UK Ultra Runners

Great intentions, but no execution (Read 265 times)

Last night I had a 20 mile run scheduled. I'd prepared for it, thought I was well up for it and then on the way home from work just came to the conclusion that I wasn't feeling good and I decided not to go. This isn't like me at all. Generally if I plan to run ... I run. I'd actually planned a rest week next week so I shall just call this week a rest week and do the long run then instead. So I'm still on target for completing my training for the MC. So why was I not feeling good? 1/ Had a couple of glasses of red wine on Tuesday night. This wouldn't normally be a factor in feeling tired the next day though. 2/ Didn't sleep well on Tuesday night which makes the red wine consumption factor. 3/ Had a huge curry on Wednesday lunchtime. No beer. Just loads of food 4/ Was so tired on Wednesday afternoon that actually drifted off to sleep at my desk very briefly. Smile 5/ Feel asleep on the train on the way home and felt knackered when I woke up at my station. So, what lessons are learnt. a/ No drinking the day before I plan a long run b/ No curry at lunchtime on the day of a long run On the bright side it was so foggy last night that it would probably have been dangerous running around the country lanes near me. I probably would have got run over. Sad
      I was going to ask you today how your long run went, not too good it appears. I don't think you can be too scientific about it, maybe your body was telling you something, after all it has been through the mill of late. I have been lucky enough not to have any of the illnesses going around over the past 12 months but have felt very run down at times, which I suspect is a mixture of training, working late, doing two jobs ( I lecture on the side) being on call and general family "must do stuff". I have found that if I have a big meal these days and I don't remain active I will instantly snooze if I sit down in the armchairBlush I was walking home last night and I had this real urge to go for a run and had to really force myself not to, there was no point in doing it...I think you did the right thing by not running last night, if you are not feeling right, your not feeling right. Sometimes it is better to be a DNS than a DNF

Jerry
      A runners blog-updated daily

It feels weird today. I am working from home and usually I feel pretty stiff the day after a long run. But as I didnt do it I feel "normal" which is odd.
          What is your current weekly mileage at the moment and what is your current Long run distance? I am working on a 46 mile week with a 22 mile on Sunday. Then more of the same for next week but a 24 miler on the weekend with a shallow taper to the MC

Jerry
          A runners blog-updated daily

Purdey

Self anointed title

Last night I had a 20 mile run scheduled. I'd prepared for it, thought I was well up for it and then on the way home from work just came to the conclusion that I wasn't feeling good and I decided not to go.
            Good decision. Most likely is that it was a combination of the factors that you mentioned. In particular the large lunch could have caused a drop in your energy levels as all energy went to help out your digestive system!

Average weekly mileage is 40-45 miles. Longest run around 20. Depends how I feel the afternoon before a run. Might be 23 might be 19.
                Good decision. Most likely is that it was a combination of the factors that you mentioned. In particular the large lunch could have caused a drop in your energy levels as all energy went to help out your digestive system!
                I think you could well be right. It was a particularly large lunch. Lesson learned.