Half Marathon Trainers

August (Read 35 times)

Well be sure to keep us posted on the results.

Did you get some CT under your belt?

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Hi everyone- hope your training is going well!

I have managed to be a bit more consistent this week but still having trouble with my pacing. I keep running too fast for the purpose of the run, then taking a walk break. I still need to adjust to my lower level of fitness and get a goal in mind to work towards.

I am thinking of entering a half on October 20th as I clearly cannot prepare for the marathon I had hoped to run this fall.

I seem to have low energy levels most days, so will start taking a multi vitamin supplement with iron and B complex to see if that helps.I am sure its no big deal.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

7k race done in 38:10, for a 8:43mm pace. This is slower than my HM pace, and is okay with me. Considering the issues I've been dealing with, I'll take it. I kinda had a goal to finish between 8:30-9:00 pace, so I accomplished that, and therefore happy. 42/137 OA, 7/7 AG, ha, lots of old guys racing today.

redleaf

glad to hear you did well hog4life.

Finally fit a run in today. Life has been a bit bonkers and I've been feeling sorry for myself. Hard to think it was just last week I had such a great run. Sigh.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Finally fit a run in today. Life has been a bit bonkers and I've been feeling sorry for myself. Hard to think it was just last week I had such a great run. Sigh.

Thanks.

Dont feel sorry for yourself, life gets in the way for all of us.

We all have good weeks/ bad weeks.... Don't worry.  I bet everyone around here understands that and maybe can help.

I had a tough slow hot and humid long run yesterday (Friday) to clear the weekend for some wedding parties that we are attending. Somehow today (rest day) is 20 degrees(!) cooler with no humidity. Oh well.

Just working through my training plan this month. 24 miles this week, 26 next, etc... I'm pretty slow this year - I would do a dance of joy for a 8:43 mile... Hehe

so I know it will  take some time to get back to where I was in 2011 (didn't race in 2012) I'm already thinking about a bit of post race weight training slimming down in the winter.

Happy Saturday, A

ps I'm just finishing up my last Tour de France episode, I need a new sport or back to David Attenborough nature shows.

Recalculating...

Zelanie

Larry- Glad to hear that your training is going so well!

Meg- How is it going?

Simon- I hope the multi vit. helps.  It turns out I am on the low side with my ferritin, so I have been taking a supplement with some Vit. C in the morning on an empty stomach.  Or at least I wait as long as I can to eat when I'm trying to get out the door in the AM.  Hopefully it will do the trick.

Ayola- That's some dedication watching through the Tour until now!  I enjoyed watching it but missed a lot since we don't DVR.

me- Got my LR up to 10 miles last week and really enjoyed every step.  I think that when you have the base to support it, then the LR itself isn't too big a deal.  But I won't be surprised if the second try (for this training cycle) feels harder, since I won't have the excitement that I am really able to do it.  The nice thing is, I'm just about where I was 3 months out from my last half- 30 MPW with a 10 mile LR.  But I've also been at 30 consistently for a lot longer than I was last time, when I hit that number and just kept adding.

an amazing likeness

Work's been more hectic than usual...so just been finding time every now and then to scan through messages, usually via iPad and I don't like posting from it. Good to see the upbeat posts from all who are coming back from various injuries:

Zelanie looks like you're back to logging regular miles and the knee is holding up.

Hog4life - nice race, don't worry about the pace and start pushing it before your foot's ready.

lph53 -- Sept comes late this week, so getting close to your comeback race...are you ready?

Ayola -- what happened to the Navy 10K?  I see that you logged a 10mi run that day. (by the way...the dude from England wins)

redleaf -- stop skipping so many days, will ya?

Well, August is winding down and the early signs of fall are showing...evening runs finish in the dusk or dark, some leaves are showing yellow and apples are starting to drop, which brings out possums and skunks -- and you can't tell which is which in the dark. Yikes!  Makes the heart skip a beat for the moment it takes to get it sorted out as you're jogging along.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Meg- How is it going?

I am really struggling. The constant heat and humidity are really hurting my training, esp the long runs. I'm freaking out about my fall race (less than 2 weeks out).

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

an amazing likeness

it may not feel good to you, Meg but it looks to me like you're actually making the right moves to set yourself up for the best race result you can get. You've shortened runs when needed to get miles in, you changed from running for miles to running for time, switched to evenings at times, etc, etc.

Keep getting out there and logging those steady miles, and when race day dawns 15C, with prairie-blue skies, you'll have packed the miles into your legs you need for a good race.

I am really struggling. The constant heat and humidity are really hurting my training, esp the long runs. I'm freaking out about my fall race (less than 2 weeks out).

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zelanie

Meg- Hopefully they are hurting because they are making you stronger!   Smile  Good luck to you!

Meg, don't be discouraged.  You have to remember that the Heat and humidity may take a toll on your miles, but it is at the same time making you stronger.

I would question though whether or not your are preparing adequately before and during your runs with hydration and fuel.

Larry

LPH

This is why I hate traveling anymore, come back from the trip and you're flat out playing catch-up at work as there is no one to do your job for you while you are gone and so hard to squeeze runs in on the road.

I'm not going to try and answer/reply to all the notes, so forgive me, but know I do care.  I will comment on the numerous reports of bad runs and I agree, that we all have them, but we need to understand it’s okay and keep pushing on.   For me right now, no such thing as a bad run, any run for me I consider a good run based on where I was a few short months ago and the past couple of years.

For my long run, I did a difficult 12 miles on Sun, my old course at home that has a lot of little rolling hills and just seems to suck life out of you.  Had to walk a little after mile 9, the hills were just getting to me as well as the sun, heat and humidity (although they weren't really that bad).

I did work on refueling, digging out some gel packs and mixing them in with my drinks (hate that stuff Straight).  As I hadn't used them in 4 years, I wanted to be sure that I could still tolerate them which I did with no problem.  Stopped at car mile 8.5 to resupply fluids which I think is part of what did me in, can never seem to get back into a rhythm once I stop.

So kind of out of sync at the moment on runs, but should be able to get back in sync for the next couple of weeks.  I am thinking of doing my last long run on Monday instead of Sunday as we are having family gathering for Labor day and my birthday at the condo, so it would be rude of me to take off and go running. I think I’ll run the actual course.

I did go in this week and register for the race on the 15th, continuing to be positive that this is going to happen, physically and mentally I’m ready, just have to hope everything holds up. .

BTW, they asked me to make a trip to Wichita Kansas the week before the race and I told them absolutely not

LPH

redleaf

redleaf -- stop skipping so many days, will ya?

Well, August is winding down and the early signs of fall are showing...evening runs finish in the dusk or dark, some leaves are showing yellow and apples are starting to drop, which brings out possums and skunks -- and you can't tell which is which in the dark. Yikes!  Makes the heart skip a beat for the moment it takes to get it sorted out as you're jogging along.

working on it - just trying to get out there to run this week and not caring about what the training plan calls for. I'll get back to that on the weekend Smile

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

MT -skipped the Navy 10k. Not feeling fast these days. also  I lacked long runs in the last training cycle so I'm determined to get them done this time, hopefully with some weekly mileage 25-30 range. I'm feeling a bit out of shape and tired (work load is high at the moment) but I'm hanging in there. 12 mile long run coming up this Sunday.

Recalculating...