Half Marathon Trainers

September (Read 37 times)

Zelanie

MT, sounds like you did great considering the conditions!

MT and Zel, good races and so close, certainly not something to be upset over.

Zel, you said Stamina is a problem, so I looked at your log for the mile times 8:19, 8:31, 8:02, ( Assuming they are accurate based on what you said about the course)  Is this typical of your runs, being slower in the middle?  I don't think I would call it a problem with Stamina, especuially since you had such a strong finish.  It's training and pace.  Try more progressive runs, starting slower and picking up the pace a little for every mile.  If you're doing a short run of 5K or so, pick it up every half mile. This might help you for the 10K, although not much time left for training at this point.  Something else I do that might help you, is that I always like to throw a fast mile in somewhere in my run and then pull back a bit.  It teaches my body, to push itself and then to be able to pull it back down, but to recover enough to find the strength and energy to go on.  I'll usually find that the next mile is still a pretty good pace even though I think I'm slowing down a lot.  My run Friday night was like that, take a look at my log for my mile times for a 6 Miler.

MT, sorry you had such crappy weather for your run.  Rain stopped here in CT around dawn and it was a beautiful day for a nice easy run as was Friday night.  Weather is going to be super all week here.

I'm starting my taper for the season, a few more good weeks of running. I accomplished my goal for the year and just going to finish the season off running for fun. Once the clocks change in a couple of weeks, no running for me during the week unless I take a day off.  Need to get myself back into the habit of using the threadmill and exercise bike I have at home.

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

hog4life

MT, nice race!

Celebrated 30 year anniversary at a little cabin, lots of peace and quite(no running). October is a busy month for me, have a 15k Oct 12th, 5k on the 19th, and then my half on the 26th. My planned runs have not been going as planned due to the foot and life stuff, but I'm very confident to make the distances easily, it's just a matter of how well I can push and hold paces.

Zelanie

Thanks for the feedback, lph.  I guess I was able to pick it up in the 3rd mile, and actually I almost always am.  The middle mile of my race was all mental that day.  I couldn't believe running at the pace my watch said felt as difficult as it did, and I wilted.

I usually do my runs as progression runs, mostly by accident, but LRs have been a bit of a struggle lately, maybe because I'm just getting back into them?  Again, I think the problem is with the mind, not the legs.  There's also a pace that's just slower than my usual easy pace that if I slip into during a run, is very hard to get myself back out of.  I get a heavier stride at that pace, too, I think, so it's actually more uncomfortable than running a bit faster.  That's where sticking in a fast mile would probably help a lot.

redleaf

I think I'm learning so much just by reading all these questions and answers.

My goal right now is to survive September. Next Thursday I have laser eye surgery that's freaking me out a little and they recommended no high impact activities for 7-10 days. Which puts me 11 weeks out from the new years double and my best chance at salvaging a decent 2013 running wise.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

Zel, it's been exactly the same for me coming out of this PF rut. None of my "old" paces feel right, and the LR's hurt qiure a bit more than I remember. I'm trying to get in some quicker paced stuff, but I'm not sweating it if I bonk.

Red, is that the LASIK? Like used to correct vision? If so, my wife had I done about 8-9 years ago. She wasn't active at the time, so I can't offer any opinions on taking it easy. I can say though, that being outside during the day is a no-no for a few days.

I have run 5 miles each of the last three days, which is more than I got all last week. Of course I had the 30 year anniversary, so I won't complain, we'll just consider it a cutback week.

Redleaf, glad you're getting something out of all of this.  Remember, none of us claim to be experts, but share on our own personal experiences, trials and tributes.  I think that's what I like so much about this group, no one trys to come off as a know it all and in the end, we're all pretty much in the same boat.

Zel, It's funny, sometimes I feel like I'm running with an extra 25 or so lbs and yet the time is good and somedays I feel like I'm really moving and the improvement in time is not so good.   Never really able to quite figure that out.  Maybe it's like what you said, it's part Mental as well as physical?  I usually say good running comes from Form, Stride and Turnover and never include Mental and I should, because it's such a big part of what we do.

Progressive running for the long runs is a lot harder, but I do it by picking a mile or two somewhere after the mid point, often near the end, where I'll just reach down and look for that extra to pick up the pace.

Hog4, glad you got some miles in, those 12 hour days must be tough. I will assume that you are talking about your 30th Wedding anniversary!  Congratulations, that's a pretty good accomplishment and a Marathon in it's own way.  We are celebrating our 39th this Sat so I've got a few years on you yet.

LPH

hog4life

@Larry, haha, yes you do. Congrats!

I got a little over 7 today.

redleaf

Zel, it's been exactly the same for me coming out of this PF rut. None of my "old" paces feel right, and the LR's hurt qiure a bit more than I remember. I'm trying to get in some quicker paced stuff, but I'm not sweating it if I bonk.

Red, is that the LASIK? Like used to correct vision? If so, my wife had I done about 8-9 years ago. She wasn't active at the time, so I can't offer any opinions on taking it easy. I can say though, that being outside during the day is a no-no for a few days.

I have run 5 miles each of the last three days, which is more than I got all last week. Of course I had the 30 year anniversary, so I won't complain, we'll just consider it a cutback week.

Yea. Next Thursday. I'm a little nervous.  And look at you two with 30 and 39 years married. Makes may 16 look positively paltry

HF #4362

Zelanie

Yea. Next Thursday. I'm a little nervous.  And look at you two with 30 and 39 years married. Makes may 16 look positively paltry

And my 13 years even more so!

Combined, you don't even add up to Hog4.

I stopped at the florist yesterday and ordered a floral arrangement to be sent ot her at work on Friday, hand picking the types and basic colors of what I want in it.  Usually she gets a cheap bouquet from Stop and shop which she loves (she's a simple girl) but decided to do a really nice arrangement that she can show off at work on Friday and then bring down to the Condo Friday afternoon (she loves having fresh flowers there).  We're spending the weekend at the condo in R.I. and doing a nice dinner someplace, rather than going away someplace else.  It is one of the reasons we bought the condo for and we love it so much, why not use it.

So looking at my summary for the month, I need to put in 19 miles in order to hit 100 miles for the month.  Might be a stretch, but I can get three runs in yet (Thurs, Sat, Mon) and can do it without really having to put a long run in although I would like to get a 10 miler in over the weekend.

Did a really great 6.5 last night. It was one of those runs where the weather was perfect and as soon as I had taken a couple of steps said, "I feel Good".  My actual times are still in my Garmin, but rough times are in my log with running the last three in like 8:20, 8:27 and 8:30 (something like that)

Anyone racing this weekend?

LPH

redleaf

Combined, you don't even add up to Hog4.

Anyone racing this weekend?

Well, I am about 20 years behind you to begin with I think Wink

Not sure about "racing" but I am running a half on Saturday morning in MI. Should be lots of fun as we're there for two running friends' wedding. The bride will be running the half with us Smile

HF #4362

With you Redleaf. We are going to have fun. Decideto there will be no PR as training has not been there.

Not sure about "racing" but I am running a half on Saturday morning in MI. Should be lots of fun as we're there for two running friends' wedding. The bride will be running the half with us Smile

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

Good luck Red and Barb, have fun!

Im doing a small 5k on Saturday morning after working all night on Friday. Not the best way to "race", but I want to throw out a good effort and see how I feel. It's usually a small(150ish) race, so I might get lucky with an AG or something.

I posted somewhere that I was hoping to hit 100 miles this month, but really would feel better around 110-115. I'm sitting at 99 and change right now with 4 running days left, so I should hit the latter goal.

buckindb

September is coming to an end! October is right around the corner.  What does this mean to me?  T-2 weeks till my first HM!

Tomorrow morning I'll head out for a 12-mile training run, my last "long" run before tapering for the next couple of weeks!  I'm getting increasingly more excited about my HM.  I've started reviewing race calendars looking for more HM opportunities.

Having just celebrated a birthday, I took the gift cards that I received and purchased a Garmin Forerunner 210.  After a couple of runs I'm looking forward to being more in tune with my pace while I'm running.  One of my goals for 2014 is to improve my 5K time, so I'm hoping that a better sense of my pacing will help.