Half Marathon Trainers

Half Marathon trainers - April '08 (Read 594 times)

10k reasonably hilly with running club on Saturday. 25k including one *massive* hill on Sunday. Overall a good weekend and glad to be back to it after a few days off with a cold. 3 weeks to Nelson... its all about just hanging on in there now. Does anyone have any words of wisdom about tapering for a half? Or would that be best in a new thread?
      Nice sunny weather this weekend, though not yet really warm. Friday did a 5k at steady pace, Sunday 20.7 kms just under 2 hours, quite tired at the end and had to walk a bit. This run would have been easy six weeks ago but I have been less than diligent about my training. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Prince of Fatness

Mandy, there is a thread about halfway down the first page of this forum about tapering. In it you'll see some varying responses. I think it's an individual thing. It boils down to running enough to stay fresh while at the same time not overdoing it. It may take a few races to perfect it.

Not at it at all. 

mattw1970

Injured

Hey Gang Just 2 weeks out from my 1/2 and my last 'really' Long run is in the books. Went out to do 15-16 at 8:30 pace yesterday and enjoyed the weather and the run so much I wound up doing 18 ( new distance pr) at 8:15 pace Shocked Big grin Now im definitely extra confident that I will run a strong solid half! Im gunning for something around 1:32. hope everyone else's training is going well!
          INJURED
          C-R

14 this past Saturday in 2:09 so that elusive sub 2 might be within reach. Finally passed 40 mpw - ugh. Indy Mini in two weeks and Geist HM two weeks after that.

"He conquers who endures" - Persius
            "Every workout should have a purpose. Every purpose should link back to achieving a training objective." - Spaniel

http://ncstake.blogspot.com/

Prince of Fatness

Just 2 weeks out from my 1/2 and my last 'really' Long run is in the books. Went out to do 15-16 at 8:30 pace yesterday and enjoyed the weather and the run so much I wound up doing 18 ( new distance pr) at 8:15 pace Shocked Big grin Now im definitely extra confident that I will run a strong solid half! Im gunning for something around 1:32.
              That's a good LR, Matt. Sounds like you're ready. Good luck at Lehigh Valley. I'm shooting for 1:40, so hopefully I won't be too far behind you.

Not at it at all. 

wbertha

Sounds like everyone has been having some good long runs. Also, sounds like everyone has a race or two coming up in the next few weeks. Fargo is less than 5 weeks away. Shocked "Does anyone have any words of wisdom about tapering for a half? Or would that be best in a new thread?" Mandy, I think that that is a great question. MrPhin, thanks for the reply. I will check out that post but would welcome replies from anyone else also. Today was a rest day so got time to do some yard work after work. It finally is beginning to look like spring around here. Although we did have a bit of snow this past weekend. The grass is getting green and the trees are finally starting to bud out. Got in 28 miles last week which is a good week for me. Am feeling rather tired the past few days. Will try to increase my sleep time and also check out my diet. Any other suggestions? wbertha
                mattw1970

Injured

Thanks MR.PH ! I hope you hit your goal time as well!! WBERTHA - thats a great question about tapering for a half and one im not sure of myself yet. This will be my 3rd half and I still don't know what is the best course of action for my taper. Ive heard everything from a 2 week to taper all the way down to no taper at all. Also have heard many say that they taper the mles about 25-30 % but keep the intensity of the miles up and the speed work outs intact. Other have said the exact opposite. I guess its just whatver works best for each individual. Im thinking since I don't do a whole lot of speedwork anyway now is not the time to add much and I will taper my miles a little this week but next week only run wed,fri, and the race on Sunday. I want my legs fresh for the race and they certainly werent for my first 2 halfs. I have heard/read that any workouts you do in the last 2 weeks leading up to a race really won't magically improve your running abilities any more than they are already at. I know from experience that anything too hard too close to a race can certainly diminish your race day performance. Thats all I got. anyone else with more experence feel free to step in.
                  INJURED

Prince of Fatness

My race is a week from Sunday. Here's what I am doing as far as a taper goes. To provide some background my weekly mileage has been averaging in the low 40's for that last couple of months. For speed work I have been doing a midweek tempo run for the last 6 weeks. Long run has averaged about 14 miles over that period. I run 5 days a week. This week I plan on running about 37 miles or so. I'll still do my tempo run, and my long run will be 11 or 12 miles. This comes out to a 10-15% mileage reduction. Next week I will run about 20 miles not counting the race. I will run everything easy for the most part, and will not do the tempo run. I figure the race is my speed work that week. What I am doing may not work for everyone else. I think a key consideration is the consistency of your training leading up to the race. I have been very fortunate this cycle. I have not missed one scheduled run since mid December.

Not at it at all. 

interesting thoughts on tapering. i've been running 35 to 40 miles a week for this phase of training (cut back to just under 30 last week due to a cold but otherwise consistent) my half is in just over 2 weeks time. i intend to run 40 miles with a 15 mile long run this week (ie full normal mileage), 35 miles with a 10 mile long run next week (so normal mileage but with a shortened long run) and then just 16 miles in race week (excluding the race). race week will have a couple of runs that are fairly short and easy but include 1km at race pace to keep the legs ticking over and the race pace embedded in my brain!
                      mattw1970

Injured

I think we are all poised to have very strong halfs with our weekly mileage we have built. Its been a very strong cycle for me as well. probably my strongest quarter year in my almost 2 years of running.
                        INJURED
                        wbertha

WOW, thanks for all the info and replies regarding tapering. I am no where near to you folks in either weekly distance or speed. But I do work hard for me. My weeks have been about 28 miles per week and I have been very fortunate in that I have been able to be consistent. Last night I did a 5 mile tempo run at the gym with negative splits which is a very new concept for me. It use to be just survive the "longer" runs. Now 5 doesn't seem to be that big of deal. I also run 5 days a week with a long run on the weekend. I try to make it 10 or 11 miles. Hoping to get in a couple of 12's before the race. I will think about all the great tapering advice given and try to figure out what might work best for me. Thanks again, wbertha

Prince of Fatness

Last tempo run before the race in 11 days. I know I have whined that I have had to run these tempos on cold, windy days. Well today made up for it. Sunny, calm, low 60's. Nice. 2.2 miles warm up 5 miles @ 7:29 2 miles cool down Now its easy running until race day. I feel ready to go.

Not at it at all. 

My next to the last tempo run 17 days from race. 1.4 mile warm up 5 mile tempo at 8:28 pace 1.5 mile cool down Race goal of 1:53 Nice run MrPH, you seem to be right target for 1:38. I'm going check Vegas & put my money on you Wink Big grin

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Prince of Fatness

Nice run MrPH, you seem to be right target for 1:38. I'm going check Vegas & put my money on you Wink Big grin
                                Please! No added pressure! ETA: Based on that tempo I'll put you down for 1:50 ... it's only fair. Nice job.

Not at it at all.