UK Ultra Runners

My first BIG challenge for 2011 (Read 855 times)

Hi Jezza, Rich, Rob

Sorry for the lack of contact recently, work and everything else has ben vv hectic.

It goes without saying that I still definitely need all of your help/support/crewing/buddy running this weekend.

Plan of attack is as per my e-mail, details below in case you didn't receive 

Timings

Marathon1 - Sat 16th: Start @ The Mall @ 5pm approx and arrive @ Red Start 21:20 approx

Buddy Runner: Work colleagues doing 10k each (poss 2 people per 10k)

Marathon2 – Sat 16th:Start @ Red Start @ 21:45 approx and arrive @ The Mall 02:45 approx

Buddy Runner: Richard, another Ultrarunner + Jerry, Ultrarunner and running buddy on most of my big runs

Marathon3 – Sun 17th: Start @ The Mall @ 03:05 approx and arrive @ Red Start 09:15 approx

Buddy Runner: Jerry, running buddy on most of my Ultras

Marathon4 – Sun 17th: Official Virgin London Marathon 2011

Buddy Runner: 35,000 London Marathon runners J

Support Crew

Rob and Susie. Rob has run many marathons and ultras with me and knows how to keep me going, Susie has

been mine and Rob’s support crew for our longest race. They will be my support crew and carry all of my extra

kit, food, drinks, first aid etc and drive to meet me at certain points along the route. At this stage the meeting

points will be the start, halfway and the finish of each Marathon although not the finish of Marathon 3 as this will be

the official race start.

Myself and the support crew will have Mobile Phones with us at all times in case of any issues, I will have someone

running with me on all 3 Marathons before the official Virgin London Marathon. We will follow the Marathon Course

on the footpaths and along the safest route where no footpath is available, any shortfall in distance I can make up

at the end of each Marathon (Greenwich Park or around The Mall).

Rob - What time shall i meet you on the Saturday to give you my bag of stuff (spare socks, t-shirts, food, gels etc)? Or are you ok to take this from me when i start at The Mall @ 5pm? I have a Shooting Stars Hospice t-shire for you to wear (LARGE).

For crewing are you going to be driving and then making your way on foot to meet us at pre arranged points as previously discussed, I can easily carry enough fluid/food for a Marathon each time if required but carrying less ie Half Mara amounts would be preferred.

Jerry/Rich - Look to meet both of you at Greenwich around 21:20hrs, I will have running vests for both of you. Are you both still ok to do this?

Jerry - You still ok to run lap 2 + 3 with me? And be Chief map reader if we are required to make a detour? 

Rich - Re: getting home from The Mall, I am not sure of the best option here but have you looked at train times, staying at travelodge, crashing at friends etc.

Please advise on any other things we need to clarify, I am fully aware this is a joint effort, so a big thank you. It goes without saying that I will need to take you all out for some beers/ciders (both!!) at some stage afterwards. It is going to be a big challenge but i am confident we have enough experience (stupidness on my part) to do this.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

Hi David

I sent you an update a couple of weeks ago and late last night with regards to Saturday. Unfortunately it is a no go for me due to logistics of running into the mid morning (3am).

An option was to run a double mara (like Jerry) yet with so little running these past few weeks it's not something I would be confident of doing at the moment.

sorry buddy

David

Sorry for the late night text last night I was just in a state of mild worry that things were going ahead.

I will be there at ~9.00pm and will be at the junction of The Avenue/Blackheath Avenue in the park you have my mobile phone number if there are issues about access and can happily meet at the gate at junction Blackheath Avenue/Charlton Way

I will be carrying a backpack with at least 2 pints of fluid (for personal use) and various bits of equipment like basic first aid kit, headtorch and basic foods and gels.

My only concern is water which is the make or break for me however a simple look up on Google Maps shows there are quite a few on the route which may have taps and/or 24 hour opening which will allow me/us to stock up on munchies and fluids but as the roads will start to be closed off I imagine they may close too.

I will buy a map today and get the course drawn up so that we can use it as a basis for any detours, it will be much easier in carb depleted brains to have it all coloured in and as a picture.

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

Hi Jezza 

That is brilliant, just the sort of "leave it to me" attitude that you are fantastic at and what I really need as i am starting to brick it a bit,

If you are able to get a map and mark it up I will happily re-imburse you for the cost, this is a very very good idea. I will look to meet you at Blackheath Avenue/Charlton Way if that is ok.

Wih Rob's support we should be ok on the water/food/kit side of things, however one of the other pacers from Brighton ran the London course from finish to start and then did the Marathon and she said the people setting up the water stations etc were very supportive and offering drinks etc so Marathon 3 should be ok (I hope).

Thanks again Jerry, will be in contact tomorrow, will also call/text/e-mail Rob just to ensure he is still ok for Crew Chief.

PB's

Hi David

I sent you an update a couple of weeks ago and late last night with regards to Saturday. Unfortunately it is a no go for me due to logistics of running into the mid morning (3am).

An option was to run a double mara (like Jerry) yet with so little running these past few weeks it's not something I would be confident of doing at the moment.

sorry buddy

Hi Rich

Sorry to hear you will not be able to join Jerry and I. Thanks for leting me know. I hope the rest of your training for your BGR attempt goes well.

PB's

I met the Sector 2 Manager and his deputy tonight and I have asked them to put a couple of bottles aside for us as we near the Cutty Sark in the morning...I jest not (they are members of my running club)

We can easily improvise as well as we can easily stock up and stash the bottles and parcels behind bushes and walls, we do it all the time.

No need to brick it, we have run in the middle of the night along downland paths with nobody around us for miles, with your looks and my brains we will easily overcome anything in our way.

BTW The Union Flag shorts are coming along for the ride Big grin

Jerry

thanks David

I am sure you will have a truly amazing experience at the weekend.

Unfortunately I am no longer doing BGR due to financial reasons (see my blog for details http://richardultra.blogspot.com ). The mountains will always be there so I'm sure to go back.

So I am refocusing my efforts on more local stuff over the coming months. This running lark has become more expensive that I first thought especially where ultras are concerned if you want to take part in big events (not LDWA of course who are outstanding value for money)

David,

can I confirm that Rob will be at Greenwich at 21:45 as I would like to drop off a food bag for turn around (Milkshake and roll)

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Jeez!

Why don't you just pick up the phone and ask me!

Getting the car anywhere near the Mall on Saturday will be a no. I'm going to leave the car well away from town, possibly at Rotherhithe so I can get over the Bridge on foot and catch you along the way at 12-14 miles. I can pick up  you bag if we meet earlier but will be on foot so make sure it isn't too big. I'll then look at a good place to get to for a CP1 at about that 12 ish miles. I'll then pick out some further points along the way. it might be me and a mate rather than Susie, but we shall see. I am chatting to members of the club who might come and support but don't hold out any breath on this.

My own support will be fairly limited as I have had a pretty shoddy comeback. Without the metalwork, my leg is fairly rubbish, I have managed one 5 miler in 2 weeks as have been in a lot of pain.

I will only be supporting up until I am unable to drive owing to the barriers going up. Then I will go home and get some sleep so I can see people over the line later in the morning

http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/
                    ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

OK, I have just done a tentative 10k and it is OK. If it won't hold you up, I'll run some of the course with you. My earlier email was a bit of a rush. I can meet you earlier on in the day or be on the Mall by 4.30ish. I'll bring the camera to picture-blog your travels. I'll then meet somewhere along the route out of canary wharf and then again at Rotherhithe. Then I can spend a couple of quid in Decathlon! I'll meet again near to Greenwich and then back again at the start if possible, or back along the route again between Greenwich and Deptford. The key thing for me is not to get cordoned off so that I can't get the car out.

I'm then going to duck out nearer to sunrise as travel will be impossible other than on foot. I'll see you at the finish. If you fancy a beer afters, our club have hired a bar call EV bar, somewhere near to Waterloo station so I'll find the link and send it to you. i'll treat you to a well earned Cider!

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

We have a large area reserved at EV Bar, 97-99 Isabella Street, SE1 8DD, right next door to Southwark tube station, and about a 5min walk from Waterloo station, from 3pm onwards, and everyone is welcome. If you get there before me, the area is reserved under “Katie” and “Dulwich”, thus covering all bases! This Jezza, is my running buddy Katie and not an alter ego

I met the Sector 2 Manager and his deputy tonight and I have asked them to put a couple of bottles aside for us as we near the Cutty Sark in the morning...I jest not (they are members of my running club)

We can easily improvise as well as we can easily stock up and stash the bottles and parcels behind bushes and walls, we do it all the time.

No need to brick it, we have run in the middle of the night along downland paths with nobody around us for miles, with your looks and my brains we will easily overcome anything in our way.

BTW The Union Flag shorts are coming along for the ride Big grin

Great news about the bottles, handy that you seem to know the right people Jezza.

Not so great news that THE shorts are coming out to play Wink

PB's

OK, I have just done a tentative 10k and it is OK. If it won't hold you up, I'll run some of the course with you. My earlier email was a bit of a rush. I can meet you earlier on in the day or be on the Mall by 4.30ish. I'll bring the camera to picture-blog your travels. I'll then meet somewhere along the route out of canary wharf and then again at Rotherhithe. Then I can spend a couple of quid in Decathlon! I'll meet again near to Greenwich and then back again at the start if possible, or back along the route again between Greenwich and Deptford. The key thing for me is not to get cordoned off so that I can't get the car out.

I'm then going to duck out nearer to sunrise as travel will be impossible other than on foot. I'll see you at the finish. If you fancy a beer afters, our club have hired a bar call EV bar, somewhere near to Waterloo station so I'll find the link and send it to you. i'll treat you to a well earned Cider!

Hi Rob

Thanks, great news that you can run a bit of the route, I will pencil you in for 100km or so if that's ok (haha). It appears from the VLM website that road closures start around 6:00am. I can meet you slightly earlier somewhere on Saturday afternoon so that i can give you my stuff and put it straight in the car if that makes life easier. Don't know about meeting for a cider, i may need a shower and a lie down before inflicting myself upon people I feel. Talk tomorrow if that's ok just to finalise, I am up at the Expo tomorow P.M to pick up my Race No so might be able to meet if

it fits in with your plans,

PB's

Correct Map purchased and plotted.....jeeez it looks a long way when you draw it on astreet map!

• Last run done last night
                              • Fed and watered
                              • Mrs S giving me a lift to the start

All I need to do now is get my singing voice tuned up, I thought the greatest hits from my Dick Whittington albumEvil

Jerry

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

I left the team at 2.00am at near to the half way point having managed 27.5 miles myself for the day. This is nothing in comparison to the mammoth task of 104.8 miles that Dave is doing.

Support for the first 13 from Dave's workmate and I picked up the baton at Westferry and we ran together until I had to shift the car to the start. The only unaided part was on leg 1 from mile 8 to the start. Fab! I ran with Dave for nearly 7 on the 2nd and left to pick up the car again. Jerry took the mantle of chief mule. What great shape Dave was looking in at mile 45. Fresh as a daisy. Good luck on the rest of the mission and see you at Deptford Creek!