Half Marathon Trainers

May (Read 17 times)

MT - great time! What's your July race? I'm in Maine for the yearly visit mid month.

Embee and Damaris - feel better. I was sidelined by the cough mid week. I've been hiding from my husband as he has a chest infection and I really don't want to be impared for my 10k next week. I've already stepped down from the HM.

This week for me has been very light running wise (heavy work wise) : mon rest, Tuesday 5 miles, Wednesday 30 minutes, Thursday and Friday rest due to cough, yesterday 2.5 mile route very zippy as my legs felt rested. Today I'm running down to the marina , so about 8. Just drinking tea and waiting for the strawberry crisp in the oven  to be done - something to look forward to when I get home!

Have a great Sunday, A

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

MT - great time! What's your July race? I'm in Maine for the yearly visit mid month.

For me, July is the '5 and 10' month --LL Bean 10K (Freeport) on July 4, then Clam Festival 5-miler (Yarmouth) on 7/18 and Peaks Island (Portland) 5-miler on 7/25.

There is also the Old Port Half / 5K on July 11 right in Portland at the State Pier. I'm not sure if I'll run it this year...it's usually a death-march of heat & humidity.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Ahh two Saturday races... I'll be in Belfast late on Friday the 16th. The Yarmouth race is a stretch for an 8am start. We'll see. But we are staying in St George during the week so the Clam festival might be fun to hang out at on Sunday.  Thanks for the info!

7.75 miles today very warm 17C (for Halifax you lucky southerners)

A

Recalculating...

hog4life

A, nothing lucky about this southerner in Alabama, it was 90 degrees today, lol. That's way too hot for me.

MT, nice running! Congrats on the AG place.

I did a 10k course practice run today with Bella and about 30 other people that will be running the Cotton Row 10k in a couple of weeks. I should easily be able to PR for the distance, even though it's a tough course. Today's run was 56:05, I was taking it easy, as I had done 12 yesterday, plus had Bella with me, and we stopped a couple of times for her some water. I'll just need to get better than 8:20 pace for the PR. Sub 49 would be a stretch, but I'll see if I can pull it off.

erinr

I was really busy at work this week, sore from increasing my mileage too much last week, and it was gross out this weekend, so I only managed 15.8 miles this week.  But next week will be better, I just know it! Smile Also, my easy pace seems to have dropped 10-15 secs per mile fairly abruptly. Does anyone else ever notice this happen to them? It seems like improvements are never linear--it's always a plateau followed by a noticeable improvement.

hog4life

I was really busy at work this week, sore from increasing my mileage too much last week, and it was gross out this weekend, so I only managed 15.8 miles this week.  But next week will be better, I just know it! Smile Also, my easy pace seems to have dropped 10-15 secs per mile fairly abruptly. Does anyone else ever notice this happen to them? It seems like improvements are never linear--it's always a plateau followed by a noticeable improvement.

I had this same thing happen and asked the same question a while back. I believe the result, at least in my case, was a stronger base, and having warmer weather.

Congrats MT - nice job!

Got out for 6 miles on the beach Sunday.  Foggy and misty and humid, but I loved every minute of it.  I haven't felt that good about a longer run in sometime.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ran the 10 with 6 at MP on the TM Friday and they went well.  7 with hubby on Saturday and 20 on the TM on Sunday (with quality miles within).

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

And hello!

Damaris

From the Internet.

Yes! Most of my miles recently have been below 10:00, it happened pretty suddenly a couple of weeks ago. I credit the big bump in mileage for this training cycle.

erinr

Yes! Most of my miles recently have been below 10:00, it happened pretty suddenly a couple of weeks ago. I credit the big bump in mileage for this training cycle.

Nice!  Getting below 10 min/miles is great, because then a 4 mile run takes you less than 40 minutes, etc.  I don't know, I find something gratifying in that Smile  I've also been running more.  I think my body might finally be getting the message!

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I'm new to running, but IME improvement is always a big jump after plateau.  It's like the body has to rewire itself to go faster.

The kiddo has croup.  The pediatrician says some viral influenza strain is going around and that's probably what got us. I'm doing okay but tired.  Managed two miles tonight, working on clearing out the lungs and running lightly with a quick turnover.  Still feeling the weights workout from Saturday.

From the Internet.

Nice!  Getting below 10 min/miles is great, because then a 4 mile run takes you less than 40 minutes, etc.  I don't know, I find something gratifying in that Smile  I've also been running more.  I think my body might finally be getting the message!

Yes! I tend to think of runs in terms of 10 minute miles when planning what time I need to get up in the morning (i.e. 5 mile run is going to take me ~50 minutes), with a few minutes of buffer added on for days when I'm feeling slower/creakier. When I finish ahead of (somewhat arbitrary) schedule it's very satisfying.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I struggle with the whole pace thing. I've been trying this spring to ignore pace and just run easy and sometimes faster/tempo. I feel like I'm getting faster. I'm feeling good on runs and not feeling beaten up. I don't know if I've broken through a plateau or what. So much says you should run X much slower than your PRs, but I think that I don't run close enough to race in races and that my current PRs are maybe not what I'm capable of now so that really mucks up the theory of training slower. Besides my 5K PR is on ice which is a different run than now on dry pavement. It's too complicated for me some days.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

I notice that when I stop thinking about pace, I get quite a bit slower.  Not sure if that's a good thing or not -- I guess this race will be the tell.

2 miles easy today, just to shake out the legs a bit and clear the head/lungs.