Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 37 times)

hog4life

Barbs (and all) I will have fun.  I think I've tried to convey to everyone here, what this race means to me, this is not just a race, but a conquering of health issues against DRs advice and against what not only they thought was impossible, but my firends, family and I thought it was impossible.  I am going to be so f---ing excited when I cross that finish line and to do it at 60 years old besides is just icing on the cake.

Thanks to everyone for their support.

Larry

Bravo!!

I have a cousin that lives in Haverhille(or is it Haverville? It's N of Boston off the big bypass), and an aunt in Suffield, CT. I need to make another trip up north.

2.75 easy run/walk miles with Bella. Looking for a big LR tomorrow.

Hog4, I work near Suffied and part of the Rails to Trails I run, actaully take me into Suffield.  Come on up and I'll take you for a run and buy you a nice ice cold water or something afterwards.  Emaiol me anytime at lphunter53@yahoo.com

Larry

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Zelanie

Tara- Hope you feel better!

LPH- I am excited for you! Smile

hog4life

Larry, thanks, I will definitely keep you in mind. There are about 6-8 people I would really like to meet when I get back up that way.

Longest run ever today, 18.02.

hog4life

Today seems a bit surreal, I thought that I would be extremely sore, and not able to walk, but my legs feel surprisely good. So good, in fact, that I may try a 2-3 run/walk recovery with Bella, later this afternoon. I did a lot of walking, shopping, running errands, out to eat after yesterday's run, so I think that played a big role in the way I feel today. Active recovery is good, right?

an amazing likeness

18 yesterday and legs feeling good today hog4life -- that to me is a good thing (g), and really shows that you ran your 18 at a good long run pace, no heavy stress.  Also points to your overall fitness carrying through your downtime with PF.

13 for me today, on top of 10 yesterday for "stacked" 23mi training integrated over the two days. Not the same as running 23 steady in one day, but I use a fast finish push at the end of the 10 to start the 13 with some fatigue in the legs. My goal on the 2nd day is to run even splits and not fade. It's an approach that helps training to keeping steady pace as the legs fatigue. Absolutely stunning running weather today...low 60s, slight breeze, brilliant fall sun.

He hasn't posted here, but lph53's (Larry) has his race in his log...well done Larry!  That's got to feel good.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Thanks for checking up on me.  The report is in, read it and tell me I'm the old man!

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

hog4life

This week has been kind of crappy for me, they changed  my work schedule and put me on 12 hour rotating shifts for the next 5-6 weeks or more. Ha, I guess they didn't know I'm in the middle of training for some big runs! I'm hoping to get a LR in on Saturday morning, but me and the Mrs have rented a cabin for the weekend to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We'll see....

Even if I don't, I'll be at 15 miles for the week. Temps are cooling off some here in the South. The New England area looks really nice right now. I've been seeing folks breaking out the light weight winter gear.

Nice tip about stacking for the accumulated fatigue effect, MilkTruck.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

13 for me today, on top of 10 yesterday for "stacked" 23mi training integrated over the two days. Not the same as running 23 steady in one day, but I use a fast finish push at the end of the 10 to start the 13 with some fatigue in the legs. My goal on the 2nd day is to run even splits and not fade. It's an approach that helps training to keeping steady pace as the legs fatigue. Absolutely stunning running weather today...low 60s, slight breeze, brilliant fall sun.

Good stuff! I do something like that too. The last weekend before my half, I do a 9 mi on Saturday and a 6 mi on Sunday so I can do that second run on tired legs. I find it really gives me a mental boost knowing I can run tired.

Petty gripe: the cold that my son gave me that had me dragging yesterday with no energy and lots of sinus pain today has moved on to sinuses no a problem, but someone is standing on my lungs and I'm coughing. I guess I'm taking a couple of days off.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

It has been great running weather in New England. I have had to wear a lite weight long sleeve shirt a couple of early morning runs. Love it.   Happy Anniversary!

This week has been kind of crappy for me, they changed  my work schedule and put me on 12 hour rotating shifts for the next 5-6 weeks or more. Ha, I guess they didn't know I'm in the middle of training for some big runs! I'm hoping to get a LR in on Saturday morning, but me and the Mrs have rented a cabin for the weekend to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary. We'll see....

Even if I don't, I'll be at 15 miles for the week. Temps are cooling off some here in the South. The New England area looks really nice right now. I've been seeing folks breaking out the light weight winter gear.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

I didn't do an 'Intrepid Racers' topic this week because there were only two entries, one was me (10K) and another was a person who hasn't been active in our group for many months, so in case anyone else is racing this weekend but didn't enter it on the calendar -- good luck, run hard!

As others have mentioned, the fall weather has arrived in earnest (yeah!), I went to long sleeve shirts a few evenings. (I run mostly at night)...but the harvest moon has been amazing this week -- there were many nights I could read my Garmin on the darkest roads with no backlight. A mix of easy runs, one set of intervals, one or two uptempo runs and then 10 easy today...so a pretty routine week.

I'm actually feeling in pretty good half marathon shape for the upcoming stretch (2 or 3 in Oct, 2 In Nov), but a worrisome development is that my neck is hurting starting at about 8 or 9 miles into any run, and my hands and right leg start to go numb from nerve impingement. This is an artifact from my fractured neck vertebrae, and I worked through it for a few years after the car hit me, but it hasn't been a problem again until the last couple weeks....it makes me edgy before any sort of longer run.

My goal is to run within 30 secs or so of my 10K PR tomorrow, and think I have the legs to do it. Might even give the PR a run for the money, but rain is predicted and the course is mostly on a dirt / stone trail...so footing might be less than good. But it is a flat, fast course and a fast field....so we'll see what happens.

Zelanie

MT- Good luck tomorrow!  Flat, fast, course, with training that's been going well and cooler temps?  Sounds like a great recipe for a fantastic race!

Me- I plugged the actual course for the race I ran last week into map my run, and it came out as 3 miles even.  With my time, that averages to an 8:08 pace.  So, faster than I've ever run a 5K before, but about 10 sec/mile slower than my goal.  I can definitely tell that stamina is my weak point right now.  Luckily, my goal for my 10K next week is not as aggressive.  That will let me start out fairly conservatively, I think, and pick it up as I go.

Good luck MT. Hope you have a great race and hopefully the rain slows down.

I have had a tough week and have not been able to do much running this week so I pretty safe in saying I won't be PR in my half next week. Just going to have fun and make lots of memories with some wonderful friends. Goal will be to finish.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

an amazing likeness

My goal is to run within 30 secs or so of my 10K PR tomorrow, and think I have the legs to do it. Might even give the PR a run for the money, but rain is predicted and the course is mostly on a dirt / stone trail...so footing might be less than good. But it is a flat, fast course and a fast field....so we'll see what happens.

Woke up this morning, peeked out the window and thought 'Yes!' to seeing it was just grey sky and blustery winds. Threw on running gear and headed out for a jog to loosen up, only to have the sky open up with heavy rain as I went through my first 1/2mi. Oh well...

I ended up posting a 45:52 for the 10K in rain and blustery craptastic conditions, so came within ~10 secs of the day's goal. Parts of the course were *way* more muddy than I would have ever expected for a few miles, then ok for the rest.  [splits: 7:11, 7:33 (shoe untied & mud), 7:41 (mud), 7:21, 7:33, 7:32]  Seemed like 5K effort level today for 1/2 Mar pace.