Half Marathon Trainers

May (Read 17 times)

Cyberic

I think that when they (the people who know) say to slow down your easy pace, it is so you don't feel beat in your quality sessions and give your best in them. It is counterproductive to run easy too fast and go in tomorrow's quality run with tired legs, and not be able to complete the workout. But if that is not the case, I do not see why one would force him/herself to run slower.

hog4life

5 with Bella this morning.

Now that I'm free of the treadmill and running outside, I run by feel and don't worry about pace too much. Sometimes  I'll speed up on stretches. I have my phone set to mark the time (runkeeper) so I generally know where I am. No more intervals until training restart in July, just building up the miles.

5 plus miles this beautiful morning, A

Recalculating...

3.25 This moring which was awesome since the humidity seemed to have left just in time for a harder workout.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

8.3 this morning with Bella.

erinr

6.5 miles this morning, about 4 of which was with a friend who's faster than I am.  I'm beat but got a good workout Smile  I'm on track for about 20 miles this week.  Not amazing, but I've been consistent and the mileage is trending up, so I'm happy.  I feel like I'm in a lot better shape than I was for my last half, 6 weeks ago.  Looking forward to doing a race soon so I can see where I'm at.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Been a busy week for me but apart from missing 2 miles during last night's run, I have been able to run all.  I am now 60% on the TM, heading to 100% because it's too hot down here.  So far, so good.

Damaris

hog4life

D, cuddos to you for being able to even live in that heat.

11.2 for me with 8 friends.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

Learning experience:

1) running with bronchitis (or something in its neighborhood) sucks.

2) throwing out your back from coughing two minutes before the start also sucks.

3) 40 degrees and pouring rain also not ideal.

2:27:50 today for what was supposed to be a sub-2 attempt.  I ran only because trying to get a ride back in the rain sounded worse than trying to tough it out for two hours.  I'm not happy with it, obviously, but between the lack of air and the lack of hip extension I'm counting it as well, not a win, but something.

Embee - running with bronchitis does suck. You are a superstar for toughing it out. I'm hoping you get some well deserved RnR after the effort.

I ran in the Halifax bluenose race weekend  this morning (10k for me) Started at 8C/ 48F and rainy. It was very crowded in a good way, lots of folks with a happy vibe despite the weather. Two waves: sub 60 minutes and plus 60 minutes. I dawdled and didn't start at the back of the first wave and lumped in the middle of the second, a bit of a mistake (maybe I could have picked up a minute with the faster runners?). Kinda shuffled through the first mile in the crowd, past the 70 minute pace bunny. We cross a major bridge in this race and I managed those hills ok, as I practised them in training. I was less than a minute behind the 65 minute bunny at the turnaround. I walked the steep non bridge hills (hills 2 and 4) and then sped up for the final downhill mile to the finish. I guess I am more suited to the HM as I just started to feel warm and loose around 4 or 5 miles in (I'm more steady than fast) Alas, I don't think I caught the 65 minute bunny. But it I love my city on days like today.

Happy Sunday, A

Recalculating...

hog4life

Emm, sounds like a strong effort considering the circumstances.

A, did you do a.warmup? I too need at least 3 miles to get good and warmed up. Good race though.

12.4 on the 10k course I'm racing next week. Did the course twice, had lots of company so it was a good morning. Very muggy though!!

Yup, I live about 2 easy downhill miles from the race start, so I always walk/ run to the race (and walk home...) I get a bit anxious when racing, it does take some time to relax.. And I probably need to race more.

Recalculating...

emmbee

queen of headlamps

A, sounds like a good effort.  Is this a big 10K?  We don't have a lot of 10Ks around here, and I've never seen one with waves or pacers.  It's an odd distance, IME, hard to pace.  Glad you had fun.

I'm feeling okay today.  Still getting over the cough, but I don't think I made it worse, and while my SI joint is tender, it's tender in a way I've experience before as it's been the bane of my running since I had the baby, so I know once it calms down a bit that I can do my PT exercise and roll it out.  I'm taking the week off anyway and retooling a bit.  Need to find a better plan -- the McMillan plan was not a good fit for me.

Anyone used Higdon's Novice 2 plan? I want something that incorporates some faster paced running without the intensity of intervals, because I want to step up strength training a bit this summer.  4-5 days running with 2 days strength/XT training  would be ideal.

From the Internet.

I am now a half marathon runner instead of just a half marathon trainer! Big grin First half done this morning in 1:48:09.8, will link race report in the sticky.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

So awesome, Lauren!  Way to go!