Half Marathon Trainers

June (Read 29 times)

Cyberic

Mitch, that is a great idea, and yeah, I could do that. But I won't. Wink I don't always run at the same park (most of the time, yes, but not always) and the habit of running by time gives me the - hmm english word doesn't come , time for Google Translate - flexibility (darn, that was simple) to train the same way wherever I am.

MTA: But I will give the idea to one of my friends who likes to train by distance, and could use this idea instead of looking at his watch.

HI everyone!  Some good tips.  I have heard about the running for time not distance and haven't really tried it much.  I get hung up on the distance, but think I may just try out the time thing for the long runs.

Been doing short 2-4 mile runs this week.  Not much time in the morning and I am not an afternoon runner.  I have also been dealing with a severe toothache,headache infection all week, so it has been all I can do to get out in the mroning for a couple of miles. For some reason it made the pain lessen for a bit.  Feeling better today so hoping I can get in a longish run tomorrow morning.

Happy running everyone!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

BikeMS 45 mile bike ride done. I feel pretty good other than a little sunburn. Was hoping to take Bella out for a couple of miles, but thunderstorms are rolling in, so I'll call it a week.

Larry - its so nice to hear from you!

Barb - glad you are getting better, I'm just recovering for ear/ sinus infection so I know head pain can be torture!

Running easy by time before stricter HM training starts up. 70+ minutes today and a 3 miler (ran to the office) yesterday. Perfect morning 57F and the leaves are filled out along the avenues.  No fast stuff until July, just rebuilding miles. Next week 40 minute runs during the week and an 80 minute run on the weekend.

Happy sunday, A

Recalculating...

hog4life

8.4 yesterday in 348745 degree/humidity, I consumed 64 oz of fluid while out and had to slow waaaaaaaay down. I started the run at 5:30 pm, so looks like I will need to start later on the evening runs.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Busy week for me culminating in me traveling to Chicago for the race.  I missed three workouts last week due to work and traveling, but it was a cutback week so it was OK.  Ha.  Did 8 miles last night and I have 8 with 800s today.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

8.4 yesterday in 348745 degree/humidity, I consumed 64 oz of fluid while out and had to slow waaaaaaaay down. I started the run at 5:30 pm, so looks like I will need to start later on the evening runs.

Welcome to Miami!

Damaris

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How have I not posted here yet this month? So great to see so many of you back posting and running and updating.

Yuck on the humidity, HL. I'm looking to go the other way. I need to start running early again before it gets too hot; running late is harder for me.

I'm with the rest of you. This time of year I'm starting to think about the longer runs more and more. I did a 7 miler on Sunday which was harder than it should've been, but my pace was surprisingly even. What I'm trying to figure out now is how to train for my fall half. Usually I start my training plan in mid-June and if I want to do one up, I need to get on that this week. Every year I've tweaked my plan. Here's what makes me not sure what to do this year. This year I'm streaking which I've never done for this long before, but my legs aren't objecting so keep moving forward. What I've done in the past is long runs on Sunday (up to a max of 10 or 11 miles) and a mid-distance on Thursday-ish (thinking 6 to 7). I don't know if I want to do a formal plan or just keep running every day, keep my Monday and Friday mileage at 2 miles (used to be my rest days) and work on getting my long and mid to those numbers. I'm at a higher mileage per week at this point than previous years. Oh the over-thinking. Just go and run, right?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

I don't generally run by time, but I do like the idea.  I think training adaptations probably come more from running at a certain effort for a certain time rather than distance, but I can't seem to shake the idea of mileage. Smile

Tara- Hope you're able to find a substitute race!

Barbs- Ooh, I hate tooth pain!  I feel like I have a pretty high tolerance for other stuff, but am a total wimp about that.  Interesting to hear that running helps!

Jo- How's it going?  Hope you're enjoying staying off the couch!

Eric- Thanks for sharing your perspective on training.  I always appreciate the opportunity to think through the "whys" of what we do when we run.

Larry- Good to see you back!

Mitch- Nice job on the bike MS!  I'll be joining you in dealing with the humidity soon.

D- Glad you got a good cutback in there!  I took advantage of All-Start week to do the same!

MT- Glad to hear the hammy improves, and hope you have a good summer racing season!  The calendar looks pretty light, so we will get to cheer you on from the sidelines.

Ayola- Have fun with the base building!  Sounds like you're in an excellent frame of mind for it!

Meg- I think that plan sounds reasonable.   According to my Hanson's book, you can do a lot to improve just by adding easy miles on the rest days and keeping everything else the same.

As for me, my first full week of Hanson's is in the books!  Ran 12 x 400 today and it went well.  They are slower than most 400s and had a full recovery, so that helps.  But it does seem like Hanson's is about consistency and focus, rather than on that one killer workout, so it fits.  The big unknown for my plan is that I get to spend 8 weeks in Costa Rica this summer chaperoning exchange students.  I should have plenty of time to run, but the where, when, and how I will have to work out once I get there.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  My 800s last night went great.  SRD for me today.

Meg, if what you've been doing is working, I would just keep that and see how you do.

Mel, great job on the Hanson's 400s.

Damaris

hog4life

Good run last night of 10 miles with OA pace of 8:45. Happy happy.

redleaf

Been a nice week for me so far:

Sunday - 5k race with PR

Monday - 5.5k run with a .5k walk at the end to cool down

Tuesday - soccer - I'm a keeper so I think I'm counting this as a rest day Wink

Wednesday - spinning

Thursday - 5k run straight (well except for a couple of stops for streetlights)

Today I'll try to go swimming at lunch again. Crap. I forgot you're not supposed to go with an 'open wound' and the gash on my knee from Tuesday's soccer game is still pretty fresh. Sigh.

Saturday - 45 minute run planned

Sunday - 90 minute run planned

Have a nice weekend all!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Mitch, you are fast! Smile

Lisa, go walk and know you'll be ready to go tomorrow. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hello everybody!

Completed 3 - 40 minute runs this week, next week 3- 45 minutes.

Ahhhhh Miami. Here in the North Atlantic , 100% humidity equals cold and pouring rain! No planting roses today...So off to the gym (probably tomorrow too) I'm kinda sore so I'll do my active rest routine - some elliptical, rowing and bike - and some stretching. Then to the office, boo. 80 minute run may be postponed to Monday morning.

Meg - I think you are on the right track - one long , one kinda long mid week  and easy running for the remainder. Everything else is gravy. Do you have a weekly time or distance goal? I'm building towards the 30 mile week (again) which for me is around the weekly 6 hour mark (I'm slow)

Also, I tried one day of interval runs which I enjoyed, but my long runs may have suffered. I'll do it again but with more focus on the long run.

Happy rainy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

Cyberic

Was in New Orleans for business in June 2010. The weather is very similar to Miami's right? It rains every day and then the sun comes back out. Wow! Crazy heat/humidity! And then in stores, offices, hotels, conference rooms, the air conditioning was set on "Let's show them what we can do". Got a stiff neck and upper back from all that cold air blown at me all day long.

Been increasing my mileage lately from ~50km/week this winter to 70-75 km/week. At first, almost no speed work while increasing. Gradually throwing some in. Then I'll keep that training until my half in the fall (and do my best during my Spain vacation).

Today is still grey and there will be some showers. It's still an improvement over the steady downpour we've been having for the last 2-3 days.