Half Marathon Trainers

redleaf's training thread (Read 83 times)

redleaf

There are too many plans! How am I supposed to pick between them?

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

There are too many plans! How am I supposed to pick between them?

I hear you! I'm trying to figure out what I want to do this summer. Here's my take> you have to pick and chose, based on what's important. I've made my own plan the last few years, adding and taking away what works or doesn't. For me, I want my longest long run at 10-11 miles; I've run 12 but didn't see any benefit from it. Long run is about time on feet. I have my own idea of what I want to peak out at mileage wise and how many days a week I want to run. (My log has multiple training plans I've used.)

You know how to do it. Figure out the weeks until your goal race. Decide how many days per week you want to run and what sort of time or top mileage you want/have time for and go from there. The plan needs to fit you, not you fit it.

ETA: As I was logging my run, it said I had a planned run for today bc I had worked on a training plan for this year. Well, I deleted that, started over with a new plan starting next week and did a rough run through with what I liked from the last 2 years. I'm not doing tempos. I'm not doing as many hills. I am doing a 6-7miler midweek and long on Sunday. Hopefully it's good.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Zelanie

redleaf- Congrats on the PR!

As far as plans go, I try to pick one that fits the way that I feel like running for that particular training cycle.  Last time I went with Pfitz because I wanted to develop a medium-long run and get the confidence knowing that that distance was just a regular weekday run for me.  This time I went with Hanson's because I want more practice running at marathon pace, and I like the idea of "moderate" intensity for most workouts rather than super hard or super easy.

I don't know that following a plan makes me any faster at all.  But it helps structure my training.  And if it keeps me happy while I'm training, then it's the "right" plan.

redleaf

redleaf- Congrats on the PR!

As far as plans go, I try to pick one that fits the way that I feel like running for that particular training cycle.  Last time I went with Pfitz because I wanted to develop a medium-long run and get the confidence knowing that that distance was just a regular weekday run for me.  This time I went with Hanson's because I want more practice running at marathon pace, and I like the idea of "moderate" intensity for most workouts rather than super hard or super easy.

I don't know that following a plan makes me any faster at all.  But it helps structure my training.  And if it keeps me happy while I'm training, then it's the "right" plan.

See, I don't even know enough to know that the Pfitz plan has a medium-long run. Nor do I know what I want to do except improve consistency and 'get better'

What I'd like to find is a chart. "Here are all the major systems/approaches/what have you. Here are there main parts."

Maffetone - basic theory - main parts - best for these types of people; not for for these types of people

Higdon -

Daniels -

Galloway -

Chi running -

In the meantime I think I'll start with the Hall plan I started last time. I'm going to take the Maffetone book (the big book of endurance racing) with me on my PEI trip. If that makes sense then maybe I'll switch to that? I dunno.

HF #4362

Zelanie

So I am adding what I know, which of course may or may not be correct since it's just based on my perception.  Hopefully others will add their info too!

Trainer Basic Theory Main parts Best for Not recommended for
            Maffetone Training by heart rate      
            Higdon Train to be able to finish a race at your goal distance Steady increase of weekend long runs, shorter runs during the week, varying amounts of speedwork depending on level First time at a distance, or improving on a previous performance if you've used his plans and liked them in the past. Anyone with concerns about long runs as a high percentage of weekly mileage, or a rapid increase in the LR distance
            Daniels The body responds to training at different pace ranges to maximize fitness gains A variety of plans for training cycles based on goal races at a variety of distances.  You use the Daniels Running Calculator to calculate your E (easy), M (marathon), T (tempo), I (interval), and R (repetition) pace, and use those paces in training.  His new book also has lots of information about how to adapt your training if you're a slower runner, including capping LRs by time and has extended VDOT tables with a whole range of paces and adjustments for age. Those who enjoy the science of running, want to cap their LR as a percentage of weekly mileage or at a certain amount of time, or who like precision in their workouts. People who don't appreciate the "some assembly required" aspect of his plans and just want to be told what to do and when
            Galloway You can run further and faster overall if you take planned, structured walk breaks      
            Chi        
            Cyberic

I'm surprised you didn't add a Hansons entry, Zel, as you probably know about their training philosophy since you're following their plan.

Zelanie

I would have, but I haven't looked at their HM plans, and I don't think redleaf is interested in a full.  Unless I'm mistaken on that count!

Cyberic

Ah! Got it! Wink

Ryan Hall half marathon plan

Hope  this link works.

Good points - I like the variety of things to do, I enjoyed the Tuesday interval runs, but I rarely did the mid week tempo rounds. On bad weather or days I was tired I would do an active rest day in the gym - elliptical/ rowing or bike As the XT.

Bad points - because I was doing the intervals.  I sometimes was really tired before I got the the long run of the week And I lost confidence in the long run after a few crappy endings. I also think a mid week medium long run (6 -8 or even 10 miles if you're high mileage) is more important than a tempo.

I am going to modify this for myself for my fall race (Toronto)

A

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

Here's a link to a message thread in the main forum with a good discussion around the various plans.

Link

I'll share that Bhearn (if you don't know his running CV) is about analytical as they come -- he's a monster of a runner (ran 100 miles in under 24 hours this weekend at Western States ultra), but he's a scientist through and through and an analytical genius.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

y'all are awesome.

hog4life sent me Ryan Hall's plan last year. I'm going to try that one again for this round while I read more on the other plans.

Zelanie - no fulls for me - I adore my halfs. But I would have thought the ideas behind the two would be similar even though they're different distances?

I have the plan done up as a google spreadsheet. I'll have to try and figure out whether, and if so when, I can copy it all over to here. .

HF #4362

Zelanie

Hmm, well with Hanson's I'm really not sure what direction they would go with the HM.  The general principle is to cap time on your feet for the LR, as well as run a LR only every other week.

Other than that, they start with speedwork around 5K-10K pace, transition into "strength" work around HM pace, and also have weekly MP runs.  The schedule calls for 6 days a week, speedwork days always on your 6th day straight of running, MP runs always the day after the RD.  And LRs are a tad faster than easy pace.

redleaf

Well, as I mentioned elsewhere, I'm going to stick with the Ryan Hall plan for this training. I've had to do a little rejigging of the week because of other things I've signed up for (that whole being more well rounded so I am less round).

Here's a rough idea for my weekly schedule:

Monday am: Yoga bootcamp

Tuesday am: short run (from day care to home) it's only about 4 km; I'll add on distance as I go to keep it between 30-45 minutes

Tuesday evening: soccer (keeper)

Wednesday am: tempo runs

Wednesday evening: swimming lessons

Thursday (either am or evening): alternates between short easy runs and what Hall calls "race sims"

Friday: lunch - alternating between yoga and swimming

Saturday - Sunday - this is where I'd like some help. Would you do intervals Saturday and long run on Sunday or long run on Saturday and Intervals on Sunday? I'm leaning towards intervals on Saturday and long run on Sunday but I don't really know why.

Saturday afternoon is also a yoga class.

HF #4362

Cyberic

Whatever yu do, as long as you run, everything is just fine.

Last year (I probably said this before, forgive my senility) I prepared for a half-marathon by running 6 days a week, but no plan. Back-to-back medium long runs on the weekend, to use a Hanson principle of cumulated fatigue, so Sunday's run was harder even if pretty much the same as Saturday's, and then 1 day out of two a harder workout. But noting fixed. It could be to "run faster and hold it" (kind of a tempo run), or some kind of Interval or Fartlek run. Often I didn't know before I left. I only knew if I was going to run hard or easy. The results. I will nver be able to compare, but I'm pretty sure I was very well prepared for my first half.

This summer I've changed the program, but am still not following a plan. Just principles. Instead of back to back medium long runs, I run less on Saturdays, but do a long run on Sundays. And I'm more consistent with Interval sessions and less tempo runs than last summer on hard days. But I might change that very soon. I am thinking about it. But whatever I do I think I'll be well prepared.

Bottom line, in my book: Run lots. Mostly slow. Sometimes fast. I'm sure any plan (Hall, Hansons, Pfitz) will make you do just that.

Well (probably because of how I feel right now after my first interval session of the season...pooped!) I wouldn't do the intervals and long runs on back to back days. Is there any way to  fit in the interval run on monday or tuesday? They do take some time (at my pace) with the warm up/ cool down...

For example this week I'm doing

M rest/ walk to work (3-4 miles depending on route)

T interval

W cross training (gym stuff mostly biking, maybe easy spin class)

R short run

F tempo run

S short run

D long run

My two cents, A

Recalculating...