Half Marathon Trainers

HMT - August 2011 (Read 822 times)

HappyFeat

Hi folks - long time, no post for me too.

MilkTruck I wondered if you'd look at my running log and give me some feedback like you did for Meg.

My HM is Sept 25 (five short weekends away!). I have an unrealistic goal of doing it 2:10. Since I now have had a right calf/AT tightness come up, I think I'd need more time than I have to increase my overall pace. I'd appreciate your observations.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Hey Happy Feat

Hey you seem to have a good solid programme, you getting the milage you need for a half marathon in my opinion and you have had a good solid lead up.  Just keep it up and maybe 2-3 weeks out put a couple of workouts where you are running <> 90% pace or some intervals or progressive runs just to sharpen yourself up.  it is always a balance to be had between speed in training = more wear and tear and miles in training.  I tend to now "allow" myself to do one hill type training a week or one faster run

Once piece of advice is I think you would benefit if you just converted your 5-7km runs into 10km runs for your easy paced workouts for the next 4 weeks anyway

You have good consistant running so just back yourself with your training.  Perhaps do the first 10km a good conservative pace and wind it up all you can in the last 10km and see how you go.

Good luck and be confident.  I think you should be looking at your log

V

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
      Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)

HappyFeat

Thanks for the suggestions, Vino. In fact, I've just been starting to feel like I could extend the distance of Tuesday or Thursday, especially since I now traded Monday's 8 for a combo of 3 on Sunday and 6 on Monday.  So I will give that a go and see how I do.  Running a short bit the day after the Long Run is a recent addition, but I haven't had any problems with that.

My fitness has improved greatly over the past year with slow incremental changes. I have also been trying to stick with a yoga routine since I find alot of my problems are solved by that. I think my current AT/calf tightness is directly related to skipping some yoga workouts and my hamstrings have tightened up.

Don't make excuses for why you can't get it done. 

Focus on all the reasons why you must make it happen.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

My fitness has improved greatly over the past year with slow incremental changes. I have also been trying to stick with a yoga routine since I find alot of my problems are solved by that. I think my current AT/calf tightness is directly related to skipping some yoga workouts and my hamstrings have tightened up.

Good for you on the increasing fitness! Smile

I'm a big fan of yoga as a complement to running too. In the yoga classes I've taken, I definitely stick out as a runner bc of my tight hamstrings.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Okay, so a 2 week trip blew a hole in my training plans, turning the whole HM into a big question mark for me. I've got a 4 mile run tomorrow, then an 8 or 9 mile long run Sunday. I guess I'll continue to train as planned, as just stopping isn't an option. A few runners have said I could probably get there with a couple of 10 mile long runs, but I had hoped for the confidence boost a 12 miler would give me. Any advice?

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Lakerunner, when is your race again? In this training cycle (my second half), I'm actually not including 12 milers. I did one 12 miler in training for my half last year, but this time, my longest is 11. I'm comfortable that I can do the half without those twelves. I think I've got a better idea this time what I'm doing. I've got last year's experience to draw on. Life does get in the way of training; try not to get too bogged down on what you missed and keep moving forward.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Okay, so a 2 week trip blew a hole in my training plans, turning the whole HM into a big question mark for me. I've got a 4 mile run tomorrow, then an 8 or 9 mile long run Sunday. I guess I'll continue to train as planned, as just stopping isn't an option. A few runners have said I could probably get there with a couple of 10 mile long runs, but I had hoped for the confidence boost a 12 miler would give me. Any advice?

While it is a bummer that you won't get in those long runs, it doesn't look like the time was totally lost. You were able to get some runs in, you just didn't get your long runs in. And you went to Iceland!

I've learned two things in the last week-

it is hard to run while biz traveling and it is hard to run in Texas (both are pretty much firsts for me).

"just hoping to keep up good luck and hard work."

GAH! Was doomed the moment I wrote that I imagine. I'm on temporary shut down until I figure this out, but Wed after run felt some pain on top of foot (all the way across behind toes) when putting pressure on (walking). Thurs ran on it anyway, and was a bit painful. Then after run very painful. Hoping it's tendonitis and not stress fracture, though either way stinks. No redness or swelling, doesn't hurt when doing nothing, or even when i press foot with fingers, squeeze etc. Pretty much only when putting weight on it (walking).  Will rest, ice, advil, and if no improvement by Monday will see ortho. A bit gutted, as clearly in best shape I've ever been in, and race only 5 weeks away, but hopefull....

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                  We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes
                  CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Kevin, that is really crappy! I hope you find relief after a weekend off.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

LR5 - This would be my advice (please don't take it as expert advice... expert, I ain't!). If the upcoming races thread is still accurate, you have 5 weeks until your race, Wineglass HM on 10/2, and you stated your goal as, "just to finish"? I think it's your first HM, right? Go run your 8 or 9 this weekend and then if we look back at your training you'll have ramped up to 20 miles a week, with a long run of 8 miles with 5 weeks to go... you just had a couple of blips where you missed your long run... not the end of the world. I agree with Meg that you do not need the 12 milers, it would put the long run close to 50% of your weekly mileage. I understand the confidence you can draw from them, but you do not need them. Looking forwards for the next 5 weeks I'd go with:

• Week of 8/29: 14mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 4mi) then 9 mi Long
                      • Week of 9/5: 15 mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 5mi) then 10mi Long
                      • Week of 9/12: 15 mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 5mi) then 10mi Long (if you feel really good here do 11)
                      • Week of 9/19: 15 mi Easy (5mi, 5mi, 5mi) then 8mi Long
                      • Week of 9/26: 11 mi Easy (5mi, 3mi, 3mi) then .... we race! Smile

Feel free to modify or discard, and the rest of you out there, feel free to pull apart.

Bottom line - you can't change the training you did or did not do in the last two weeks, don't let it bring you down mentally too. Your training's been great, finish it strong and you will finish your race.

MilkTruck I wondered if you'd look at my running log and give me some feedback like you did for Meg.

My HM is Sept 25 (five short weekends away!). I have an unrealistic goal of doing it 2:10. Since I now have had a right calf/AT tightness come up, I think I'd need more time than I have to increase my overall pace. I'd appreciate your observations.

HappyFeat – I leave the comments on your stuff to Andy & Vino save to say your consistency is awesome. A year at or around 30mpw – wow, I can but dream!

MattJ -- the Hidgon plans seem to be pretty proven for delivering, so recommend you do what you can to follow the intent if not the exact miles. Especially the Sat run being at race pace leading into the Sunday long run.  If you need to, keep in mind that Hal gives the OK to play around with the Mon and Wed workouts as needed to accommodate life.  I can not fathom how you train in that heat and humidity.

Andy – As I read the Higdon stuff his two main rules seem to be; Don’t skip the long run and keep the pairing of the long run and the workout before it intact. I’m hoping it can be flexible beyond that. Even in my fist week I did not do the workouts in the right order but I did get them all done, I am sitting here on a Friday with the tempo/pace workout in the bag trying to work out how I am possibly going to get out of the door (or maybe even out of bed) for 11mi tomorrow.

As to running in TX; This summer has been the hottest on record (you picked a great time to come on down red!) and this is the only way I have been able to get through it:

I run, at the coolest time of the day (~6am), with one of these:

http://www.amphipod.com/products/hydration/bottle-waistpacks/full-tilt-series/full-tilt-20-20

Except instead of 2 bottles I have 3, all prepared the night before:

• Bottle 1: Full of water, stuck in the fridge
                      • Bottle 2: Half full of water, stuck in the freezer
                      • Bottle 3: 3/4 full of water, stuck in the freezer

In the morning I top the two ice bottles off with water, stick them in the pack and carry the bottle from the fridge.

I suck on the first bottle for about 25 mins then switch it with bottle 2, which has pretty much melted but is still ice cold. I drink some but most of it goes over my head. Then at about 45 mins I switch out for bottle 3 and repeat.

I look like a complete fool doing an hour’s run with 60oz+ of water/ice but it works… so “they” can think what “they” want!

Keep at 'em y'all!

MTA: Layout

2017 Goals
                      1) Run more than 231 miles
                      2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Kevin - just saw your post... sorry! Get well!

2017 Goals
                        1) Run more than 231 miles
                        2) Be ready for  HM in the spring

Thanks guys. Fingers crossed it's nothing too bad.

Come all you no-hopers, you jokers and rogues
                          We're on the road to nowhere, let's find out where it goes

an amazing likeness

MilkTruckI wondered if you'd look at my running log and give me some feedback like you did for Meg.

I don't feel qualified, and not sure I know any special sauce for improving -- I'm sure not getting any faster recently myself.  But under the category of 'another set of eyes', here's what I see:

(no particular order)

1. You've got a good base of weekly miles, so one goal is to hold onto that. 

2. Reading some of your workout notes, sounds like the tempo runs at 8mi may be beating on you a bit much -- how about turning some of those planned tempo runs into intervals?   (6 x 1/2 mile at 10K pace, with 1/4 mile slow jog in between would give you some speed work without the workload of the 6 miles you're doing in the middle of your tempo runs) Consider alternating tempo and interval, one of each every other week.

3. Looking out a bit, I'd back that 10 miler on 9/17 to something shorter and faster.  You have three weekends of long runs heading in a row before 9/17...so you'll have the long miles down.  Trade distance for tempo and/or interval in those later weeks.  (for me, this is one area that is always a challenge, transitioning from running 'lots' to running 'faster'....)

4. Make the planned 9/14 8 mi tempo a race test.  Cut the warmup back to 1/2 or 1 mile and run the rest at planned race pace or faster.  This will be a great confidence boost.  Then put the horse in the barn until race day.

5. 9/22 and 9/24, with 9/23 as an alternate if weather or life get in the way...easy 3 mile jogs just to stay loose.

6. 9/21...I'd look at that tempo planned and asked "why?".  Maybe drop the 9/20 for yoga or an off day, and make 9/21 as easy 8 rather than tempo 8.

All that is, of course, just advice and input from an old, slow jogger.  You're training is looking great, 2:10 is yours!

- Andy

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Here's hoping it's a great half fall for so many of us. Sounds like training is going pretty well for a lot of us. For those of you dealing with injuries, I hope this is the month that those back off and let you get back out there.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Climbing Mt Ruapehu

Hi Guys

Love some comments re a training plan I have put together for my final landing into first marathon on Oct 30th. Now heading into final 9 weeks of prep.  Mandy etc??  Not sure if this is a little ambitious but any comments to fine tune appreciated especially advice on last week before on how much to taper etc

Thanks!!

Personal Race Records:

M 3:52:48 (Auckland 2011), HM 1:38:16 (Taupo 2010), 10km 45:05 (Sir Barry 2010), 5km 20:21 (How Pak 5km 2010)

2012 Goals:
                                Run the 75km Hillary Trail in a day (done 10/3/2012)