Half Marathon Trainers

August (Read 35 times)

ashleyww

Zelanie - Congrats on the 8.5 miles and good luck with double digits!  I am a little worried about balancing training with the start of the school year too.  I am a teacher but this will be my first year running while starting back with the craziness.  Any advice?

I did my long run (9 miles) this morning since I am not sure I will be able to this weekend.  It was my first time running for more than 2 hours and it went much better than my 8 mile run on Saturday so I was very thankful for that.  I step back this week, but I am a getting nervous about the double digit run the week after.  I know it is only a mile more than I have done, but it is longer than I've ever run (although this being my first half, each long run since 6 had been my longest ever).

Zelanie

Ashley- I remember worrying about fitting my training around the start of the school year last year, but looking back, I don't know that it was a big deal.  I just had to plan my runs at the start of the week.  First I'd find the days that I couldn't run at all, and then I just had to figure out a way to make the other ones work.  Hopefully I can do the same this year.

That's awesome that you're over 2 hours for your LR!  That's supposedly the "magic" number according to the Running Wizard folks. Smile  I ran my first 10-miler last December, and it was harder than it needed to be.  10 miles is a long time to worry about not being able to run 10 miles, you know? Smile  I took it extra slow because I was worried about making the distance, but because of that I ended up with a lot more "time on my feet" than I was used to.  The next time I ran 10, I just told myself I was out for 8-10 and ran at my usual LR pace and it was fine.

an amazing likeness

Good to read about positive stuff happening on your injuries....Zelanie and Hog4life. Looks like you're both getting back to building base miles and sounding somewhat hopeful. Cool!

ashleyww -- it's a all-to-common 'trap' for newer runners to try and be too rigid with their training plans, so be cautious about adding stress and pressure onto yourself.  Time and time again, you'll see experienced runners describe their training plans as 'guidelines' and multi-week goals and they don't hesitate to move runs, and even change them to fit schedules and how their body is reacting to the training loads.  What they do well is know that training is about the total volume of the plan, not any one day's run.  Unsolicited advice...but I'll put it out there.

And I agree with Zelanie's excellent point that the money run for building endurance is 90 - 120 minutes.  Be careful about letting a mileage goal carry you into a run much over 150 minutes....there's little or no return going over 2.5 hours in training for half marathons.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

an amazing likeness

Race calendar is updated with all the latest updates.  Looks like we're getting back into weekends with races scheduled as fall schedules ramp up...so Intrepid Racers will be back starting this week.

I got talking into running with a company group in a local 'corporate challenge' 5K tomorrow night...and I'm no 5K runner!  (old, slow and fat are no way to run 5Ks, son) This will only be my 4th 5K overall and the team's placement is aggregate time of all our top 3 men + our top 2 women.  With a really challenging 10K coming up on Sunday, and my iffy hamstring....I'm not sure how much to push it. We'll see.  Undecided

I've been in a good running mode for the past few weeks, finally making up some distance on my annual miles goal and have almost closed the gap between actual and goal caused by the big 0s I posted back in winter / early spring.  Starting to get more confident that hamstring is holding up, so I've registered for 3 fall halfs...1 in Sept & 2 in Nov.  Will have to fill in Oct.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

August has been fantastic for me, my mileage is creeping up and am now into the double digits.  My health and my body are holding up well and this is doing wonderful things for my mind.  I only decided about 3 weeks ago, that I was even going to try any race this year and I picked a HM.  I picked a race for Sept 15th (with a back-up plan of the 22nd) and knew it would be a stretch, but the miles have rolled along and I'm actually several weeks ahead of plan with hitting 11 miles last weekend

It has been like a turn of a switch for me the past couple of months on my health turn around which in turn is reflected in my running.  I hadn't been logging any of my runs (in fact hadn't been on to RA in a year or so) so my log is incomplete.  I am starting to add the runs in that are on my Garmin, but not all of my runs are there (you know the story, (forgot it, forgot to charge it, forgot to start it, etc)  But a quick look at my log and you'll see the step improvements of not just distance, but avg times.

I only decided about 3 weeks ago, that I was even going to try a HM this year.  I picked a race for Sept 15th (with a back-up plan of the 22nd) and knew it would be a stretch, but the miles have rolled along and I'm actually several weeks ahead of plan with hitting 11 miles last weekend. My wife is my #1 Supporter, but most people think I've gone nuts.  I've got to be careful not to overdo it, but I'm not doing heavy training (hills, speed) and not really able to run consecutive days (although I did this week)

I'm far from where I was 4 years ago, but so far better than I was last year and early this year.  The mental change is just as unbelievable and is why I've come back home to RA and our group. 

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Heading out this morning to give a run at 12 miles.

Leave for Otawa Canada in the morning for business, have got to try and fit in some runs.  I have been avoiding much travel for work, but didn't have too much choice on this trip.  Don't you just hate when work interferes with your running?

LPH

hog4life

Larry, my work schedule changes quite often, sometimes the schedules work in favor of running, and sometimes not.

I got a double today. 4 this morning before church and then 4 again this evening. My foot is flaring up a little because I needed to stop taking the anti inflammatory meds. I'm having my one year check up from the colon cancer on Tuesday, so doctors orders. I'll pick up and continue them towards the weekend. I also have a 7k coming up on Saturday, but I won't be racing.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

It would be really nice if the temperature could find somewhere less than 30*C plus humidity for my runs lately!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Hi Ashley! Don't think we have spoken before. MT gives excellent advice- as do others in this group, a really good resource!

Larry it's great to hear from you again, and to see you are feeling so positive about things. It has been a long route back to training regularly again.

Weather in my area has been good, Meg, mostly around low 20's C or low to mid 70's F. I am definitely a cool weather runner though, and dislike carrying water.

Not much to report in the way of running but we went to the Royal Ontario Museum yesterday and learned a lot about Mesopotamia and early civilisation, which was fascinating.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I had to cut my run short yesterday and drop a good chunk of long run. I hate to even look at my log now and see that short bar. I'm trying to stay positive about training, look forward not back, but it's hard. Training is really really testing my mental toughness.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Meg, do tell us why you cut it short, What happened?  Just a bad day?

Hog4, good luck on the follow-up.  I'm lucky, that so far my feet are holding up really well, very few blisters and no major ones.

Simon, thanks for the note and encouragement.

Found some great running path here in Ottawa and hope to be able to get out Wed or thursday night and get a run in.  We didn't get back form dinner tonight until after 10:30, but I did manage to go down to the pool and swim for 15 minutes early thisd evening before dinner.  So that meets wiht the DRs orders of no back to back runs.

LPH

Oh BTW, I forgot my report for my long run.  I was planning on 12 miles and had a course mapped out from the new Cond, but at the last minute we changed beach plans which made me shift courses and quickly mapped something out that was off.  So I was approaching 11 miles and knew I was going to be closer to 13 miles, so I started pushing at the 11 mark figuring if I died at 12, so what, I made my goal,  So for mile 10-12.5 (forgot to hit my Garmin) I did a 8:58 pace or so, then really kicked it in and did the next 1/2 mile in 4:04 (fastest anything of the year) and cruised to my finish completing 13.4 miles in something like 2:04:31 (will have to check my log for the exact time).

I got a little tired around mile 9, but pushed on and finished not only easily, but very strong.  Let's hope it wasn't a quirk and that I have a couple more of those in me.

I wish I could put into words what I am feeling about running again and being able to come back.

Larry Cool

LPH

hog4life

Larry, that sounds like a very strong run, nice.

No running yesterday or today, prepping for and having the colonoscopy. I hope to be able to get a short run in Wednesday but will have to see how the meds linger.

I think the preparation for the procedure is the worse part.  I have to schedule a new one in the next couple of months, but "knock on wood" I haven't had any colon problems yet and this is just my 5 year exam.

If you aren't able to run, maybe some cross training might feel good.

Good Luck to you.

LPH

hog4life

Thanks Larry. I used to do some XT, but havent in a while, so maybe this will give me the chance to start back.

The procedure went well, I suppose, no tumors or polyps, so no biopsies taken. They did, however, find an impassible restriction. I went immediately for a CT with contrast, and will know the results in 2 weeks when I go back in for my follow up. Tomorrow night is the kickoff for our No Boundries, or NOBO for short, which is very similar to C25K. I'm one of the assistant coaches.