On the Bench

Roll Call 5/16 (Read 462 times)

I'm thinking it's time for another status update.. it seems like a lot of benchers are trying to make a comeback on the road/track. How's that working out? Eryn and Claire, how is your sanity holding up during the week off? Abba, are you getting around alright? Eric, are you still with us??
      I've been doing a little bit of everything, and while my shins aren't reacting too well to the suddent jump back into running, the foot pain is tolerable. I have been doing a lot of run/walk mixes and the epsom salt foot soaks every night and whlie I'm not cured it definitely feels a bit better. I'm actually thinking that it may be the biking bothering me, as I felt intense pain while riding today. I can't figure out why, maybe the pulling motion with the clipless pedals is doing something?? I am supposed to go back to the doctor on Monday, but I haven't had my MRI yet (insurance is taking forever to approve it since he wants it with and without contrast). If I can't get that done tomorrow or Friday then I'll have to cancel. I'm not going to waste 2 hours driving and money if there is no new information. I had the bloodwork done, but they were sending the results right to the doctor, so I'll have to wait to get them until I can see him. I did run a 5K on Saturday with my dad. It was probably pushing too much too soon as my shins are still suffering, but it was fun Smile AND as a plus, my DH was so inspired watching me suck it up and overcome the foot pain to race that he says he wants to try to run a 5K despite his arthritis. I printed him out the C25K program and he sounded really excited (this is like the least athletic person you will ever meet). I told him I'd do it with him, but he hasn't wanted to start it yet.
        Shaunna, I sure hope your DH starts up with the program!! I get happy whenever I hear about someone's family member catching the bug! Plus, it's so nice for someone to be able to relate with in the same house. I hope that he starts up and likes it. March 20 was the day that something happened to my hip. Think it had a lot to do with my being a beginner and doing too much too soon, as well as going from exclusively sand/ snow to pavement a couple times. Not sure what I did, but I've been doing my own rehab. I had to completely stop (only started in Jan) and then started walking a bit, then started jogging, just babying my leg/hip. I have seen a dr. and the next step would be physical therapy and a consult somewhere else for shoe recommendations. Not sure I need either at this point. I've worked my way up to 4 mi. at a time. Yesterday was the first time I "felt" problems, but just going slow and steady. If I can't manage this on my own I will do a phys. therapist consult and maybe the shoes too. I have a pair of new shoes coming Friday (Asics), so we'll give those a try and see how they go. I'm not quite on the bench, but not quite "running" yet! Big grin
          So far, so good. I am 9 weeks post. Although I jump started my return a little, I'm maintaining even walk/run by either time or distance, alternate days, 40 min or less per session. I plan on just hanging at this level for another week or two as I am back outdoors and trying to reintroduce impact. Timing the sessions is really helping me to keep my total running time/session to reasonable amounts. Shaunna and Joni - does sound like both of you are making progress as well- sounds like relatively good news so far.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
          Thyroid Support Group

Hi everybody. Smile Looks like I'm joining ya'll on the bench. My hamstring/hip thing has been bothering me long enough I'm starting to take it seriously. It started as discomfort a few weeks ago and being the addicted runner that I am, I ran right through it. Duh! Did the 80-mile relay and a half marathon on it. Blush So here I am! LOL! I've not run in a week now and it's killing me. Tongue I tried last night since the pain is gone when I walk but the pain was back within a quarter mile once I started to run. Cry It wasn't bad but since I could feel it, I was good and stopped. I had a race scheduled last weekend and had to miss it and now I'll be missing my 5K this weekend too. ::sigh:: This sucks! Angry Teresa
              Hi everybody. Smile Looks like I'm joining ya'll on the bench. My hamstring/hip thing has been bothering me long enough I'm starting to take it seriously. It started as discomfort a few weeks ago and being the addicted runner that I am, I ran right through it. Duh! Did the 80-mile relay and a half marathon on it. Blush So here I am! LOL! I've not run in a week now and it's killing me. Tongue I tried last night since the pain is gone when I walk but the pain was back within a quarter mile once I started to run. Cry It wasn't bad but since I could feel it, I was good and stopped. I had a race scheduled last weekend and had to miss it and now I'll be missing my 5K this weekend too. ::sigh:: This sucks! Angry Teresa
              Awww...sorry to hear that Teresa! I think the hardest part of this is restraint. I find it very difficult to listen to my body and lay off, but I know if I don't, I'm just going to be putting myself one step forward and 2 steps back. I'm back "running" after about 18 years, so it's a whole new ball game. Blush I hope that you recover quickly!!
                Hi Teresa, what kind of stuff are you doing for your injury? I read your bio - you and your family are amazing!!! So are your times! I hope you are a poster child somewhere - you are a true inspiration.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                Thyroid Support Group

Teresa- I agree with Cheryl, your story is incredible and inspiring! Sorry that you are joining us... do you have any idea what is causing the hip pain? Joni and Cheryl- It does sound like you are both making progress. Joni I think you summed it up perfectly with this: "I'm not quite on the bench, but not quite "running" yet! " I think my biggest fear is that since there isn't "anything wrong with me" I will always be dealing with this pain. It's so discouraging to try to stage a comeback when I know the really bad pain could return at any time.
                    It's so discouraging to try to stage a comeback when I know the really bad pain could return at any time.
                    nods head, I feel your fear - I'm moving, but I am definitely nervous.

Go With The Flow
                    Thyroid Support Group

nods head, I feel your fear - I'm moving, but I am definitely nervous.
                      I second that! And it came true a couple days ago as I started feeling pain. I laid right off, but it's like walking on glass!! Tongue

Along for the Ride

I think my biggest fear is that since there isn't "anything wrong with me" I will always be dealing with this pain. It's so discouraging to try to stage a comeback when I know the really bad pain could return at any time.
                        Shaunna, what is your injury/problem? I missed most of your first posts and think you are having back pain? If that is the case, we need to chat. I went from herniated disc with spasming, hurting back, unable to lift a gallon of milk in September 06 to finishing the Vancouver Half Marathon in 2:08 two weeks ago ... My Physical therapist deserves all the kudos!

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

That was one of the reasons my mom was opposed to my having surgery - she thought I would have it and then I would still hurt. (She recommended I try taking tylenol. LOL.) I think she missed the point which is I wasnt doing it because of the pain. I was doing it because I wasnt convinced I was going to heal anytime soon and wanted to move on with my life and get off crutches without concerns about losing blood supply to my hip. Shaunna - I know you are in a really tough place and totally frustrated. And I know you just want to be able to do the things you like. I think my recommendation for you is to take a week off if you are currently hurting. Then start gradually building up in both running and biking. I am talking about C25K speed, or the program I made for Claire in the 100-mile pace group. If you and your husband do it together thats even cooler! http://www.runningahead.com/groups/100/Forum/b132caa81cce4af18e29e3c348b308ce/1 Something similar with biking too. I know you can run farther and it seems like a huge step backwards, but something tells me if you step back a lot and build really, really slowly it may work. Then again, it may not. But thats what I would try at this point. Also, do you know what blood work your doc ordered? Have you thought about seeing a rheumatologist? It doesnt seem to me like your problem is rheum based, but maybe it wouldnt hurt?
                            My update: I am definately getting better. I made it to class yesterday and then made it to a restaurant for a friend's birthday. I cant believe how exhausted I still am! Though that too is getting better - I didnt nap the last couple days. Saturday I drove through the park where I used to run with my mom and I got home and felt like totally beat. Same thing Sunday after crutching through blockbuster. So getting to class and dinner is huge progress! I am still pretty sore (I rolled onto my side last night and was really miserable for about 5 mins after that!) and my love-hate relationship with lortab continues. I went to pick up a refill yesterday and the pharmacy didnt have any non-generic for me to try. Cry I still think its worth trying, but evidently no one else does! (My doctor's office finally agreed.....) And I am pretty weak, especially abductors. I know (think?) Dr. Red-Head cut through the gluts and I was warned that that would be the weakest, but I tried to do some really easy side leg-lifts yesterday and I couldnt even lift my leg a tiny bit!!! Still feeling like I am on an emotional roller-coaster. It sounds like you all know that story a bit better than you would like! I need to study. Its time to start getting back to normal. I am going to try to ride my bike to the library today (still cant drive on lortab) though something tells me every bump is going to kill. We shall see. Heal up everyone!
                              Gabe- It's a problem in my right foot, pain that started during a long run. I've been treated for a stress fracture, a neuroma, gotten custom orthotics, had PT, taken time off... nothing. All my xrays are fine as is my MRI. I'm in pain even if I take lots and lots of time off. No problelms whatsoever with my right leg or foot before this happened, and the doctors (I have seen 4 now, 2 podiatrists and 2 ortho surgeons) have no idea what is causing my pain. Abba- Thanks so much for the plan. I saw that you had made one for Claire and I thought about doing it, but I guess my convern is that I never had a fracture or any relief upon stopping activity, so taking a week off won't really help (except my shins maybe). I took 6 weeks off on crutches and a walking cast back around December and almost all of April again completely off all activity and I had no relief. For awhile running or lots of walking was making it feel worse at night, but now that I have started the foot soaks with epsom salts, that has stopped completely. It's just a constant pain on and off all day, regardless of what I do. It jumps between my outer toes, the base of my toes, and running up and down my 5th metatarsel. The doctors think it's either rheumatoid arthritis (which I know they tested for in the blood work, but I'm not sure what else they were looking for) or chronic pain, and said that there is no harm in activity. I appreciate your advice a lot though and I think I am going to try to do more run/walking like the C25K plan and all my runs at a very VERY easy pace. I am glad to hear that you are up and about.. good luck with the bike ride and getting back to studying!
                              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I'm still here! Work has been insanely busy. By the way, your computer CAN get fried in a power surge. I found out the hard way on Monday. My office building had a scheduled power down for maintennance. I turned off my computers but left them plugged in. I came in on Monday and found one of the computers' hard disk would not turn on. I'm guessing the power surge on power up fried the drive's circuit. I've been working on a project for the last several months, and the deadline was supposed to be this week. Everything was on that computer. Fortunately, per chance I copied everything onto another computer for testing so nothing was lost other than a couple of days to rebuild the fried machine. Had I not made a copy on Friday, I would have been completely screwed. So the lesson is always back up your data! I went to my MRI last Friday. It was a neat experience. I didn't get claustrophobic, but do you know that if you leave your arms completely still for a long time, they would hurt? I have no idea when the results will come in. In the mean time, my behind continues to be a pain, although not as bad lately. My biggest fear is that it's not as sore due to the warmer weather. Come winter, it'll return and I'll be really disappointed.