UK Ultra Runners

Massage/muscle strain (Read 272 times)

After my little "Racette" this evening ( a fantastic 119 strong 4 mile Bash run) I had a chat with a sports physio who happens to be a member about the continuing problem with my left buttock.

I have found that if I sit on a hard seat I am OK but put me on a soft seat (aeroplane/office/car) I get a real pain down my leg via the buttock. We are happy it is not sciatica as there is no pins and needles or tertiary pains so was planning an hour session with him on Thursday.

I plan to go ahead with the session but am a little worried about recovery time from a minor pull like this after a massage...any ideas?

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

ultra-Bobban

Cider IS carb loading

Dooes this sound like top of the hamstring tendonitis? I've had it before but a long while back. It hurts right where your hip joins the back of the hamstring. It could be overuse but it could be from as simple things as training on different type of ground, tripping over or leg lifts to clear obstacles while running. I have procured some very strong anti-inflamatories from a medical friend that should see you through the ridgeway should you need. Give me a buzz when you get back from Canada.
      http://ultrabobban.blogspot.com/
        Hi Rob

Excellent, I can now message during work time, Eric must have updated the RA software.

This morning I am really stiff and glad I didn't push it too much last night at my Mob match. My left cheek is a tad uncomfortable today but may be a combination of anovernight flight, no proper food and then a race last night.

I am resting up now and plan to see the phsio over the next few days if it does not calm down.

As for pain killers, nice offer but I think I may have to think about that one as I am very against them in race conditions.

Jerry

Great news from the Physio it appears I have a name for my condition and because of that feel instantly better, it is called Drunken Sop Piriformis Syndrome. This is when the piriformis muscle (the extendor muscle) in the buttock area becomes tight and knotted, the sciatic nerve travels through this muscle and becomes compressed/irritated by the contraction causing secondary pain down into the thigh and other areas of the leg.

He stretched, yanked and stuck all form of boney appendages into my buttock which loosened it up in a matter of about 15 minutes. Today is the first time in a month when I have been able to sit down without pain and now feel as though I am walking completely differently and not waddling like a duck.

It is not totally fixed but I have a few exercises to do to get things settled and then see how it goes.

I will pop out for a very gentle run tonight with a few chicken routes set in to allow me to get home easily if required but feeling much more positive.

Jerry