UK Ultra Runners

Moonlight Challenge! (Read 303 times)

Matt How did your run go? I blew out at the end of lap 4 after completing 26.2 miles, my legs were shot and I generally felt rubbish. I took a bit of a stumble on Snake Drove by the big puddles just as we met the roadway by Marshside at mile 25 and decided enough was enough. I was surprised as quite a few did the same as me and completed the 4 and called it a day, one poor bloke just sat shivering by the gas heater in the marquee. Did you do you 6 laps?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

I had wondered where you had got to mate. I stopped hearing this little whirring sound of you trying to charge up your headtorch. Smile Lap 4 convinced me that 6 laps was a distant memory. That lap it was hard to keep pace and I was significantly over my target of doing a lap every hour. Lap 5 was all down to guts and I toughed it out to a 5:19 finish and 6th place. Both of which I'm really happy with. Real shame you didn't finish the full distance but even so 26.2 mile in those conditions is still commendable. Really good to meet you at last mate also. The worse part for me was after the finish having to get all my stuff from my car. On the walk from the pub over the road to my car and back again I suddenly started getting hypothermic and very quickly had to get myself in front of the fire and drinking a cup of tea that Mike supplied me with. (He's great by the way. Top man)
        Well done, brilliant time. I have been wondering if I could have done the last lap and in the back of my mind I reckon I could have done but my legs were shot and I would have had to shuffle run it. Strangely I feel great today, I was awake by 7.30 am, had a glass of juice and went back for another hour.....'cos I could. Been to the shops, cleared the drive and patio of ice/snow ready for the next lot to dumped on us over the next 48 hours. I spoke to Celtic Tiger (from this forum and Doyen fame) today and he did the Punchbowl Marathon 30 today and said it was beautiful. Decided today that we will be running the Compton Challenge 40, Sevenoaks Circuit (30 miles) and maybe the Steyning Stinger together Great to meet you at long last although I recognised you but glad you made the connection firstBig grin BTW the head torch is in my toolbox now and will only be used for close up work from now onAngry Anyway...here is my race report you even get a honorary mention towards the endEvil grin

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

I eventually got home and into bed at 2:30am. I had stopped at Thurrock services to have a shower and although basic the facilities there were adequate. Had I gone for the 6th lap I down think I would have got home until 4am. My legs felt ok afterwards though. The only really painful bit was the top of my left leg where it joins the hip. That feels ok today though. In the morning I felt pretty good. I only had about 4 hours sleep but to be honest I was aching a fair bit and couldn't have laid in bed any longer. (Last night was another matter, I could have slept for England but had to get up and go to work) On Sunday morning I went swimming with the kids and then slept the afternoon at a play area with them, so I didn't exactly get a relaxing day but it was good to be active. Today I've had to work from home (due to family illness) and I wont do anything other than some stretching. Tomorrow I'm going to swim for 45 mins before work with a view to running by the end of the week.
            I forgot to mention as when that my Garmin 405 was fully charged at 100% when I set off on Saturday night. After the race, once I got home, it was reading 35% left. That means that it's stated limit of 8 hours isn't far from the truth and that puts a limit on my race distances when using that watch.