UK Ultra Runners

Winter Tanners (Read 312 times)

As some of us know, the LDWA Winter Tanners is due. I haven't entered as of yet as I propose to do it on the day, subject to final top permission from Mrs Jerry. So far I understand that the following people are doing it: Richard D (20 mile route) Celtic Tiger (30 mile route) Me (30 mile route) Not sure if others are planning to do it but as I have a little time on my hands over the coming weeks I was going to compare the routes for the past few years as I reckon there cannot be too many variations on a theme. I am planning to wear my light kit comprising Bum bag 2 x chew bars 3 x Carb Gels 1 x telephone 1 x toilet paper Roll eyes 1 x Nuun pkt Nuun Bottle belt 1 x 500 ml bottle (empty) 1 x 500 ml bottle ( 300 mls sports drink) I'll use the "Drink and Refill" technique that seems too work for me Maps can be put in ring folder plastic wallets. Anybody coming along that I have missed? Any thing I need to drop or add to my kit (apart from my UK buff of course Big grin )

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Celtic Tiger

Jerry, The only other thing you need is that look of boundless enthuasism you normally portray. Seriously though I am in a peculiar way looking forward to it in that firstly it will be another ultra hopefully under our belts but secondly it will be something completely different and a brand new type of challenge. I have been perusing last years instructions carefully trying to get to grips with the various abbreviations etc. I look forward to hearing your observations from your planned research.
        Just from my one time experience of navigating over the Nine Edges last September was that as long as you got your bearings and a good feel of scale against distance travelled ( a worthy art) it was pretty easy. We over ran our first turn and then very quickly learnt what it meant to run to a turn. My buddy Sleet Magnet (RA user name) made comment that she thought my map reading style was unusual as I I orientated the map to North and then mimicked the hills and valleys with my had as if to make the map 3 -dimensional! I reckon I should bring out my map one long run we do together and not run from memory but to run from the map, it is a very different experience and teaches you to "know" your bearing to North. Looking at the LDWA instructions it would be good to mark all OS Grid references down on the map and then it will become obvious which public paths we are to run. I don't think there will be a reliance on the map but it will be a good back out plan.

Jerry

MostlyLurking has posted on Runners World. Instructions are being emailed this week end apparently.

Jerry

Celtic Tiger

Good news on the Tanners front. Myself and Benyo have enlisted a five times Tanners veteran from Orr for Sunday which will make life a lot easier in navigational terms. Looking forward to it now.
              Oi, I hear cheats being shouted from the changing roomsBig grin Good call CT, but don't ley the veteran do all the navigating, you and Benyo need the experience as well to prepare you for the BIG on on 20/9/09. Just come back from my first outing since the 28/12 and felt great, well not quite great but OK.

Jerry

Celtic Tiger

After my first foray into an Ldwa event, I can confirm that I am truly hooked. A wonderful mixture of running, walking and navigation with the most wonderful scenery over the snow covered Surrey Downs. The 30 mile couse is tough and unrelenting, truly ultra terrritory. The three checkpoints were well stocked with Cold drinks, biscuiyts and fruit and the last one even had tea and coffee. All this for £2.50. Need I say more. Roll on the Punchbowl.
                  Well done CT, I keep forgetting about the Punchbowl. Wow the PB is £6.00 for non-membersShocked Maybe some running races could learn from them

Jerry