UK Ultra Runners

All hail to Celtic Tiger (Read 310 times)

Celtic Tiger a.k.a George to the few of us have met him ran the Cotswold 100 yesterday and today.

As some of the membership here know, CT has tried to recruit us as co-runners on this tough little number since January. I still look back to January at the Country to Capital Ultra when he was doing the "Celtic Magic" on our very own Mr Immune (who I have to admit nearly said yes a few times, but only to get CT off his back )I had the hard sell for at least 4 weeks prior to this and needed the break!

CT started at 12 noon on Friday and texted me this morning at just gone midnight to tell me he was half way and to tell me the hills were demons, not a nice thought as you enter the witching hour. I have not had a full story apart from a phone call from his wife (who was not at all happy may I say) to say he had completed it but he and some others were looking after another runner who had collapsed. I won't give anymore information now (as I don't have much) but to say that George finished the challenge and is making his way home.

I don't think this is a matter of time as the temperatures were 28ยบ C yesterday and today but a matter of total bump and grind, mind boggling tenacity, pig-headedness and physical superiority. George you are brilliant, well done mate.

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Massive achievement by George, very very big distance. I look forward to hearing about it in more detail from the man himself at some stage, i expect he is recovering big style at the moment, and who can blame him.

Well done George, first person from our group (as i like to call it) to have done a 100miler.

PB's

1mile: 5:36 - 20/06/2012 - Arethusa Mile (Bushy Park)

5K: 18:55 - 24/07/11 - Bushy Park

10K: 39:15 - 19/03/11 - 2nd 10k of below race

Half Mara: 1:26.50 - 19/03/11 - Dorney Lake 1:26.50)

Mara: 3:12.50 - 04/062012 - Kent Roadrunner

50k (Trail): 4:34.37 - 12/08/2012 - Salisbury 54321

50miles (Trail): 7:27.43 - 04/02/2012 - Thames Trot 50

100miles (Trail): 22:14.10 - 03/03/2012 - Thamespath 100 (102miles)

George has just popped around with his wife and one of their daughters to return some kit I lent him. He looks amazing considering what he has gone through he tells me he has swollen feet but a worrying sign that his right thigh is numb to touch. I have a feeling the latter is caused my swollen muscles which maybe pinching off a nerve, I am sure it will get better quickly.

He has lost a bit of weight but as he quite rightly says, the heat of the weather really suppresses the appetite.

Jerry
        A runners blog-updated daily

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Wow! George you are amazing! Fantastic work and a credit to the training that you put in. Now you can put up your feet and watch us run a shorter distance now!!
          http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/

Congratulations George on achieving this magnificent goal.

Amazing effort by any standard. I heard bits and pieces from various sources about this tough, challenging and exhilirating race.

Look forward to more details