Half Marathon Trainers

1/2 Marathon Trainers, Week of Oct 25th (Read 1697 times)

doc825

good morning everyone!

just under 6 this morning. scariest run of my life. well, surprise- its raining again. that doesnt phase me at all anymore. but its been awhile since i took my hilly route and its a lot darker in the mornings now. it was pitch black on the road and i was without illumination. (lesson learned) jumped ankle deep in one puddle and on way back left foot jumped into a ditch i couldnt see. could not see anything and that was pretty scary!  luckily by the time i got about 2 miles from home, it was lighter out and the lamp posts were back again. i guess i never realized that route didnt have lamp posts! i also learned that hills are 99% mental today. there was no way i was even thinking of slowing down for a walk uphill!! hardly change of breath too. the only thing i could think about was trying to find some light ASAP. so don think ill be heading down that route until i have some illumination. luckily we get to change clocks back this weekend too, so hopefully it will be a little brighter next week @ 6 am- at least for a little while anyway.

oh yeah- and me and my saucony girls are holding up just fine and no blisters in spite of the soaking wet feet! i love them. so happy together.... la la la la la la la la... ok- enough singing.

off to pearl jam tonight, so have to leave strength for tomorrow.

will catch up with shout outs at lunch! (or try to!)

hey  yall

6 miles this morning. recovery, if you will. lol

chuck...good luck on 8

megan...lol do we really need to hear about your left butt cheek!?!?!? jk! you will be back running very soon.

ezec...those hills are tough but good!

jenny...i think you can do your long run that way, or switch days maybe?

rob...hey! lay off the dawgs! j/k. we know how to make it through a tough season...hope your stint on the DL will give you opportunity to do something new.

betty....good job on the tmill

joe...great work at the gym. it was perhaps too big a jump in miles, yes. the rest of the day i was regretting not running more this summer! but im ok today.

cyndi....hot ink

juli...good luck! i think you will have a great day!

rebecca...i had tight calves yesterday too. i think it takes a while to get used to running in cooler weather. you never know about the weather so just run if you can.

doc...yuck! running in the dark! dry your girls out in front of the fan today. and enjoy the concert! woohoo!

love to all

Good morning everyone.  I had another try at some speed work this morning.  I did intervals of 1/4 mile at between 7:30-7:15 mm followed by 1/4 miles of around 9mm all on the treadmill.  I did 8 of theeach of the intervals plus my warm up and cool down for a total of 6.01 miles in fifty minutes.  My question is is this right good, should I have done longer intervals??  I am new to this so any advice would be appreciated.

Joe - I will get back to you with my vote.  The facebook question was related to the current group, but I realized the name is coolrunning in it so probably not applicable.  I don't have access from work either.

Rick

Upcoming Events Current PR's 11/8/2009 - Luv 2 Run 5k 23:52 10/11/2009 BAA 1/2 Marathon 1:53:46 10/25/2009 - Canton Fall Clasic 10k 52:30

Hi everyone!

Yes, Joe, that is me in the other half marathon trainers thread- I have been here for maybe 2 years now.

The culture here is very friendly, like our group at CR, but with some differences.

1)People here perhaps tend to focus a bit more on running, a bit less on the social aspects of the board. This varies depending on the group.

2) Ours is an unusually large and active group, way more posts than is typical at RA, though again this varies.

3) One thing I like very much is that we usually keep our logs here and also keep them open to public view. I was a little shy at first but there is a HUGE advantage:when you ask a training related question people have a context within which to frame their response, i.e. they know your height, weight, age, your previous running history and how much you have done recently.

When you think about it, giving advice without this information is almost useless, so this is a big plus, and I suggest moving your log over.

Mine, such as it is, is open- and yes, it is true I ran only 5 miles last week, plus a short bike ride!

Anyway, great to see you chose RA, really happy!

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

For those who haven't set-up a profile or made it public, please consider doing so, it's nice to be able to check in on someone and find out more about them. 

Since we've got so many new members here and even some of the old members I thought I'd start a new thread titled something like "Who Am I" and we can kind of introduce ourselves there and get everyone acquainted.

Larry

Okay, So  I have finally generated a new Thread titled "WHO AM I".  Stop over and introduce yourself.

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

jayazusa

Good Morning All,

I went out and did a new trail that I discovered while walking my dogs yesterday (Cross Training), I did a total of 8.62 Miles and the new trail is defiantly more challenging, it runs along a desert wash which is very rocky and it leads up hill, defiantly more distance to gain on that trail.  But the run felt very good and I maintained a 10:17 pace over all 8.6 miles.  

Hope you all have a great day,

Jay

I have opened up my training logs, if anyone is interested in looking at what can be stored, I am still working on importing earlier runs, the logging capability of this site are far superior to any other that I have used, this is a definite plus for me.  The only thing missing here is a calorie counting application, would make it perfect for me.

Upcoming events:

• 4/3/2011 - Marquee Olympic Triathlon
              • 5/7/2011 - Rio Salado Olympic Triathlon

Completed:

• 3/5/2011 - Run for Ryan House Half Marathon 1:50:43
              • 1/16/2011 - PF Chang’s Rock ‘n’ Roll Half Marathon 1:57:48
              • 12/5/2010 - Fiesta Bowl Half Marathon 1:59:19
              • 11/7/2010 - Amica International Triathlon - Finished 2:50:16
              • 10/9/2010 - Prospector Olympic Triathlon - Finished 2:48:25
                Under Resources -> Calculators, you can find a calorie estimator.
                macd

Indy Half Marathon

Hi all! Wow, it is busy when there's a reliable Reply button! No way I can keep up with all that's going on at work this week, so just a few shouts...

Joe, I posted on the other thread about emailing my vote. Thanks! Hope we have not lost runjr somewhere along the way??

Jay, I haven't messed with my log settings in a while, but when I tried to just make my log open to the group before, it didn't work, and I had to make it open to everyone. Maybe that's fixed now?

Jenny, I missed the 'what's wrong with Peyton?' segment (dang!). Most of what I've read though suggests that nothing is wrong - he seems to be one of the leading candidates for MVP. If only Drew Brees would trip up (j/k).

Rob, hilarious costume ideas - I missed those! Hope your forced lay-off is going okay.

Juli, good luck on this weekend's half! I think you'll surprise yourself.

misswendy, wow - way to up the mileage! Hope it didn't aggravate your foot. What are your kids dressing up as for Halloween?

Doc, nice run in the dark... but do get a light! I almost always take one anymore, but am hopeful after the time switch I might not need it - 5 a.m. though, I probably still will.

I did get to the track this morning for 10 x .25 intervals, and was decently consistent, with only the first being too fast and the 6th being too slow... I was glad for yoga at lunchtime today because my hamstrings really needed the stretch.

I'll try to catch up more later.

Larry- I'm from north central Mass

Greenfield area/Fitchburg are?

Where I do most of my weekly runs in nice weather is from Granby Ct, up into Southwick MA on the old Railroad beds that have been converted to trails.  They are in the process now of going even further into Southwick which will provide even more miles/options for me next year. 

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

doc825

shoutouts! sorry for missing anyone!

Newjogger- feeling better yet?

Juli- did you make it out in the rain?  I think I may now be the rain queen! I cant catch a break! By the way- I don’t think you should use the half as a training run. Ultimately, whether you’re training or not- that will be your first half marathon.

Spice geek- you’re going to do great!!!! You’re strong! Our hero !!

Sue- best wishes on your new job (and starting it after early bootcamp!)

Lisa- nice job on the 13K!

Larry- thanks for such a warm welcome! I really like this site! I will be visiting a lot of your suggested sites! Thanks !

Cara- what is a pumpkin workout? You’ve definitely earned the crazy comment- now the UK translation- you’re barking mad ! lol got my saucony progrid ride 2. they really fit me perfect and so light weight, going to start sounding like a commercial (uk translation adverts lol)

Kaenman- you rocked your last half- what are training are you following this time? I want to improve my time for my march half.

Bobev- best wishes on the wedding and thanks for the welcome! Hope to learn a lot from you!

Joe- you are king of RA! Lol!! By the way- when is your half!?? I’m a proud member of joe’s army!

TB- yay, you found us!

Teacia- hi! Sounds like you have a lot on your plate- keep up your running and remember that if you cant do the half in December- there will  no doubt be another one in the spring!

Snowman- take care of yourself! Sad sorry tonya harding got you too!

Cyndi- nice tat! Congrats again!

Vixidu- hi and thank for the welcome!

Teresa- doesn’t matter how fast you go as long as you go! Well done!!!

Misswendy- did you ever PR on your 5K last Sunday?

Meg- hope your butt settles down, lol… Halloween races are fun. Definitely go for something easy to run in and wouldn’t use crazy make up either.

Jenny- sorry to hear about the defunct fitness room. Can you try outside runs near the hotel or don’t feel safe in the areas you’re at? I like the idea of the 5K plus the 5, but just take the 5 very easy. …Oh yeah, and GO PHILS!!!! Its going to be on fire here the next couple of days!! Love it, it is fun.

Rob- sorry about 2 days down- I feel your pain! I took it easy the last 2 weeks and feel like I’m back! (sorry- I am not rubbing that in, but you’ll be back too in no time!)

Simon- I like it a lot here. I will stalk the group no matter where, but I am staying here too.

Jay- I second what jenny said. you really are doing awesome (im so jealous!)

Mac- I will never do another run in the dark like that again- I was seriously petrified. I will no doubt get some light! Its only getting darker in the winter! What do you use? I don’t think head lamps are for me at all.

woooo, that was alot and i think i missed a lot too. happy wednesday!

I live in the Fitchburg area. About 25 min from me there is a rail trail that goes from Ayer, ma to NH. It is 15 miles one way .Its where I did most of my long runs training for my marathon.
                        macd

Indy Half Marathon

Doc, I have a firefly that velcros around my wrist (from the road ID place... someone here suggested it) - I usually wrap it around my hand, as on the wrist, it doesn't really point where I need it to. Also have a small lightweight flashlight that works just as well. The firefly can be clipped to your shorts, shirt, or hat too... but I think that works better if you want people to see you than if you want to use it to see where you're going!
                          JoeInTX

TBMcKay - Good run!  Brrr 35 is too cold!  I'm down in SE Texas.  It's 79F here now!  lol

Doc825 - Good morning run!  Have fun tonight!

MissWendy - Nice recovery run.  Wink

Rick - Good TM workout, it is handy for when you want to do speedwork.

SimonR - Thanks for popping in and the advice.

Larry - Thanks, I'll try and write something there tomorrow (while at work! - lol).

Jay - Sounds like you'll be running more on that trail.

Awaldvogel - Thanks for the tip on the Calculators!

Macd - I haven't heard from Runjr on Facebook either, so I don't think its the move here.  Got your vote, thanks.

Doc825 - My half isn't until Jan 10th.  Got your vote, thanks.

Joe
                              hi all I have been traveling for work and it has been busy.  I see we are all here and I am happy about that.  I will try to catch up tomorrow.

PR's Komen 5k Sept. 2009 21:11 Badgerland Striders HM Aug 2009 1:37 Boston Marathon  April 2011 3:29 BQ

JoeInTX

Runjr - Hey there you are man, we've been looking for you!   Hope you had a good day yesterday!  Oh and I know how you feel about this site.