UK Ultra Runners

My next race (Read 379 times)

It is confirmed, I now have my race number through for my next Ultramarathon, the Moonlight Challenge a 32.75 mile night time run starting at 6.00pm with an 8 hour cut off. This is more than doable but it will be a strange feeling doing off-road in the dark around farm tracks Surprised I am going to get Christmas over and done with and get some practice running in the local woodlands with a head torch just to get a feel of how my pace will be effected. My training plan is in place and I have started an 8 week refresher (comments please). It starts off slowly just to get my legs settled after my recent 30 mile ultra. I also have a good feeling that the field size is going to e very low as I have just had my running number through Big grin

Jerry
    A runners blog-updated daily

Richard D

..looks like you'll be needing X Ray spex, rather than a head torch for this 'un, Jer. No wonder an opticians sponsoring the bugger.
        Big grin The route is right out in the sticks just east of Herne Bay and the organiser tells me that my night sight should get settled in quite quickly. I mapped the route on Map my Run here but it seems to go by the A229 Thanet Way for one section so I can see my eyes will be shot for the next section unless there are no street lights on that section. Have a look at the elevation, it probably rises no more that 20 feet in the central section of the lap, so almost like a pancake. I am still going for hill training in Sevenoaks/Knockholt/Chevening/NDW to get my stamina built up....good call? Also planning to get some fartlek work in, may need to get some track work in Wink

Jerry

Richard D

hhhmmmm.....ultra runs are one thing, but at night time and mid winter as well??! barmy! But if you are going to do that sort of distance (and I can see you are determined to), the NDW/Pilgrims Way are excellent places to do them. One of my favourite runs I used to do every fortnight when I was into this long stuff back in 2003/04 was to park at Polhill in the National Trust car park in the woods there off Shacklands Road, and then run down via Shoreham to Otford and then along the Pilgrims Way to Wrotham village where I'd buy drinks at the shop, and then up the hill along the A20 to West Kingsdown, and then head off to the left overland to Eynsford, (real countryside round there) and then via Crockenhill to Chelsfield and Polhill. Must have been around 26 miles, but plenty of hills along the way - real gritty stuff, but meant that a mere 50k was a pissacake when it came to the real thing.
            Good call on the route, I know that Celtic Tiger (new guy to this forum) will be up for part of that route on Sunday as the Tanners is calling Big grin CT...you around to comment? Tongue

Jerry

Richard D

yeah - I'm doing Tanners next month, as part of my prep for my double header in April.
                CT and I are more than likely doing the 30 mile section. Are you going for the 20?

Jerry

Richard D

Yip - I don't do ultras no more. You've got 22 miles down on your schedule! Sad
                    ...You've got 22 miles down on your schedule! Sad
                    Yeah I know, I will see how I feel on the day Smile

Jerry

Celtic Tiger

Sounds good Jerry. I have now taken the plunge and entered the Winter Tanners (11th JAN) and the Punchbowl marathon which is on the 8th Feb the day after your next epic so will cetainly be up for joining you on the scheduled long runs as they will fit in perfectly with me.
                        For me it's been a toss-up between the Punchbowl 30 and the Moonlight Challenge, and I think I've made my mind up to do the latter. I like the idea of both, and I can see pros and cons of both too but I think on balance the Moonlight Challenge is going to be the one.
                          For me it's been a toss-up between the Punchbowl 30 and the Moonlight Challenge, and I think I've made my mind up to do the latter. I like the idea of both, and I can see pros and cons of both too but I think on balance the Moonlight Challenge is going to be the one.
                          BRILLIANT Flynn, it looks like it is a triple then with you me and Rob running the MC Big grin

Jerry

Just got my race number:
                              Big grin It's a BIG field then Great news Sorry, getting organised again and just getting the facts about the race together. If you want to see the interactive map, it can be see here: Moonlight Challenge course, of course multiply by 5 Wink

Jerry