Half Marathon Trainers

April Activities 2023 (Read 14 times)

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Happy Easter everyone! I'm recovering from surgery I had a week ago now. It's too soon to resume running, but I started doing walks on Monday. Yesterday I walked five miles! I plan to continue walks for another week and then gradually add in some runs, perhaps starting with slow jogging for just a mile. I still would like to do a race maybe in September, but not sure if I should train for a good paced 5K or go for a half marathon. I think I could ramp up to around the 13.1 mile distance in just a few months, but could not expect to be very fast. I don't like being behind almost all the other runners in a race, although there always seem to be a few people who are slower so I am not worried I'd be DFL. Usually I'd be happy with a 10 minute mile pace for the race, but it's unlikely I can maintain anything close to that pace at my current fitness. Note that even in the 70 -74 age group there are a lot of fast runners! Even for a 3rd in AG I'd need like an 8:30 pace! Well, I'll see how the training goes and then make a decision.

Long distance runner, what you standin' there for?
    Get up, get out, get out of the door!

Arnoldziffel

Altair - Bet you are glad to have the surgery behind you, and good luck with your recovery.  Did the doctor give you any time line for running again?  Glad to hear you're out walking already.  Wondering if perhaps use of a bicycle or exercise bike might be helpful in your recovery as well.  Best wishes to you in your recovery.

April 21- Fast Half Marathon

May 5 - Colleen Ritzer 5K

June 22 - Mad Fox Trail Fest 10K

Altair5

Runs in the rain

Arnoldziffel - The instructions I got from the doctor were rather vague, but indicated that I should not do stressful activity for a least a week and then gradually work back into it. I thought it would be nice to bike, but maybe that would put strain on the prostate area. The walks are working well for me and I actually am doing more weekly millage than I was in the weeks prior to my operation. I can feel the walks exercising the muscles differently than the running. I'm now thinking of when I resume running to keep a walk day and add a cycling day as cross training. That might produce better results than running alone. I'll see the surgeon later this week and if all checks out will try some very short and slow runs.

Arnoldziffel

Altair - That makes perfect sense. Sounds like the walks are working well for you, and it's great that you're out exercising so soon.  Keep us posted, and best of lucky in your recovery.

Fredford66

Waltons ThreadLord

Altair - I agree with Dave.  Good to hear the walks are working.  You have plenty of time to get ready for a September half if that's what you want to pursue.

I have my last half of the season on the 15th.  After that, I'll be running shorter races over the summer.  I may run a half in September, but my focus for the fall will be the New York City Marathon.

5k 23:48.45 (3/22); 4M 31:26 (2/22); 5M 38:55 (11/23); 10k 49:24 (10/22); 
            10M 1:29:33 (2/24); Half 1:48:32 (10/22); Marathon 4:29:58 (11/23)

Upcoming races: Clinton Country Run 15k, 4/27; Spring Distance Classic 5k, 4/28

Altair5

Runs in the rain

The end of April! This graph give a summary of my recent activities. In early Febuary I was doing 35 mile weeks and had a 9 mile long run. As I began preperations for my surgery the consitancy of my running fell off. After my surgery I started doing walks and have a least done some distance every day. I have now walked 35 mile weeks and did a 9 mile walk, equivilant to my running distances back in early Febuary! It was my decision to continue the long walks all month as a less stressful exercise, but now I feel ready to gradually resume running next month! A half marathon is still under consideration for September!

Arnoldziffel

Wow - That is some very impressive mileage that you have racked up walking during your recovery.  This will certainly easy your transition back into running.  Congrats and best of luck.