Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 37 times)

hog4life

Red, 50 degrees is almost perfect but 40 is better for shorts, LS t-shirt, shorts, and gloves.

Meg, good luck!

Hi Tara, welcome to the group. You will get great opinions and advice here. All my kids are grown, and I have 3 grandkids ages 16,12, 10, so I completely understand about stress. Stress is bad! You and your kids will be okay.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Hi Tara!

after a few crazy days at work I'm not on vacation and looking forward to an early morning run in the Charlottetown harbour. Not sure I brought the right clothes for running in 10c (50f!) weather Smile

You can do it. Just remember, you want to dress for about 18 or 20*C if it's 10*C so when you get warmed up, you aren't sweltering overdressed. It'll be good scenery!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Mitch and Zelanie, nice job and good work on the 800s, 1000s etc.  I used to love doing them, but have stayed away from them this year (I did them one night when I was strapped for time and close to the high school to use the track) just to concentrate on enjoying running and running for distance more so for time.  I know they'll make me stronger, but will save them for next year when I'm going to start more serious training to improve times.

Zelanie, Yeah I know I'm right there to obtain my goal, but don't want to go in over confident and go out too fast and burn myself out.  I tend to be a progressive runner, getting stronger throughout the race, so pace for me is going to be important.  Figured out last night how to change my Garmin to add pace to one of my settings, so that should help me keep track and then just see how I feel.

Meg, sorry about your Garmin, but try this.  Take the eraser end of a pencil and rub the contacts on the back of the Garmin and on the charger. Then take a Q tip and dip it lightly in rubbing alcohol (Do not use Nail polish remover) and clean the contacts and blow dry.  You just may have dirty contacts and not getting a good charge.

Tara, Welcome to the group. I know what you mean about worrying about catching a cold or an injury or something, but those are things you can't really control, so try not to worry about them (easier said than done)  Be confident that you have put some time and effort into your training and that you are physically prepared and knowing that, you should then be mentally prepared.  Don't worry about nerves, nothing wrong with them.  Stay with your routines, eating, stretching and whatever, Race Day is certainly not the time to make any changes okay!  NOW remember, we expect a race report from you in the race report sticky when you're done.  BTW, 135+ HM, looks like we have a new speedster to the group.

Mitch, I have a new manta posted on my wall at work (need to figure out how to add it to my signature so it posts when I post (help anyone)

"TODAY I BROKE MY RECORD FOR MOST CONSECUTIVE DAYS LIVED"

Good Luck to everyone running this weekend

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

an amazing likeness

Larry - To change your forum signature line / phrase:  Options (upper right, under your username) --> Account Info --> Forum (left side tab).

Welcome Tara -- great to have you join us.  Is that the BAA Half you're running next weekend ?

Good to hear you're getting some relief from the PF, Mitch. Only to get into new uncertainty around your non-running health...hope everything works out to no surgery needed.  Be cautious about the PF, it needs constant attention and diligence.

Lots of good workouts and training miles being posted, it's impressive to read how specific everyone is....honestly, I couldn't even start to think how to run 800M...or 400M....I'm guessing these are track workouts.

Meg, I've been a Garmin user since May 2006...recently changed models from my old and tired FR205 to the FR210 and have been content with the change other than a few minor "hmmm....why did they do that?" head scratch moments.  Make the change, you'll like the FR10, I'll bet.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

MTruck - not the BAA - that's in October, it's the AllState half - hoping for good weather -

Stress does take a toll - I finally got a good night's sleep last night and it makes a world of difference.

Mitch and Zelanie  - Great workouts!  I actually like to do 800s but NOT on the track - I just do them on the road and set up the intervals on my Garmin - as long as it works :-)

Meg-  I use the FR210 (as does my hubby) and we love it - only a few glitches - but if you try to reset it, it might work???

Hope you have a great race - 50 degrees sounds perfect to me!

I've never written a race report - it is actually hard for me to remember the race immediately after - but I will try to remember a few things along the way to report!

Ready, go.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

I tried everything with my 305 -- cleaning with an eraser, rubbing alcohol, soft reset, hard reset, all of it. As of last night, I now have a Forerunner 10 (black/silver).  I'll take it to the Friendship Run tomorrow (a little easy run part of race weekend). I'm not confident enough in myself to just trust myself to run on Sunday without a watch. Last year, I went out too fast and couldn't sustain it. (Went under 10:30 pace for the first 3 miles).  That's the big thing for me this year: go out better at the start so I'm not struggling in the second half. Current forecast for race day is 19*C and rain.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

redleaf

Yep, went out in light long sleeve t and my skort thing. It was absolutely lovely - a bit windy so the harbour was just great.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Meg, sounds like the old Garmin batteries are just shot, you were "VERY" smart to go get a new one in time for the race. Good luck tomorrow.

MT, Thanks for the pointer on setting up my closing.  Good Luck in the Applecrest tomorrow.  I think that was one I was going to run in 2009 while at a Wedding in NH, but was shut out.  But seems to me it was later in the month, so maybe it was another Apple something!

Redleaf, Long sleeve and skort thing, sounds great.

Mitch, what are you doing to treat the PF these days?

Went out to do 5 miles yesterday, wanted to run a tempo of 9:00.  Started arguing with myself during the run to do 6 instead,  Settled on running to a certain point and returning which ended up being just less than 5.5 miles.  Did really great for the first 4 miles, right at pace and so decided I would just open the stride, work on form and turn over and kick to the end.  Here are my times.

8:58 1.0M, 8:58 1.0M, 8:53 .71M, 8:56 1.29M, 8:16 1.0M, 8:01 .42M.

8:42M Total 8:45 pace

Also completed loading all of my totals stored in my Garmin and have gone from running 9 miles in April to 96 miles in August.

LPH

an amazing likeness

Good Luck in the Applecrest tomorrow.  I think that was one I was going to run in 2009 while at a Wedding in NH, but was shut out.  But seems to me it was later in the month, so maybe it was another Apple something!

Yep..as you suspect there's two half marathons in NH in Sept/Oct named Apple-something. Applecrest (tomorrow) is newer and on the NH seacoast, and Applefest is now in it's 30th+ year and is inland down near MA border. One has a massive (1.5mi) hill and the other has a bunch of smaller hills. But the most important difference is that one serves apple pie w/locally made ice cream, and the other serves apple crisp.

I ran both last year and scored them as:

Organization overall: Tie

Course:......................Applecrest

On course:.................Applefest

Pre-race:....................Applefest

Post-race: .................Applecrest

Pie vs. Crisp..............Pie

hog4life

MT, now I want some apple something, haha.

Larry, Your paces look great! I missed saying it so ill do it now, Happy Birthday although its a little late. The most predominant thing that I do now is sleep in the night splint. I took a 30 day supply of Naproxen 500mg twice daily that finished up a few days ago. At the onset of the PF, when it was the worst and most painful, I did a lot of rolling with a golf ball and frozen water bottle. I also used a heating pad while laying on the couch watching TV. IMO, the biggest bang for the buck was the night splint, along with the meds.

Finished my LR of 13.1 miles in 2:17:00 today which will put me a little over 30 for the week. My foot is a little stiff and sore, but not painful. While running though, it was great.

Zelanie

OK, I have a training question. Smile

Right now, my training priorities are:

1. Build up my mileage base safely and consistently

2. PR my Nov. HM and recover well

I do have a 5K next weekend, and I am looking forward to it since I haven't raced since April, but really anything I do there would be second to my goals above.  So I am trying to figure out what to do about my LR for the week.  I think I want to run from my house to the race as my warmup, and then run home after the race.  It's about 3.5 miles each way, maybe a tad less if I take the less scenic route.  I usually do a 2 mile warmup before any race.  And in my Jan. 5K, I added some easy miles right after the race and it was fine.

While I might not run quite as fast in the 5K as I would with my "regular" warmup, it doesn't feel like it's that far out of line with what I usually do, and it would take care of my "LR" for the weekend.  Also, if I'm saving 10 miles for that Sunday (race day), that will enable me to run a tad easier during the week of the race without sacrificing overall mileage.

How does that sound?

Tara- Hi!  Hope you have a great race!  I am a super over-worrier, as you can see, since I'm already overplanning my next 5K, hehe!

Meg- Congrats on the new watch, and good luck this weekend!

MT- Love your race comparison!  And pie over crisp any day, I agree!  Good luck tomorrow!

Mitch- Hooray for getting back to 13.1!

redleaf- Glad the weather is improving there!

lph- I always argue with myself about how far I am going when I'm out, or where to turn. Smile  Glad to see you've been able to come back so well in August!

hog4life

Zel, I've done that on several occasions trying to get my mileage for the day. Even if you miss the 10 by a little, it should be okay. Depending on how you run the "race", the run home could be tough, especially if you hang around afterwards and get real stiff.

Zelanie

Well if I need to, I can always catch a ride home after the race.

an amazing likeness

Zelanie -- Just to reflect, your priority is the HM...

Right now, my training priorities are:

1. Build up my mileage base safely and consistently

2. PR my Nov. HM and recover well

I think if you mash both the LR and 5K together into 1 day, you're compromising both...neither will be optimized.  However, it is the LR that will be compromised to the greatest degree....it will be broken into 3 sections (pre-race, race, post-race), each separated by a rest break.

With the HM PR being your primary goal, you may want to reconsider and make that LR the goal for the weekend since it supports the HM, and compromise on the 5K.  If the 5K is on Sat, then run it at tempo effort and come back the LR on Sunday.  If the 5K is on Sunday, the run the LR per plan on Saturday and whatever that does to your time in the 5K happens.

My 2 cents..

I did it, I conquered the hill today, not once, but twice.  I plotted out a coures from the condo that would be almost 10 miles and include the hill that I haven't made yet in my first two attempts.  Today's course put the hill at mile 5 vs mile 10 of the race, but had also plotted out that if I felt I had it in me, to run a half mile loop that would take me to the dreaded hill a 2nd time.  I struggled the 2nd time, had a hard time with the breathing and my sorryful lungs certainly didn't like it, but I did it and managed to make the return back home without stopping.  Legs were a little tired, but I ran 10.5 in exactly a 9 minute pace which is right where I want to be for my race next Sunday.

So my friends, I am as ready as I can be.  Will concentrate this week on eating well, my wife is planning high protien meals all week and good carbs for Saturday.  Will hit my enhaler all week to keep lungs going strong and clear (means I'll have no voice)

This is major for me to do this, it is against DRs advice but screw them as they misdiagnosed everything from the get go.  I'm in charge now and my mind and body are ready to go.

LPH