UK Ultra Runners

Backpacks (Read 427 times)

Currently use a dedicated water pack (a 2 litre Camelbak) which holds just the water bladder, a phone, a couple of gels and a tube of Nuun. This has worked great up to 30 miles but for longer runs I think I need a little more capacity. Extra things I think I need to pack are: 1. Some form of light waterproof 2. Food 3. More water (perhaps 3 litres) I was thinking of getting this: http://www.theomm.com/products/packs/adventureLight.html Has anyone else got any experience of this backpack or others?
      Flynn I use the North Face Gulper although my first, I am quite pleased with it. I have been able to carry 1) WP smock 2) WP trousers 3) Survival bag 4) Maps/compass/whistle 5) Hat/Gloves In the outer pockets I have chucked in a mobile phone, nuun, chew bars and bananas. The only problem I have with it is I have a 42 " chest and I had to move the front top strap up to the very top but it causes the rubber tube to rub against my nipple Surprised However, I am really impressed with the Raidlight series of hydration and day packs, mainly as they have the ability to allow you to add other bottles to them via the shoulder strap. Carrying 3 litres of water is a big thing which is about 6 pounds in weight hence why the idea of the add ons cool ( big bladder has nuun water, smaller 500 ml bottle has a sports drink)

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

Next Wednesday I'm off to Runners Need at Kings Cross to see my good friend Brad who has in stock both of these: - http://www.theomm.com/products/packs/classicMarathon25L.html and http://www.theomm.com/products/packs/adventureLight.html I'm more tempted by the Classic Marathon 25L to be honest. It's 5 litres bigger than my current backpack and has lots of features which look useful. On the other hand the Adventure Light is 20 litres (which is plenty), has the cool forward facing bottle holders and as it's a direct innovation from the Running Light 20L it's actually designed for runners. Whereas the Class Marathon is perhaps more suited to climbing up Everest or mountain marathons. I really like the look of the OMM stuff and having it really close by (to work) means I can try it out first. Brad has offered to let me fill them up with stuff and go for a run. Smile Which ever one I get I shall also be ordering this :- http://www.theomm.com/products/packs/TrioChestPouch.html I did look at the Raidlight packs but they seem to be really expensive (and French). So I shall give them a miss. Also, I don't get on that well with North Face gear. One of my current backpacks is North Face and I find it really digs in to my collar bone.
          Nice pieces of kit Flynn, 25 litres is probably a tad too big for my needs but the Last Drop 10 litre looks pretty good with the ability to have the Ultra waist pouch. I suppose I like it as I quite like having my "comfort" stuff to the front of me where it is easily accessible. I have found that over the past 6 months that I always have a set standard kit I like to have with me but it is split between two belts and the pouch would condence it into one. I am assuming you are looking to "up the mileage" this year where the pack will come into its own!

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

I'm gearing up for the longer distances that's for sure. Having a bigger rucksack gives me options. I do almost all of my running with a backpack on anyway as all my runs to work involve me carrying at least a 25 lb pack. My new pack will get used for all those training runs as well. I've been having a good think about the London to Brighton and have now decided that perhaps it's not acheivable in 2009. It's not the mileage that I don't feel that I could manage, it's the logistics. It means two nights away from home and also I really need to have someone supporting me with a car, and I don't have anyone. The feedback on the RW forums tends to be very positive where people have had others to help and rather negative where not. Having seen the organisation at DotD I can see how on the London to Brighton that the support by the organisers is pretty minimal. So at the moment the London to Brighton will be saved for another year. That means I'm back to my plan of running 40 miles maximum next year.
              I bit the bullet on Wednesday and bought the OMM Classic Marathon 25L pack. I've only run with it once for about 2 miles and it was jammed full of stuff. I have to say that it's really comfortable, fits really well and doesn't jiggle about at all. This months Runners World magazine (which I got today) has a review of running packpacks and this one came out tops, so I'm well pleased that I chose their favourite.