On the Bench

Roll Call 5/16 (Read 462 times)

Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

I just received a call from my orthopedist. He went through my MRI and said I have a slipped disc. It is rubbing against a nerve, which is why I'm feeling the pain. It's not good, but now it has a name, and that is good. He recommends PT, cortisone injection if I want, and surgery as a last resort. I'm slowly disliking PT, because I feel the PTs don't like me anymore. The PTA said that "my body's trying to tell me something, that running is bad for me". She was repremanding me for damaging my body through running and I didn't think she should be judging me. I probably also have a slipped disc in the middle of my spine too. Maybe they can fix that one while they're at it.
      (((hugs))) - on my way out, not much to say to that - can you get in with a different PT? Sorry the news wasn't better - at least you know what you are dealing with now.

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
      Thyroid Support Group

Along for the Ride

I just received a call from my orthopedist. He went through my MRI and said I have a slipped disc. It is rubbing against a nerve, which is why I'm feeling the pain. It's not good, but now it has a name, and that is good. He recommends PT, cortisone injection if I want, and surgery as a last resort. I'm slowly disliking PT, because I feel the PTs don't like me anymore. The PTA said that "my body's trying to tell me something, that running is bad for me". She was repremanding me for damaging my body through running and I didn't think she should be judging me. I probably also have a slipped disc in the middle of my spine too. Maybe they can fix that one while they're at it.
        Find a different PT ... I just went thru the same thing. L4/L5 central herniation. PT with massive core strengthening, Yoga and swimming helped. I saw a sports medicine/spine doc who is a runner and has back issues himself. He cleared me to run 2-3 times a week. He answered "yes" to the question if I can train for another marathon. I have researched surgery as well. The latest studies suggest that the outcome for patients with or without surgery is the same after 2 years. The evils of spine surgery are that once you disrupt (= fix) one level the levels below and above will act up. In my (former) job as a Operating room nurse I have seen patients come back for more ...

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

I made it to the library on my bike! Bumps did hurt a bit, but I was able to avoid most of them. Leg is definately super weak and getting on and off was sort of painful. But I feel like now I can get at least a few places that are too far to walk! Shaunna - I would still try dropping your miles back and slowly building up. Run-walk or just run are both good as long as you go really, really slowly. I know you feel like you have tried it and you did the boot\crutches thing, but maybe you jumped back in too quickly? Also, have they thought about nerve problems? Like tarsal tunnel? MC - dont you feel justified in some ways now that you have a diagnosis? Now you know what you are treating and are up against. Surgery really should be your last resort - it doesnt always cure the pain, but often patients get pretty desperate they are willing to try anything. And it is pretty huge surgery. And you definately need a therapist who will work with you to achieve your goals and get you back to where you want to be. I feel like it is their place to help you learn from your mistakes (like if you increased your miles too fast to help you develop a plan where you go more slowly!), but not to tell you that you just cant run. In some ways, your therapist needs to be your cheerleader, helping you push yourself so you can get back to where you want to be even when it isnt fun. I was thrilled when my doctor understood that I wanted to run again and she said there was no reason I couldnt. When I talked with those who told me otherwise (granted, just a quick curbside!), I realized we had different goals and just ended the conversation pretty quickly and was glad I wasnt seeing him as my doctor!

Along for the Ride

And you definately need a therapist who will work with you to achieve your goals and get you back to where you want to be. I feel like it is their place to help you learn from your mistakes (like if you increased your miles too fast to help you develop a plan where you go more slowly!), but not to tell you that you just cant run. In some ways, your therapist needs to be your cheerleader, helping you push yourself so you can get back to where you want to be even when it isnt fun. I was thrilled when my doctor understood that I wanted to run again and she said there was no reason I couldnt. When I talked with those who told me otherwise (granted, just a quick curbside!), I realized we had different goals and just ended the conversation pretty quickly and was glad I wasnt seeing him as my doctor!
            Yes, yes and yes! The therapist and doctor have to be your cheerleader - Abba, I love that analogy! When you're hurting and depressed and worried ... the last thing you need is someone telling you you can't run anymore.

Your living is determined not so much by what life brings to you as by the attitude you bring to life; not so much by what happens to you as by the way your mind looks at what happens.

Out of suffering have emerged the strongest souls; the most massive characters are seared with scars.

Abba- I don't think that anyone has suggested tarsal tunnel, though reading about it I would say it's possible. I am still waiting for insurance to approve my MRI (they are taking forever since he order it with and without contrast). I was supposed to get it last week and see the doc again Monday but since I haven't gotten it yet, I am going to cancel Monday's appt. But I'm guessing that tarsal tunnel would show up on the MRI? I will do all my runs slow and throw in walks occasionally for awhile, building milage very slowly. I am going to try to run on the beach more too, I think the sand will have less impact. Thanks Smile MC- It's good that you have a diagnosis, but it's not a good diagnosis. That's really tough. I agree with the others about finding another PT if you can. She totally shouldn't be judging you! I think all of us who have doctors tell us to stop running should get cards printed up that list all the benefits of running on the body Smile
              Mile Collector

Abs of Flabs

It was the physical therapist's assistant that said I shouldn't run. She works with my PT, who just completed her first marathon at Boston. The PT was good in that the first time I went to see her for a hip flexor problem, she said I can continue to run. The assistant was definitely better at demonstrating all the exercises at targetting the problem. Maybe it's her personality to quit if something hurts. But us runners will keep on doing what we love because that's how we define ourselves. My doctor told me the news over the phone. I called up the clinic and told the receptionist over the phone my name, and that I needed to make an appointment with a PT. She asked if I was a patient there. I said yes, and she said that she remembered my name. Great... I go there often enough that the receptionists know me and the PTA thinks I'm abusing my body. Anyways, Gabster, welcome to the bench, and thanks for the info. I'm not in favor of surgery either. My doctor's actually an orthopedic surgeon. He didn't suggest surgery off the bat, so I'll take that is a good sign. Ex-Gimp, it's awesome that you're getting your mobility back. In your case, you got the good kind of pain. Everyday, you'll feel a little less of it. I love that feeling! Thanks everyone for your support!