Half Marathon Trainers

August (Read 28 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Oh dear, where are these fires? Please be careful, A

Northwest Territories are having bad fires as are Northern Alberta and BC. I'm not sure exactly which smoke is rolling into southern Sask. I've heard NWT and Alberta but nothing definitive. There are no fires anywhere close. It's hot and smoky; Environment Canada's noon numbers are 26* but with 56% humidity it feels more like 31*C and visibility is holding at 10km. (For reference, normal visibility here is twice that or more.) When it's smoky, I won't do hill workouts and will cut runs short if the air quality is too crappy.

My goal race is in 18 days. There's not a lot of time to make much change.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

And today's run was cut short by lightning. I will run in rain, in snow, really hot, really cold, stupid windy, ugly humid and many other combinations of weather, but I will not run in lightning. Lightning=end of run=quickest route home. I knew there was a chance of rain and I had done an out and back in case I had to cut short, but it's disappointing because the run was feeling pretty good.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

Meg, I am the same way about lightening. Conditions sound awful with all the smoke.

I feel pretty good the last few days. I did 5 miles tonight with a few walk breaks. I don't want to push my leg into a flare up. My original goal for my Sept 20 half has been tossed out the window. With it being just 4 weeks away, I just hope that I can run the whole thing. I'll be looking for another half on Oct 19, and then again on Oct 25.

Zelanie

Hey guys.  Back from Costa Rica and am fitting in runs so far as back-to-school season ramps up.  I have made the mistake (twice, even) of going out to run in the full midday sun since I am used to somewhat hotter temps in Costa Rica.  Both times were for longer, quality workouts, and they were probably both a mistake in retrospect.  I am so used to getting my runs done in the morning that I don't feel "settled" until I have it done, and hate to wait for evening if I have time to run in the afternoon.

Lisa- Glad you're feeling better and hope the shoulder heals up quickly!

Ayola- Sorry about the calf cramp, good luck on your next race!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Did the 7 yesterday but had no time for weights.  So 6 and weights.

Canadian, good call.  I don't do lightning either.  It's dangerous!

Mitch, nice runs!

Z, glad you are back!

Damaris

redleaf

RMT didn't really help my shoulder I don't think so I made an appointment for physio tomorrow afternoon.

Nice and easy 5.5km run this morning. Which was nice seeing as my brain decided that 3 am was a good time to wake up Sad

Switched to the Higdon novice 2 plan - one I am a little familiar with and it's nice and straightforward.

Basically:

2 x 3 mile easy runs (so I'm aiming to do roughly (10:1 x 4) - so distance will vary but should be at least 5 km

1  medium run - alternates between easy and race pace and goes from 6.5km to 8km

1 long run

Plus yoga twice a week and spinning once a week OR yoga three times a week

No more swimming until I figure out my shoulder. I'll even have to modify some yoga stuff I guess.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Nana_

Hi Everyone,

I've spent the last few months doing some lower heart rate training runs, building up time on my feet.  Am starting to feel like a "real runner" now.

Spent last week increasing paces, trying some race-pace and a bit lower  tempo type paces.

Feeling sore so might do another week of basic slower mileage and try faster paces again after that. :-)

My HM is early October, so it feels like it's gaining on me!

I need to be careful not to get over-use injury now this last month an a half.

I enjoy reading your training, keep posting :-)

Meg - the husband explained the forest fires in north west territories to me - apparently the smoke can travel as far as japan... I hope the air quality isn't too bad....

Mitch - I'm glad you are getting better.

Me - the massage therapist really worked through my calves which seem to be the major cause of my issues Per usual. Also noted, weak quads and glutes, which has been brought up before, I'll need to work on these (spinning for now, but more light weight training in the off season)  I was grumpy yesterday but I'm feeling much better today. Spin class is fun. Tomorrow rest day/ meeting day in the office - i may get some walking in. Friday (5)  Sunday long run (10)

happy wednesday, everyone is working hard! A

Recalculating...

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I took an SRD yesterday because my knee was wonky from all that TM running so it was best I rested a bit.  Woke up early today and ran 10 with 6 progressive (last 4 on the TM due to extreme heat) and they went great!  Knee is better.  Pilates later.

redleaf, hope the doctor has some good news!

Jo_, sounds like a great comeback.  Keep at it!

ayola, enjoy the rest day.

Damaris

H all..popping back in.  Been crazy busy at work, a little vacation and have been running daily ..103 days streaking!  longest ever.  Had about 3 days of crappy tired runs and then finally got a longish run in Monday and then was on my feet for 12 hours - not the smartes tthing I have done.  Short recovery runTeusday and then 3 miles yesterday and today.  Still doing between 1.5-2 mi wu/cd.  30days to my half to see how all this training is working.  I am very anxious and nervous.  Not sure why as this is not my first half..lol

Meg I hope the smoke from those fires is better for you and smart to not run with the lightening.

Lisa - sorry you had such a crap race and are sick now..get better quick..Hope you get the shoulder figured out.  Godd luck wit Hal Higdon - that is usally what I follow when training for half's.

Ayola - sorry you had a bad race and your hammy is acting up - please be careful

Zel - welcome back.  Love the morning runds as well - just starts the day right.

JO - good training - you are going to nail that half

Hog - way to be smart.

Happy Running all

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Cyberic

I am very anxious and nervous.  Not sure why as this is not my first half..lol

Wild guess: you trained very hard this year and have a time goal for your half, and the thought of maybe not being able to finish in that time is what is making you anxious and nervous?

I was nervous and anxious before my last race, and it was a 10k. Wasn't the distance scaring me, but I wasn't sure I'd be able to run it at my goal pace.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I hear you, Barbs! I'm feeling the same about my fall goal race. I want all this streaking to pay off and I want it to be a a really good race, esp since it's the first of 3 and I want to not have to worry about finish times for the second two. The hardest part is always trusting your training. You do the work and it will pay off! *hugs* Just remember: left, right, repeat as needed. Smile

I had a pretty good 10K run today. Cooler than I've run in weeks. About 18*C and some wind (20 gusting to 32kph) and the difference threw me for a loop a bit. I'm sure that was mostly mental, but it was pretty good overall. 16 days until my goal race.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I have Pilates and the 6 I missed on Wednesday. All after work.

Barbs, nice job on the streak!  And what Cyberic said.  It's normal.

Cyberic, hi!

CanadianMeg, nice job on the 10K!

Damaris

Cyberic

Hi Damaris. Smile

Cyberic

With today's run, my weekly total should be around 90 km (or 55 miles). My weeks are from Sunday to Saturday. My last week in Spain I didn't run much, and when I came back, the first two runs were difficult, but now I'm running more than ever. I did a 100km week back in march or April, but that was a stunt-like week. I'll try to stay in the 80-90km/week range (50-55 miles) until mid-September, then start tapering for September 28th's 13.1.