Half Marathon Trainers

Intrepid Racers Oct 4 & 5 (Read 16 times)

an amazing likeness

Have you ever reached the end of a race and just been exhausted with a capital E? What I notice is how quickly the physical exhaustion passes...you'll often go from being a bit wobbly and weak for a few minutes after the finish to feeling solid on your legs in the time it takes to sip some water and maybe grab a post-race snack. On the other hand, mental exhaustion sets in. Think about it -- there's this steady growing pressure as you've focused on a training plan for weeks or months; worried about pace, the course, the weather, not failing your goals. Then race day is a rush of traffic, parking, and logistics. In the race itself you check your splits and analyze effort 2, 3 or more times per mile; and as your discomfort increases you do it more. I hear from experienced runners that finding a way to let it all go and just run is the path to great results. Let the body do what you've trained it for, and not ask of it what can't be delivered that day.  Easy to write, but an elusive goal.

When I saw the list of this week's race plans the geographic span across North America really was something to see...corner to corner from Florida to Pacific Northwest through the great plains of Saskatchewan to the top northeast corner.

I was skimming through Zelanie's training plan and results and it was so impressive - 50 & 60 mile weeks. Not many 1st time marathon runners show up this prepared. Wow. Good luck Z!  You'll do great.

October 4, 2014 Docket_Rocket Disney World Tower of Terror 10 miler 10 miles Orlando, FL
    October 4, 2014 CanadianMeg Flatlanders HM 13.1 miles Regina, SK CA
    October 5 milktruck Maine Marathon half 13.1 mi Portland, ME
    October 5, 2014 Zelanie Portland Marathon 26.2 miles Portland, OR

Good luck to all...may you have fleet feet, following breezes, easy miles and short porta-potty lines!

(trivia Portland OR is named after Portland ME)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Good luck, guys!

I am running it with hubby and it will be an easy run/walk before the Chicago Marathon next weekend, so nothing major.

Damaris

May you all have aweome races!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Cyberic

I wish you all great races.

Cyberic

I hear from experienced runners that finding a way to let it all go and just run is the path to great results. Let the body do what you've trained it for, and not ask of it what can't be delivered that day.  Easy to write, but an elusive goal.

My racing has not reached that level of maturity.

Zelanie

Thanks, MT!  I actually didn't know that about Portland.  They did almost send my suitcase to Portland, ME once, but luckily I noticed the airport code on the bag.

Training on Hanson's actually didn't feel a lot more intense than a lot of the HM training I did, until maybe 9 weeks out.  Then the start of the school year and peak training mileage hit at about the same time.  Yikes!

Got my number tonight, and we'll head back up there tomorrow afternoon.

D- Enjoy the fun run!

Meg- Good luck!

MT- Have a good run in the "original" Portland!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I can not calm the butterflies today. We're below freezing now at 8am and the rain is supposed to start this morning. We'll be hovering around freezing or just above most of the race. Seriously not sure how to dress for that. I'm sure I'll dress wrong. The standing around before the race is the killer for me too and that's probably 15 minutes of waiting around bc I can't show up any later than that. Argh!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

I can not calm the butterflies today. We're below freezing now at 8am and the rain is supposed to start this morning. We'll be hovering around freezing or just above most of the race. Seriously not sure how to dress for that. I'm sure I'll dress wrong. The standing around before the race is the killer for me too and that's probably 15 minutes of waiting around bc I can't show up any later than that. Argh!

Yuck!  The race will be warm once you start running, the problem is how to not get cold and wet waiting at the start.  My approach is to find your oldest worn-out shirt of jacket and wear it over your race gear. Toss it aside after you get going and get some warmth.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

HUGE SUCCESS! BIG PR! 

I wore a half zip with a wind jacket over top, running tights, a regular running hat and gloves. I unzipped early in the race, but rezipped midrace when we had something falling that could've been snow or frozen rain. I pocketed the gloves in the first 5 miles. I've run this 10K before, but this was my first time doing the half.  The event is a 5K-10K-half and registration is capped at 800 participants. It's a different feel to do such a small race. (By comparison, the other half I've run is 1500 half runners and about 4500 total participants.) To my shock, there wasn't wind despite the fact it was 40-60kph windd all week.

My goal was to go out and try to stay around an 11mm pace. My pace crept down to 10:35-10:40 often and I would ease up to try to get it closer to the goal. I ran with the focus on the current mile; it's not 13.1, but just the mile I'm in right now. I tried to relax and just run.  I drank on mile markers and actually finished my 500 ml bottle late in mile 12. My shoes need to be retired after this race; legs are feeling a bit more beaten up than they should. (I knew it was coming, but hadn't been paying attention to the mileage on my shoes.) The course involved a fair number of sidewalks. Overall strong race and happy with how I paced myself. I cried at the finish line when I saw the clock because this is huge for me. I didn't think I could cut that much off my PR.

Previous PR: 2:25:01 (QCM 2013) ----- New PR by 2:27
                    QCM - Sept 07, 2014: 2:26:27 --- Faster today by 3:53 --- New PR: 2:22:34

Splits: 10:49 - 10:51 - 10:59 - 11:03 - 11:09 - 10:51 - 10:56 - 11:07 - 10:58 - 10:57 - 11:03 - 10:51 - 11:00

Still waiting to find out how I placed as far as field/gender/age group. I am so happy with the race I ran. My legs are a little sore, but I'm not feeling beaten up. Smile

ETA: Overall 157/186 and W30-39, I placed 30/35.Small group! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

Congratulations, Meg!  Great job today!

hog4life

MEG- CONGRATS! !  That is so awesome.

Cyberic

Congratulations! Great racing Meg!

Great job Meg!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

redleaf

Yippie!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

an amazing likeness

HUGE SUCCESS! BIG PR! 

Previous PR: 2:25:01 (QCM 2013) ----- New PR by 2:27
                                QCM - Sept 07, 2014: 2:26:27 --- Faster today by 3:53 --- New PR: 2:22:34

Splits: 10:49 - 10:51 - 10:59 - 11:03 - 11:09 - 10:51 - 10:56 - 11:07 - 10:58 - 10:57 - 11:03 - 10:51 - 11:00

ETA: Overall 157/186 and W30-39, I placed 30/35.Small group! Smile

Wow!  That's really a great day Meg. You knocked your PR average pace/mile down by over 10 secs/mile!  That's major.

Congratulations!!!