Half Marathon Trainers

haf marthon trainers week of Jan. 7th (Read 674 times)

Prince of Fatness

Thanks for the advice, MrPH. You're right--getting to the starting line is priority. Did my 6 on the tm today w/o pain. Still aiming for the long slow run on Sat. When's your half? You're putting in lots of miles!
    My half is the end of April. I ran my first marathon last fall and had a good base so I figured I would keep it going through the winter. I'm running about 10 more mpw than in past winters. It's not as hard as I thought it might be. I still turns out to be only about 5 or 6 hours a week of my time. We'll see if this all pays off in April.

Not at it at all. 

Regina

Regina, I had a friend ask me to run today and I actually turned her down b/c I know I run faster with people too and I'm trying to save my knees. Your scheduled long run this week is long! When's your half? K
      We were a group of ten yesterday, but only three of us were women. And it's nearly impossible to slow down our male friends ... The main problem was that I had done some speed work already the day before and my legs were not in the best shape ... But I have done a very easy run of 6.5 k today, alone - and I enjoyed it so much !!! My half is on March 2 on a course where I have done my PB two years ago, the only time that I managed to run a half below 2 hours. And of course I would like to repeat that! But my main goal for the first semester of 2008 is to run my 2nd marathon on May 4. That 's the reason for all these km that I run at the moment. My first marathon in December didn't work well, because I was ill during the week before. So I could only try to finish it in some way, I was still too weak for running it at the planned speed.
        Ran hills with a group, 11.15kms with 9 hills of about 400 metres each. pace 6:09 /km, seems slowish but I guess hills cause that! Legs felt good, and I didn't dress too warmly; I always feel faster in tights than track pants and wind pants. I am still learning how many layers to wear for different temperatures, its -10C today, about 14F. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

5.5 yesterday ... 5 this evening. Off until Sunday.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

three miles on the treadmill last night and then about 30 minutes of weights/core work. Hoping it all pays off on May 17th. today is a rest day for me. am planning to hit the gym tomorrow morning for a short treadmill run before leaving town on a family adventure. will be back in the evening. the weather looks like I just might be able to get outside on Sunday. I sure hope so. with the snow, dark, safety, work, etc., etc., it has been much too long since I have had the chance to run outside. am really looking forward to a long, slow run in the great outdoors. maybe I will be able to tell if all that treadmill work has helped this winter. wbertha
            Ringmaster

Long run today--14 miles outside in great weather for South Florida--60 degrees is cool for us lately, believe it or not! Knee felt great; thanks for all the advice. Planning a rest day today and some easy work next week. Regina, wow to you for planning a full two months after your half. It'll be great prep. I'm sure your time will be great this time around with all your training. I can't imagine even thinking about speed at that distance . . . MrPH, I'm sure all the miles will pay off for you in April. Having done a full in the fall, you probably will love the half distance--at least that's what my marathoning friends here tell me. Nice recovery run from their fulls in the fall. Simon, sorry, didn't mean to rub it in about the temperature . . . maybe in the summer you'll be laughing at me . . .

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
              Mile by Mile

chuck43

hey wbertha and imogene, just droped in to say hey> glad to see the training is going great.
                ohanapecosh

Another week, another long run. Today's run was the hardest I've had in a very long time. It was 8 miles, a mile longer than last week. When it started it was snowing, something very unusual around here. I can't remember the last time I ran in snow. I was excited at first until after I ran about three steps I realized it would be very hazardous. The path was totally slick, so I tried running beside it which helped but left me with soaking wet icy cold feet. As you might guess, it was also much colder than usual, but I was wearing basically the same thing as I always do, which was a big mistake. By the end I think I was borderline starting to get hypothermic. I was basically cold and wet from head to toe, as the snow turned to borderline snow / rain. Afterwards, I had big red welts all on my legs. I had no choice but to finish the run, though, because it was an out-and-back. Anyway, I guess I'm a bit of a wimp about cold weather. I don't know how people from the northeast & midwest do it! Other than the run today, it was a good week.

Prince of Fatness

A little under 13 today, bringing me to 35 for the week. Same old story.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

so excited...finally got the opportunity to run outside. it was sunny with very little wind and about 27 degrees. Realized a couple of miles into the run that I was over dressed. Well, live and learn. Did 6 miles and although my legs felt heavy/tired afterward, it felt really, really good to get outside again. Plus and this is a big plus, got to take my new toy with...a Garmin 205. It worked like a charm. I am really pleased with my new purchase. wbertha
                      Teresadfp

One day at a time

Another week, another long run. Today's run was the hardest I've had in a very long time. It was 8 miles, a mile longer than last week. When it started it was snowing, something very unusual around here. I can't remember the last time I ran in snow. I was excited at first until after I ran about three steps I realized it would be very hazardous. The path was totally slick, so I tried running beside it which helped but left me with soaking wet icy cold feet. As you might guess, it was also much colder than usual, but I was wearing basically the same thing as I always do, which was a big mistake. By the end I think I was borderline starting to get hypothermic. I was basically cold and wet from head to toe, as the snow turned to borderline snow / rain. Afterwards, I had big red welts all on my legs. I had no choice but to finish the run, though, because it was an out-and-back. Anyway, I guess I'm a bit of a wimp about cold weather. I don't know how people from the northeast & midwest do it! Other than the run today, it was a good week.
                        Way to stick it out! I guess we just get used to it up here. I have to say, though, that I won't run if it's cold and RAINING. Ychh. Snow is OK! I also wear my YakTrax, so I don't have any problem with slipping. I love running in the cold, down to about 8 degrees F. Below that, it's a little harder. I am NOT looking forward to running when it's 60! Tongue
                          Well done to all of you, good week Mr.Phin, good wok on the 6 miles wbertha, (where do you live that you don't run outside much?), pinwheel, I have read some people put their feet in plastic bags inside their shoes on wet days, or buy goretex waterproof trail shoes. Cut Mum/daughter picture, vixidu. Regina men have an ego problem, we always try to show off, we can't help it! Decent week for me this week, did 20.72 kms, just under 13 miles, on Sunday in 1:58. I had two short runs this week, though, so total only 47kms. Next Sunday I will try to stretch my run to 26-28kms as I want to work on my endurance. Simon, (trying to become competitive in my age group.)

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

wbertha

I don't get the opportunity to run outside much this time of year for several reasons. Work seems to get in the way and there is really no safe lighted running paths near me. So my winter outside runs are usually confined to the weekends. Plus, I hate cold and have yet to run outside when it is below 20 degrees but I may just have to change that. I live in northern Illinois. Rest day for me today so just catching up on some of the posts. Got in 21 miles last week along with three weight/core workout sessions. Hope to do as well this week. wbertha

Prince of Fatness

5.3 easy this evening. This weekend I have a 10K race. I plan on maintaining my schedule and just replace the long run with the race. So this week will be around 30 miles.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Two miles on the treadmill last night and then a 30 minute session with a trainer. Trying to get some pointers and help with my weight/core work out. she suggested that I try running with a local group once in a while. Might consider it but don't know if they have anyone who runs as slow as I do. Shocked No work today...canceled due to wind chills of about 30 below Big grin wbertha