Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 37 times)

Zelanie

LPH- Congrats on conquering the hill!  You are ready. Smile

MT- Thanks for the advice.  You're right, I was trying to adapt my HM training to the 5K and not the other way around.  My race is on Sunday, so I think I can fit my LR in on Friday after work.  That's the nice thing about my LR not being all that long just yet. Wink

HI All!  Just starting to jump into this group.  Sounds like a lot of interesting stuff going on here.  Lots of positive attitude, I love that.

Ran a 4 miler Labor Day in Acushnet MA - a tradition I have been doing since I started running.  Although it was not by fastest, I was happy to complete it and have no leg pain. (strained my groin muscle in the NB Half in March) It was extremely humid even though it was only 72F.  Started way to fast, but still finished running and encourage a couple of others running.

Next  race is a half at the end of the month - same one as Redleaf- yes we have crazy friends, running a half with the bride the morning of her wedding.  I am hoping to better my time and have no pain.  It won't be a PR, but maybe for this year it will be...I find everytime I increase my speed because I am feeling better, I have some soreness later in the day or the next day.  So I back off and slow down for a few days and seem okay.  Hoping to do a 2:20 but hey it is all for fun anynone.  I only compete with myself and as long as I fiish the race I am happy!

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

5 mile run tonight with 4 x 800's, and 1 x 400, with 400 recoveries. I wanted more but ran out of time, it was a good hard workout for me.

Here's a little update for those that don't know yet. I went to the surgeon yesterday for a consult. He recommended not doing anything except to do another CT scan in 4 months, no surgery needed. I'll follow up with my GI doctor and be treated with meds for the restriction caused from my Crohn's. One year cancer free sure does sound nice, and now I can relax a little.

redleaf

Trying to share a pic from my run the other day:

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Red, beautiful pic.

Good news Hog4life!

Redeaf  love the photo..postcard perfect

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

It is 92F outside today. September....tonight I'm going to log my hottest run of 2013 just another run...in September!  Inconceivable. It's only 6.5mi, but if I don't make it back alive...good luck to all.

mta: Ok, I survived...temps went down after sundown so it was just hot and humid...no drama.

And....Yeah Mitch!  Good news.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

ashleyww

I think I had my best run ever today!  Not my fastest but my best.  I got to run with my friend, for 55 minutes at a nice easy pace in the rain!  It was wonderful.  It started out warm and dry but about 3 minutes in it started to rain, which we knew was a possibility.  It rained for all but the last 5 minutes of the run, just enough time to dry off a bit before heading back inside.  I felt like a little kid out playing in the rain!

On a related note, anyone have any good tips on drying out my shoes?

hog4life

Ashley, I've heard people say to take the insole out, then stuff with newspaper. I usually just take the insole out and put in the laundry room where it's a little warmer. I have also placed the on the floor in front of the refrigerator. I have 3-4 pairs in rotation, so usually have some extra time.

2 mile walk/run with my dog Bella and one of my grandsons.

Hog4, that is fantastic news, now concentrate on some good running and taking care of that PF.  Do you freeze your golf balls first?  You might want to try that, my wife found that soothing in many ways.  Yeah, she had the boot and all of that too.

Redleaf, Great photo and kind of like some of the scenes I'll see during my race on Sunday.

Barbs595, sounds like a lot of fun to go running with the bride the morning of the wedding.  I did the same thing with a groom about 5 years  ago, except he was riding a beach bike and I was running.  He's an avid biker and wanted to get a workout in, so I said I'd get up early with him and run the beach.

MT, Isn't this New England weather crazy.  Run tonight was 80 degrees still and the humidity was over 70%

Ashley, congrats on the "Best" run ever.  That's super that you enjoyed it and enjoyed running wiht a friend.  As for drying those shoes, like Hog4 said, that's why I have more than one pair.

My status, Okay, I'm about as ready as I can be.  Hoping I didn't taper too much this week, I'm one who doesn't enjoy/like tapering.  Ran 4 miles on Tuesday at 9:00 Minute Tempo and went out to run 7M tonight and kept the first 6 right around 9:00, and then kicked a bit to give myself a strong finish.  Here were my mile times 9:10, 8:58,  8:58, 8:54, 8:56, 8:52, 8:31.  Will start fueling up the next two days and go out for an easy 1 1/2M or so on Sat, maybe 2, just to stretch the legs.  Forecast for weather in R.I. Sunday morning is cool but slight wind.  Will get a better idea of the weather on Saturday.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

LPH- Congrats on conquering the hill!  You are ready. Smile

MT- Thanks for the advice.  You're right, I was trying to adapt my HM training to the 5K and not the other way around.  My race is on Sunday, so I think I can fit my LR in on Friday after work.  That's the nice thing about my LR not being all that long just yet. Wink

Thanks, I'm going to kick it in the you know what.

I like your idea for the 5K and incorporating it into your long run for the day.  Good luck and have fun with it.

LPH

Redleaf - LOVE the picture - perfect view for a run.

Zelanie - have a great race this weekend.....you are ready for the 5K - go get it!

LPH - Good luck with your race -  the weather looks perfect!

Barbs - Are you from MA - I am outside of boston - which half are you running?

I am out for this weekend....I knew I was fatigued and the headache, dizzy ugh has just gotten worse.  Mono test is negative (thank god) but I haven't run a step all week - I am disappointed - but there are plenty of halfs to run later this fall.

Ready, go.

an amazing likeness

I am out for this weekend....I knew I was fatigued and the headache, dizzy ugh has just gotten worse.  Mono test is negative (thank god) but I haven't run a step all week - I am disappointed - but there are plenty of halfs to run later this fall.

Bummer Tara, but better to recover than push on out of stubbornness. Like you say, there's plenty of good halfs -- if you think you'll be ready to go in a few weeks, give the Baystate Half (in Lowell, Oct 20) a glance, it's a well run race. If you're ready earlier, there's the Cranberry Harvest half on the Cape.  Later things get thin in Nov and  Dec....but there is a new half this year in Aktinson NH (just over border from Haverhill, I think?) on Dec 14th.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Tara I am from MA. The half is in MI.  Tough break for you not bring able to run this weekend. Better to rest and be healthy.

Zelanie you will do great.

LPH I hope you have a great race. Remember to have fun.

Zelanie - have a great race this weekend.

Barbs - Are you from MA - I am outside of boston - which half are you running?

HF # 1189

Barbs (and all) I will have fun.  I think I've tried to convey to everyone here, what this race means to me, this is not just a race, but a conquering of health issues against DRs advice and against what not only they thought was impossible, but my firends, family and I thought it was impossible.  I am going to be so f---ing excited when I cross that finish line and to do it at 60 years old besides is just icing on the cake.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Larry

LPH