Half Marathon Trainers

July (Read 25 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I had my best run in a very long time last night. Mind was in the right place I guess. I ran 8.12 miles with a bit of haze and visibility about half of normal from the smoke. I was so relaxed. Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

It sounds like everyone is doing well on their runs. I got 4.4 on Sunday with Bella, tonight was 7.1 without her. I'm going to run with a big group tomorrow morning, there is usually a few that run a bit faster than me, so I'm hoping I can hang with them for 8 miles, which should be tempo for me; 8:20-8:30.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Another 7-8 for me tonight.

Meg, great run!

Mitch, nice runs.  Bella must have been jealous of you going out to run without her.

Damaris

hog4life

Docket, Bella actually kind of gets sad when I don't take her. It's just too hot though to take her 4-5 times per week. I won't take her on anything too long either, maybe 7-8 at the most.

I ended up with 8.9 miles at 8:39, off the pace a little due to hills and heat, still a good solid run though.

7.3 miles this morning. One day I'd like to have a dog friend to run with... Not the best time today, I started a bit too fast (competing against another jolly jogger across the street little did she know, and she won, ha!) I  then slowed way down on the way home. Oh well. Tomorrow, spin class.

Happy Tuesday, A

Recalculating...

erinr

My dogs are small.  My next one will be a bigger one who can run with me.

Today was a few 800s on the track.  I was the slowest person in the group.  Oh well, I guess someone has to be Smile

hog4life

14.4 LR on Wednesday evening, then a 5.25 recovery run this morning. I'm starting night shift tonight, dam I hate nights!

an amazing likeness

Evening long to morning 5...that's impressive turn-around, Mitch. 20mi in ~12 hours.

The coached Track Group I joined is Tuesday nights and the workouts are getting harder as we near the end of the 6-week session. Early on I had to cut back on my mid-week longer run as it was taking a few days to recover from track night -- now as we near the end, the workouts are even harder and I'm hurting.

Tuesday night was 8 x 400m, starting at sub-7 min/mi pace and working down to 5:40min/mi pace -- in the cold pouring rain. I literally could barely walk yesterday, and bagged last night's run completely. I'm even wondering if I'll be able to run tonight, I'm so stiff and sore.

Things are looking grave for Saturday morning's Old Port Half...this may be a DNS unless I feel a lot better tomorrow.

Last weeks track workout was a ladder of distances, I really like it, how it stressed me aerobically and in turnover -- this is one I'll try to keep doing on my own.  (log link)

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yesterday I did a 5 miler with easy first and last miles but alternating 1/4 miles easy-hard for middle miles. It was tough, but I think it was a good shake up for me. My paces weren't as even as I'd like, but I think that will come later. We seem to be having a bit of a reprieve from the smoke now (yesterday and today are clear), but now heat is coming. Today's high is 32*C or 90*F. Supposed to be a bit hotter tomorrow. We won't be back to the high 20s until Sunday or Monday. It's a challenging time for me.

MT, as they say, we are all an experiment of one. Love hearing what is working for you. Hope your recovery gets better. Smile

Mitch, that is crazy turnaround. How are you feeling?

Half Fanatic #9292. 

erinr

Good luck on the half, MT.  I've got some nagging pains from my long run last weekend that I'm hoping clear up for mine, also on Saturday...

an amazing likeness

7/4 - 10K...goal is run course pb

7/11 - half marathon...goal is pick a split on race day and run steady splits through 11, then 10sec faster for 12 & 13

7/18 - 5 mile race...goal is better last year's time

7/25 - 5 mile race...goal is course pb

I'll probably be about 50:50 on those goals...but now that I've written them, the pressure's on. Yikes.

Old Port Half today was hot (as you'd expect in July) -- started at about 68F and climbed to 78F and sunny with no breeze at all, so dialed into a pace which was work, but sustainable.  One of the hottest run day of the year for me so far.  That just is par for the course with this event -- I usually expect to run 10min slower than whatever is my current all-out half fitness.

Wasn't able to run the plan of picking up from 11 in...had to hold steady, but did run fastest split in 12-13, about 10 secs faster than the previous couple splits. Goal somewhat met. I'll take it.

Commentary...

I'd say I'm somewhat experienced with running half marathons -- I think I've run over 40 of them. One of the things I've learned is that if you're a slave to some planned pace early in the race, you can easily run yourself into the ground and be cooked from 10 onward. You must adjust your plan (up or down). Today's weather was about 10F warmer than expected, and this course has a couple hard climbs in the early sections -- at mile 3 and then at 6. Today, climbing at 3, there's a guy next to me who is sweating like mad, breathing like it's a 5K and all the while checking his pace again, and again...saying "Crap, too slow, too slow.." out loud. So I said to him, the seconds you give up now will pay back in minutes from 10 on in.  He said "gotta go". Next time I say him was walking at about mile 6.

In general, I ran 20 sec/mi slower today than I planned I would. But when I crossed the finish, I couldn't have run another mile at that time; my calf were starting to cramp a bit, I had probably lost 3-4 pounds despite taking water at nearly every station. You must adjust to what your body can do that day, at that time. Running a fixed pace when you can't do it is just a recipe for disaster.

..end of commentary.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Thanks for the commentary. I need to hear that a bit right now with regards to my training. I'm feeling like I'm running really crappy paces but when it's this hot, I probably do need to be at this pace and I'm likely getting a similar workout to a faster pace at more reasonable temps.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

hog4life

5k this morning with the stroller in 26:57. I think I should start keeping up with my stroller PR's, lol. I ended the week with just over 43. I feel good, strong and healthy for my upcoming half in Sept. I am trying to do some speed work, but it's so hot out, the paces don't matter as much as the effort. I need to reap the message in MT's commentary and focus on slowing down just a bit. The weather should be cooler in Sept, so things should pan out to a good race.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  My week went OK, but I sure lack the mojo to run alright.  I have 6 miles tonight.

Mitch, great job on the race.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Old Port Half today was hot (as you'd expect in July) -- started at about 68F and climbed to 78F and sunny with no breeze at all, so dialed into a pace which was work, but sustainable.  One of the hottest run day of the year for me so far.  That just is par for the course with this event -- I usually expect to run 10min slower than whatever is my current all-out half fitness.

Wasn't able to run the plan of picking up from 11 in...had to hold steady, but did run fastest split in 12-13, about 10 secs faster than the previous couple splits. Goal somewhat met. I'll take it.

Commentary...

I'd say I'm somewhat experienced with running half marathons -- I think I've run over 40 of them. One of the things I've learned is that if you're a slave to some planned pace early in the race, you can easily run yourself into the ground and be cooked from 10 onward. You must adjust your plan (up or down). Today's weather was about 10F warmer than expected, and this course has a couple hard climbs in the early sections -- at mile 3 and then at 6. Today, climbing at 3, there's a guy next to me who is sweating like mad, breathing like it's a 5K and all the while checking his pace again, and again...saying "Crap, too slow, too slow.." out loud. So I said to him, the seconds you give up now will pay back in minutes from 10 on in.  He said "gotta go". Next time I say him was walking at about mile 6.

In general, I ran 20 sec/mi slower today than I planned I would. But when I crossed the finish, I couldn't have run another mile at that time; my calf were starting to cramp a bit, I had probably lost 3-4 pounds despite taking water at nearly every station. You must adjust to what your body can do that day, at that time. Running a fixed pace when you can't do it is just a recipe for disaster.

..end of commentary.

Great job on the race.  I laugh because that would be a Winter day for us here. :-D

Damaris