Diabetic Runners

Some of my runs. (Read 871 times)

Wow 92 I don't blaim you. It was 70 and humid here. I ran with water on a hilly route tonight. Ran at a slow pace though to allow for the hills and extra weight. Slow and steady gets the job done. I'm looking forward to the weekend as I am going for a non stop 5k hopefully on a flat course. Taking a rest day tomorow. Your're right in not making up the distance tomorrow - just consider today a rest day. Especially if you are having a pain in your knee. Any idea what is causing it. Previous injury? Knees are tricky, pain can result from you quads your calves or your hamstrings being tight. They all connect up to your knees. I believe the main connection is the iliotibial band (not sure about the spelling) It can play havic with your knees. That's why stretching is so important.
    WHO FARTLEK"D ?
      I strained my left knee walking the Indy Half Marathon. But weather seems to bother it more. This morning I have made several trips up to management via the stairs, 4 flights and over o the otherside of the bld. While doing so my knee always feels much better. Using it seems to be a big help BTW the snoreness is just below and behind the kneecap

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Years ago a buddy of mine, a smoker, was determined to quit. He said his biggest motivator to keep at it was the fact that he announced it to the world. To this day I believe he was successful. Similarly, here is my official announcement. I have been prepping (foolishly at that) for a half marathon on September 3rd. (I may have already hinted at it in previous posts, I can't rembember.) Anyway, there is a user group for a couple of us preparing for half marathons this fall and I've been posting on there for the same reason as my buddy announced his efforts to quit smoking. So if you want to visit us over there at Half Marathon Trainers (Geneseo Half Marathon) and then bop back here to criticize or recommend, feel free. I have always been an over-enthusiastic runner and have many times gotten myself injured. I admit this run to be a bit of foolishness having been walking the past two years, but this will support our college's track team and some co-workers will be jogging it (some or most of it actually) and I thought I would try the distance with only just enough time to get my long runs within reach of the 13.1 distance. So pay me a visit over there and if you seem me getting into trouble, say so. Yes, Forrest. Some of the runs lately are now under 9:00. It is a combination of fitness and the absolutely wonderful weather we've been having here lately. They are calling for Starflight's hot weather to move over us this weekend so I'm sure my long run tomorrow will be quite slower---which it's suppose to be anyway. John Half Marathon Trainers

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Hot adn muggy today but did a nice slow run. My left knee ache beforeand after the run. Walking or running makes it feel better. Strange! I think it is FOP knee (F@$%ing Old People's Knee)

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Hope you are icing it down after your runs.
            WHO FARTLEK"D ?
              Dave, Finnished that artical on Treadmilling. I am disapointed in the conclusion, but I do not think it is a surprise. Oh well, the Treadmill serves it purpose, A year and half ago I couldn't run to the cornner, and I am the 3rd house from it. Tonight one of my daughters wants to run, we will go late, after 9pm, it'll still be in the upper 90s and the asphalt will still be radiating heat. We have a 1 mile lake park road cut out so it'll be 2mi there and back, one small hill, and a gradual grade through most of it so the return leg is slightly up hill. I have two daughters that want to run, both have not done it in some time and so we walk and run, but I enjoy being with them, without thier mother and husbands. We found it after one of my daughters invited me to run at the track with her one day, and she managed to run 4 laps without stopping. She thought she had run a mile, I had to tell her that it was 1/6 mile track. We haven't been back sense. (: I'll take my HRM and time the event, haven't done that yet. Joe
              Age is not an illusion
                Don"t get me wrong - I think they are probably the best alternative and you get a great cardio workout. I use them too when the weather is unbearable. Fortumately we only get about two weeks of this extremely hot and humid weather. Its the snow storms that sometimes ground us up here. I'm sure John knows what I am talking about as Buffalo usually gets it worse than us being on the south side of the lakes.
                WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                  We are right on the edge of the nasty snow belt that makes Buffalo famous. It gets tiring!

Hey, Joe. That's great that your daughter is taking an interest! Of my 3 boys I have 1 and a half runners. Tim is running my distance runs with me on Saturdays as I get ready for the half marathon in September. Mike will go out for a jog a couple of times a week and really dislikes it I think. It serves only to keep him in shape for school sports. Chris, my oldest is a research scientist in DC and sits in front of a computer screen and goes to meetings all day. Puts in long hours and will run only when he's chased. John

John Yes I am very pleased that my eldest Daughters ask me to run with them. They both use to run, but with the babies, and family needs they have not had the time. One of them just had a baby and wanted to loose some weight and so she started running, but was not getting very far so she asked me to join her when we could get together, I suggested that we invite my other daughter too. Well we can do it on weekends. I look forward to it and am disapointed if we can't.
                      Age is not an illusion
                        Hope you are icing it down after your runs.
                        Actually no I have not been doing so. Ran yesteday and today and feel great. My knees feel much better after runs. My legs get sore durning the run behind and just above and below the knee. The knee its self has no pain or sorness

Dave, I took no offense I was anticapating some differances, but not as great as was felt. Pace was a full 20% slower last night outdoors. I quess 10% can be chalked up to wind resistance from just moving through the air, the rest from the slopes, hills, heat and some walk we put in at the turn around. What surprised me was how slow I had to move to stay within the 80% zone ( 153 bpm ). I mean I had to fight to hold back. It is so slow, after about a mile, that it is hard to have a stride, little tiny steps. Perhaps the value is that it will take longer to run thus the system, in the end, will will get a better work out. Joe
                          Age is not an illusion
                            Starflight, Check this page out It describes different types and locations of pain, and some suggestions as to what to do about it. It is very informative, perhaps it will help. http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_5/index.shtml Joe
                            Age is not an illusion
                              Hi guys Just completed my long run. Accomplished my 5k non stop plus 6 =2min runs on and off the bike. tolal 7k 10:38 pace. After 3k I felt really good bu stopped at 5 k anyway as I don't want to push the distance much beyond the 10 % rule. Cool 60degs.Perfect temperature! Knocked off another goal! FBG 77.4(normal for me. Ate half a ww bagel and post run BG 88. Obviously a begal b4 a run works for me! Dave
                              WHO FARTLEK"D ?
                                Thanks Joe! I used to jog and walk to my start point and oflate I have been just walking. I think my legs would like me to go back to the jog walk warmup. I printed out the streching pages. That will help too.