Half Marathon Trainers

January: New Year, New Start (Read 29 times)

From the Internet.

It was 36 degrees at 5:30 this morning, I almost overdressed because I couldn't believe it was above 20. First workout of HMT in the books - nothing crazy, just getting the legs used to working a little harder again. 6.1 miles total with 3x2min pickups, 2x hill, 4x2min and 1x2:30 pickups.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Back at work today after doing the Goofy this weekend.  Ran the HM with hubby and the marathon solo.

SRD.

Damaris

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

How are you feeling after that challenge? Recovery any harder than what you expected, D? Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I was so sore after yesterday but not as much today.  I raced on Sunday (got my fastest marathon in two years) but the soreness today is not bad.  Weird.

Damaris

emmbee

queen of headlamps

CanadianMeg, I'm north of Salt Lake City, and this time of year we get weather inversions that trap in all of the smog and particulate pollution.  It's really only January when it's bad, but we basically need to wait until there's a storm for the air to clear out, and sometimes that's a couple of weeks.  The rest of year -- minus when there are forest fires in the summer -- the air quality is usually very good.

Today was a rainy treadmill day.  30 minutes followed by deadlifts, abd/add, and bench presses.   This afternoon it snowed and I'm debating whether I want to try an early morning snow run with my ice trekkers.   Talk me into it!  Tell me it will be fun and peaceful and pretty and I won't fall over.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Depending on the day, but running in the snow can be very quiet and peaceful. If it's not windy, it's good for clearing your head.  I don't run with ice trekkers, but some people find them really helpful. I'm mostly on a good mix of packed snow and pavement. It was a dreadmill pair of miles for me today but this Arctic weather is supposed to break tomorrow. I've run outside twice this month -- 01/01 and 01/11 -- because the windchill has been so awful.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

hog4life

5 miles for me this morning. I need to decide if I want to "train" for my April 4 half, or just keep the miles up to complete the distance. Decisions decisions......

Cyberic

Internet has been down at my house since Saturday. It's pretty bizarre living without Internet. Am at work right now. End of the day. A few minutes won't hurt anyone Wink

Saturday and Sunday, especially Sunday, it was so hard to run outside as there was a coat of slush/half melted snow and muck everywhere. I was running much slower than usual, and was more tired when I got home. Not out-of-breath tired, but leg tired.

Yesterday and today, ran on the indoor track.

emmbee

queen of headlamps

40 minutes on a flat, snowy trail today.  I took the ice trekkers because I'm enough of a klutz to slip on wet pavement, let alone snow.  Not sure they were necessary but they were at least a security blanket.

This was my first time running in snow -- challenging!  I'm still nursing this hip/groin injury, which means my stride is a bit shorter and quicker -- not a bad form drill, but I'm not fit at that stride length, and adding snow just meant this was the hardest slow run I've ever done!  So pretty, though, and a good time.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I ran yesterday (4 miles) and they went great.  Pilates and some miles tonight.

emmbee, nice TM and trail runs.

Mitch, good luck with whichever you decide.

Cy, I hate when the Internet goes down. What to do?  Haha.

Damaris

embee - I'm glad your snowy run was pretty.

Damaris is running up a storm as usual...

and Meg - I made it outside for 50 minutes at -10*C on Thursday!, slowly getting used to the weather. The temperatures are still swinging wildly here with some days (hopefully tomorrow) around zero.

This week was a tough one, as a wonderful co worker passed away, part of my "therapy" has been walking with music and of course running.

Exercise this week:

monday - long walk with music

tues - weight training class, wed -spin class, thursday -50 minute run outside, friday - rest

today - 45 minutes on the treadmill (I wasnt up for -16*C and icy streets), then i made a big pot of curry chicken stew

tomorrow - looking warmer and I'm planning on 90 minutes/ 7.5 miles outside

Happy saturday, A

Recalculating...

Cyberic

Ran 90 minutes in -16C weather (not counting the wind) using the new Yaktrax Run my wife bought me. They were perfect for the botanical garden, where they never put sand or salt anywhere, so it's either packed snow or ice. Although not very comfortable to run with, they made my step sure footed.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hi, guys.  Ran 5 yesterday and 10 with hubby this morning.  Training for Paris starts Monday so I'm behaving, sorta.

ayola, nice job on the workouts.

Cy, how much slower are you on the YakTrax?  Just curious.

Damaris

Cyberic

Cy, how much slower are you on the YakTrax?  Just curious.

On ice, I'm actually faster with the Yaktrax because of the good grip. On dry (no snow, no ice) sidewalks, it's just ackward to run with them. It's not that they really slow you down, you slow yourself down because you're running on metal spikes.

I will not wear them 'just in case'. Tomorrow, I'll bring them with me but will run without them to and from the botanical garden, and wear them only inside.

From the Internet.

First week of half marathon training complete! An 8 mile MLR, 11 mile LR, 2 shortish workouts, 2 strength workouts, and a spectacular fall that has left me all scraped up and put a hole in my new Lululemon tights. On to the next week - only 17 more to go!