Half Marathon Trainers

Happy New Year! (Read 31 times)

HI All - streak ended last Wednesday when I became sick adn had a terrible headache that kept me home and in bed for 2.5 days.  I rarely get sick and will still run, but a migraine, just couldn't kick it...Went to the doctor finally on Friday, just to be sure nothing serious, as I had hit my head pretty hard on saturday with the tailgate of my jeep - funny and stupid mistake...The confirmed no concussion, just a really nasty cold, cough and headache.  Today is the first day I have felt really good.  Going to try to go back to the gym tomorrow and hopefully n cough to much and try to get a couple of easy miles in.  I feel like I will be starting all over again.

I have pretty much ruled out the half in Hyannis at the end of February, now and will set my sites on New Bedord in March.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

Teresa, nice week!

Barb, sorry about the head, but at least it wasn't more serious.

I completed day one of the RH plan today and it went pretty well. I got 6.78 miles, 2.5 were WU and CD, 6x800's at 8:00 ish pace with 400 recoveries. Temp was 35 with a feels like of 20, very windy! Tonight we go into the teens, with the high being 22 tomorrow, then hoovers with highs in the 30's and lows in the teens and 20's.

Zelanie

Cyberic- Good luck with your plan!  What are the key features of it?

D- Hiya. Smile  Hope you're starting to feel better.

Teresa- Nice job on the miles!

Barbs- Glad you're feeling better!

Mitch- Good to see you getting back into the swing of things.

me- I am starting to feel good again.  Had a great week this past week with several good back-to-back runs, and finally hit my paces for my intervals this week too, and even enjoyed them more.  Maybe some of the blahs at the start of the year was just residual fatigue from my high mileage weeks in December.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I felt well enough to run 7 with 2 @ MP last night, so yay?  7 more tonight.

Barbs, I hate streaks because life and illness always keep me from finishing them.  Hope you feel better.

hog, good luck with the Hall plan.

Z, could be.  Multiple marathons kept my mojo absent for more than 3 weeks.

Damaris

I would like to express my EXTREME displeasure with the weather - - I mean seriously.

I ran a 10K on Sunday morning - - it was about 9 degrees and negative 8 with the windchill....I could not feel my feet or my face.  Yesterday we got a respite in the high 30 and and BAM it's back to frigid today.

Got a decent hill workout on the treadmill this morning - -  4x 1200 @ 5.0 incline.

Barb - I am going to Hyannis but as part of a marathon relay - fingers crossed for good weather.....have you run New Bedford before?  A few of my friends are going to do the Fool's Run in Glocester in early april.

Zelanie - You probably needed a bit to recover from the high milage in december...good for you for hitting your paces - always nice to get that boost - especially in January.

Redleaf - How was the 5K???????

Hog - What is the RH plan?

Hope the day treats you all well...

Ready, go.

hog4life

I would like to express my EXTREME displeasure with the weather - - I mean seriously.

I ran a 10K on Sunday morning - - it was about 9 degrees and negative 8 with the windchill....I could not feel my feet or my face.  Yesterday we got a respite in the high 30 and and BAM it's back to frigid today.

Got a decent hill workout on the treadmill this morning - -  4x 1200 @ 5.0 incline.

Barb - I am going to Hyannis but as part of a marathon relay - fingers crossed for good weather.....have you run New Bedford before?  A few of my friends are going to do the Fool's Run in Glocester in early april.

Zelanie - You probably needed a bit to recover from the high milage in december...good for you for hitting your paces - always nice to get that boost - especially in January.

Redleaf - How was the 5K???????

Hog - What is the RH plan?

Hope the day treats you all well...

Ryan Hall 10 week half marathon training plan. It's tough but pays big dividends if you can do all the quality workouts.

I took an XT day with stretching(Yoga) and rolling.

Tara - I have done the New Bedford Half for the last 4 years.  It was my first, so it is kind of sentimental.  Last year was my worst, just wasn't feeling it, was a mess the day before and injured myself during the race (pulled groin at mile 9).  It can be a tough course and has grown tremendously in the last couple of years.  Rolling hills mile 3 and then one steep hill mile 12, .- every year I ask myself what were they thinking, can be cool, especially around the water front, yet I still go back for more.  my family thinks I am crazy - I tell them I have great company.

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

Hi All!  After a couple weeks of being beat down by flu which was followed by a graveyard chest cough, and a good old-fashioned winter...I've been slowing crawling back to some fairly normal running.  Had a couple 40-mile weeks, and tickled near 50 with 48 last week -- nothing  planned...that's just what happened.  Ran a 4-mile race at not much faster than 1/2 mar pace and, honestly, did not feel good for the last mile...so I still have a ways to go.

One "good" thing about the deep cold we're having this winter...it makes you really hustle your runs to keep warm -- nearly every "easy" run is really closer to cruise tempo pace, just to keep warmth the hands and legs.  (g)

Hoping to run a good time at a 10-miler this weekend, but I haven't been able to do any longer speed work outside due to the road conditions (been running on ice or packed snow for the most part since Thanksgiving), will have to depend on the few intervals sessions on the treadmill, so I'm expecting to fade pretty badly after 6 or 7 miles.

tl;dr version -- sick 1st two weeks of Jan, slowly building back, it's winter with cold, snow and ice. Trying to get into some steadier miles, but wont hit January goal by a long shot. That's all the running news in my world...

Good to see all the reports of folks getting back into the saddle and building consistency.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

5k was on the treadmill at 5:45 am. Neither good nor bad I am just happy it was.

Work has me super stressed right now so I've been trying to do stuff around the house - you know in my control - so today was a rest day.

I downloaded the app for the nike women's half. Say what you will about "destination races" right now this is what I needed. I'm spending some time converting miles to km (ARGH) and putting the plan on RA to start on Monday. I'm quite excited Smile

debating throwing caution to the wind and not taking walking breaks for this - i.e. no 10:1s  Any thoughts?

MT: hope you're better soon

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

red, when is the half? If you want to do away with the 10:1, then you should try to start training that way. I believe you can do it. Don't let the stress at work get to you, it's not worth it! I've been it that situation before, and it's not healthy.

5 miles in a feels like temp of 9.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I did my 7 on Tuesday and took an SRD yesterday.  6 recovery miles tonight.

MT, hope you feel better soon!

Tara, hope the weather improves for you.

redleaf, nice TM run.

Mitch, nice tempo run.

Damaris

redleaf

red, when is the half? If you want to do away with the 10:1, then you should try to start training that way. I believe you can do it. Don't let the stress at work get to you, it's not worth it! I've been it that situation before, and it's not healthy.

5 miles in a feels like temp of 9.

April 27. And I think that's what I'm going to try and do - I mean running the whole thing. I mean I'll never know unless I try right?

It's a pain converting the training plan but I cannot think in miles so I need to. I have the first few weeks done though so that's good. I'm getting over a chest cold right now so enjoying the break even if it's 'cause I'm sick.

HF #4362

This should be your DID - out of your comfort zone..You can do it.

April 27. And I think that's what I'm going to try and do - I mean running the whole thing. I mean I'll never know unless I try right?

It's a pain converting the training plan but I cannot think in miles so I need to. I have the first few weeks done though so that's good. I'm getting over a chest cold right now so enjoying the break even if it's 'cause I'm sick.

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

debating throwing caution to the wind and not taking walking breaks for this - i.e. no 10:1s  Any thoughts?

So let me ask this rhetorical question -- why?  Here's what I see that supports staying with 10:1....

• You usually finish pretty strong with no fade...often your last splits are your best, so obviously it is getting you to the end strong
                              • You don't run a lot of training runs that are pure run, especially in the 10-15+km range
                              • You'll end up running slower pace when you give up the :1 recovery periods
                              • You've got a lot of 'headroom' to improve in your running segments, before the :1 become the factor slowing you overall -- those :1 are actually making you faster overall

I see nothing but success from your 10:1 pattern and I'd rather have you say "my new 1/2 marathon PR is 2:30!" versus "I ran all the way in 2:45 and felt miserable at the end".

Sorry about the long-winded "why", but, hey, you asked. 

MTA -- thanks for the "get better" wishes everyone, I'm feeling much (really !much!) better.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

redleaf

So let me ask this rhetorical question -- why?  Here's what I see that supports staying with 10:1....

• You usually finish pretty strong with no fade...often your last splits are your best, so obviously it is getting you to the end strong
                                • You don't run a lot of training runs that are pure run, especially in the 10-15+km range
                                • You'll end up running slower pace when you give up the :1 recovery periods
                                • You've got a lot of 'headroom' to improve in your running segments, before the :1 become the factor slowing you overall -- those :1 are actually making you faster overall

I see nothing but success from your 10:1 pattern and I'd rather have you say "my new 1/2 marathon PR is 2:30!" versus "I ran all the way in 2:45 and felt miserable at the end".

Sorry about the long-winded "why", but, hey, you asked. 

MTA -- thanks for the "get better" wishes everyone, I'm feeling much (really !much!) better.

Thanks MT - as always, I appreciate the comments. The one in bold is what I was thinking of mostly. I have no way right now of knowing when the 1s will stop helping but I'm guessing I'll grow into it maybe?

Chest cough is almost all gone. I'm looking forward to starting the training plan on Monday Smile

HF #4362