Barefoot Runners

Increase Mileage? (Read 423 times)

Lia's Daddy

Need some advice.

I've done seven runs (2.2 miles each) in my Vibrams over the past month. Tonight is the night I dedicate to running in the Vibrams and was thinking of increasing to 3.2 miles. Other than some calf soreness at first and a little bruising on the ball of my left foot after a couple of runs I have felt pretty good.

I need some opinions about whether or not people think it is reasonable to add a mile to my minimalist run at this point?

"Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
    Buzzie

Bacon Party!

Bruising on the ball of your foot? On more than one occasion?

I've never had anything approaching a bruise.

But I have managed to break a metatarsal and sprain the Lisfranc joint - all without a hint of anything being wrong with my form. (And I cannot entirely attribute either of these things to barefoot or minimalist running - I was doing very high mileage at that point. I will say, that I'm more cautious in very minimal shoes than I am barefoot, concerned that the shoes are masking important feedback and allowing sloppy form.)

If you're doing something that's causing visible damage, I'd recommend figuring it out before increasing mileage.

(But maybe I've just become overly conservative...  I'm sure the forum regulars will be along shortly with their recommendations.)

Liz

pace sera, sera

Lia's Daddy

There was actually no visible bruising. Tenderness might describe it better. It happened after my second run in the Vibrams.

"Stadiums are for spectators. We runners have nature and that is much better." Juha "the Cruel" Väätäinen
        LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

I'd say go for it, at an easy pace.  Keep in tune with the way you are feeling, and give yourself the option to cut your run short if need be.  That's pretty generic advice anyway.

Lia's Daddy

I went with LedLincoln's advice (thanks!) and all feels good. I actually went 3.4 miles which is my longest run in Vibrams. It was by far the best run I have had all week!

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Bob, sounds like your conversion is going just fine!  Keep doing whatever you're doing! Smile

(I love running in my Vibrams.)