Diabetic Runners

Welcome to Diabetic Runners User Group (Read 562 times)

Welcome to the group, rootlaura. Feel free to introduce yourself or comment on anything you see here. Just a reminder to all the new members to look over some of the older comments to see if there is anything you can add. Add your opinions to the "questions of the week" threads too. John

Discipline is never an end in itself, only a means to an end. (RF)

Well, well, well. I haven't been paying attention to the membership list. We have three new members to the forum. Let's welcome Kelleon, Mark_C, and Young to the boards. Hope to hear from you soon. Let us know who you are, where you're from, T1 or T2, all that good stuff. Everyone else, the forum has gotten a little quiet lately. Must be everyone is resting after some hard runs and races!!! John

Let's welcome deal to the boards. Smile Don't hesitate to jump in and introduce yourself. The same goes with all the other recent members, get on here and tell us about yourselves. John

Hey, I think I missed a new member to the forum a couple of days back Sad Sorry, Infomaniac. If I don't keep an eye on the membership list, those who slip in quietly are missed. Anyway, welcome, and hope to hear from you soon. John

Another newbie! Smile Welcome to the boards smc3720. We need to have some of you new folks who have slipped in under the radar, introduce yourselves. John

Well, guys. I haven't been around for a couple of months and I see we have some new members to recognize. Chenille, jett1214, ScratchType1 and Freckls stand up and take a bow. I have no clue who Bear Poop is. It says here that you've been a member since I started this forum back in August. Did someone change their handle on me?? Hey, Zoom-Zoom, I'm not so sure you got an official welcome or not so here is a welcome to you too just in case. If I missed anybody, sorry. Jump in here and chastise me if you want to. All you newbies, please understand that many of us old farts on this forum have pooped out and need to hear about new experiences--even if they are just about the great time you have running, novice or expert; who cares! Let's get the posts going again. Not all our chats have been about the D word, that's just what ties us together as runners. Look over some of the old converstations and see if anything can be added or start some brand new threads. I've been doing my winter walking thing and have gotten away from the forum since the holidays began in earnest back at Thanksgiving time and sort of lost touch with everyone, especially some of my old buddies from last summer and fall. But now the days are getting longer and I've set a goal of mid-February to begin my spring training again. That's when the sap begins to flow in the maples again. Ahhh, spring! Damn, this had better be my year for a marathon. 30 years of this dance and I still haven't done the big one. Did a half with my son last fall, so I guess I just need to be able to do that twice. So once again, welcome to the newbies and let's hear some running stories and where you're all from and all that good stuff.

Bear_Poop used to be Starflight. To understand why the name change check : http://www.runningahead.com/forums/topic/6752893f8162408ea6ae7223a6ab5f9b Hope it now makes sense!. Got to keep the humor or life is no fun

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Good to hear from you Bear Poop (formerly known as Starflight). I don't know, I think it is cold enough for me right here in western New York State. I can't imagine running at the North Pole. I don't need to go any farther north than this. (Sorry Forrest and Chenille.) Right now we are having some super cold temps--single digits, in fact. I don't even care to do my walks when it is like this. I can't wait for things to start leaning toward spring-- got my weight pretty much where I want it for next running season, been keeping the BG under control (somewhat), got my latest issue of Runners' World and I'm getting pumped. I'm still not into the racing scene though. Just can't wait to get out there, map my own courses and go for it. Big grin John

Sat our training group had a nice 3 mile run, an out and back. The back was into the wind and the temp was in the mid to hi teens so durning my post run streaches I found I was pulling CHUNKS of ice out of my beard. My BG levels have been great over the holidays. My personal limits are tighter than the ADA limits. Under the ADA limits over the past 90 days, I am at 100%, under my personal limits I am at 97.2% with an average BG of 101.9 So I am happy. Last week I logged 8.1 miles and already this week I am behind because of snow and freezing rain. I have given thought to making up some of the miles, but worry about risking injury if I do. Right now my right knee is is letting me know it is unhappy. I think it is my shoes, or I really really hope it is!!! Tonight I am picking up new ones, New Balance 767 as recomended by the local running shop!! But I know some of that knee problem is that I didn't run most all of Oct and until this month my running was spoty. When I started in July I used a knee brace for most of Aug after which things got better. I figure I am starting from scratch again with the knee.

To paraphrase an old poster: Today is the first day of the rest of your training. It doesn’t matter where you started or how far you’ve come. Today is the day. Your training didn’t start 6 weeks ago. Your training started the last time you hit the road. John “the Penguin” Bingham Life is not tried, it is merely survived if you're standing outside the fire

Damn knees! A couple of days ago I took what could have been a really nasty spill (not running related, just distracted while descending some stairs) and did a number on my left knee. Hopefully it will be fine by the time I want to run again. Walking seems OK. I was just getting excited about spring and now they are talking about the coldest temps (single digits) of the season for the next several days. Oh, well. Some of you folks from waaaay up north are probably snickering right about now. John

durning my post run streaches I found I was pulling CHUNKS of ice out of my beard.
                        Yo - Bear_Poop - if you gotta pull "chunks" out of your beard - at least it was just ice Big grin Congratulations on your BG levels - what a great way to start out the year!

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                        Thyroid Support Group

Chenille, I see you are in Alaska. I love Alaska!! Only been once and that was to the GPAA mining camp about 12 miles west of Nome!! God's Country!! The moon AND the sun glinting off the Berring Sea at 1 AM is something I'll never forget!! And that is where my close encounter with the Griz took place

Sounds like an amazing trip. I wondered about the Griz! I'm not ashamed to admit that I am scared silly of bears and moose - you should have seen me when I saw bear tracks while chaperoning on a school hiking trip!!! Makes it kind of tough for me to fully appreciate some of the trails up here Big grin Seriously, the winters are tough to get through with the dark - ice - snow, but the summers make it all worth while. Cheryl

Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the number of moments that take our breath away...(unkown)

Go With The Flow
                            Thyroid Support Group

That is why God invented the man who invented the 44 MAG!! Just don't try a head shot!! It pisses them off. And Griz are not known to be gental in getting their point across about the proper care and greeting of Griz in the wild. I LOVE the wild!! Don't really fear anthing but spiders. I do sadly have a nasty habit of finding rattlers by standing on them though. Great way to get the heart rate in the training range in a hurry!!

I've been a member of RunningAhead for about six months and just found out there was a forum for diabetic runners today. So here I am. I'm a 50 years old Type 1, diagnosed with Type 2 in January 03, revised to Type 1 a year later. I use a Medtronic pump and occassionally a Dexcom CGM. (Bet there's a thread on that. I'll look.) I've been training for the L.A. Marathon on March 4 since October with Team in Training, which supports the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. I couldn't find a similar diabetes related group. I alway hated running, until I had to develop a fitness program to control my blood sugars. Now I am a runner. I practice "Chi Running" which you may have heard of. Until I started training for the marathon, my long runs were three miles. I did daily runs of 1.5 miles. Now I run every other day, at least five miles. I can hardly believe it. We're tapering off now in our training, but I'm really looking forward to the marathon. And glad to be here. Terry