Furman FIRST Training

Welcome/Introductions (Read 494 times)

va

This is interesting. I have seen this discussed as well. It sounds like what the Hansons promote. See Marathoning The Hansons' Way Smashing the Myth of the 20 Miler. The longest run is 16 mile, and the article mentions the same "depleted" concept you did: "...it also means that when a Hansons-trained runner sets off on a 16-miler, there’s already three workouts’ worth of fatigue in their legs. "So it’s not like running the first 16 miles of a marathon, it’s more like the last," says Kevin." I think their plan has strong similarities to the FIRST program, with 3 key runs a week (speed, tempo, and long). They call them 3 "Somethomg of Substance" workouts. The main difference is they have 3 easy days of running, as compared with FIRST's 2-3 days of cross training. The Hansons plan looks hard. It has the 3 key work-outs of the FIRST plan plus lots of easy miles. On the other hand, it has the shorter long runs, and I think the recommended paces may be slower.
      I think it comes down to what your ultimate goal is... I *think* you'd get the best marathon time from a 120mile/week plan. But I also think that for your best marathon time on seven-eight hours training per week, the FIRST approach will yield better results than most plans. This time around, I'm going to try and split the difference.... I don't have the time required for 120miles/week, but I'm going to try and boost total aerobic volume by 20-25% and try and maintain a lot of the intensity concepts of FIRST... definitely curious to see if building a bit more fatigue will yield better results.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

TRIing to beat the heat!

I'm not sure how many people frequent this forum as it looks like the FIRST program isn't very popular on RA, but I just wanted to say 'hello'. I read the entire FIRST book yesterday and couldn't put it down. Basically, I'm a triathlete who is looking for a program that would help me concentrate my training efforts in order to produce the best results that I can with the least amount of weekly 'time'. I'm starting the FIRST program this week. I had been running 5 days per week-- with a lot of easy days (junk miles). Running is my weak triathlon leg and I was constantly told here and on other forums that I need to increase my mileage, run more slowly, etc... What did this get me? I slower run split by nearly 20 seconds per mile in my last triathlon. Slow running, appears to have made me a slow runner. But, I digress... the FIRST program looks to be exactly what I need right now and I'm very excited to begin it. I have an Olympic distance tri coming up at the beginning of November, so I plan on using the FIRST 10K program. The workouts look challenging, but I'm up for the challenge.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL

I think FIRST is IDEAL for your goals and situation... will definitely help you get better at both.

Go to http://certainintelligence.blogspot.com for my blog.

Gary-D

IPA Lover

Hello all -- I just came across this site/forum today -- I happen to also be starting the 10K FIRST program, just finished week 1. I have been running for about a year now, and have trouble running more than 4x/wk due to my legs getting beat up -- also enjoy running fast. Thus my interest in the FIRST plan. I am hoping to improve my "speed endurance", ie hoping to be able to run at my current 5k pace for more than 5k. my goals when I started running were sub 20m 5k, sub 40m 10k, and then sub 60m 15k. So far I got the sub 20m 5k on my first race (barely), am now starting to work on the sub 40 10k, hence the 10k FIRST plan. I don't expect to break 10k in 1 12 week training schedule, of course, but if I can get sub 42 min I'll be thrilled. My experience with week 1 is that I am a bit slow on the tempo runs, and can hold the pace on the speed day - typical for me, I seem to have relatively more speed than endurance, which I was surprised to discover, but the track workouts seem to show this. Hopefully all the long tempo work on this plan will speed me up on longer stuff.
            blog: lowcarbendurance.blogspot.com running since: 2007 best race: 5k 19.52 best high school 5k: 16.50

TRIing to beat the heat!

Hi Gary! I'm excited that you are doing the 10K plan as well! I have a desire to be speedy too (even though I'm not naturally speedy) and FIRST quenches that desire very well.

2012 Goals

Sub-1:42 for half marathon √ (1:41 at Disney, Jan '12)

Sub-22 for 5k √ (21:51 in Sept '12)

BQ for marathon- FAIL