Half Marathon Trainers

March (Read 43 times)

lsp

Lump Off

I joined this group a while back and never posted; never got around to training for a half.  I think I need to do one this fall so...hello everyone.  Right now I'm just building back my miles after taking the last...half...of last year off.

For motivation, I'm doing 3 5ks in the next couple of months.  The first one is this Saturday.  It should be a painful reality check on my lack of fitness.  After the 5ks, I'll start on some sort of real training and plan to run a half in November.

Cyberic

Hi Bunny, welcome aboard!

hog4life

I joined this group a while back and never posted; never got around to training for a half.  I think I need to do one this fall so...hello everyone.  Right now I'm just building back my miles after taking the last...half...of last year off.

For motivation, I'm doing 3 5ks in the next couple of months.  The first one is this Saturday.  It should be a painful reality check on my lack of fitness.  After the 5ks, I'll start on some sort of real training and plan to run a half in November.

Nice to "see" you again. I hope all is going well for you.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Hey, guys.  Three weeks post surgery and things are going great.  Doctor allowed me to bike and walk by 1.5 weeks and had told me that once I reached 2 mile walks without pain that I could add running.  So, I've been adding running intervals since then until yesterday where I just hopped on the TM and ran one straight mile.  My first workout is next Saturday with 4 miles but I think I'll continue adding longer intervals until I can run then.  I am back!

Great job, NRA, on the race.  I heard it had yucky weather.

Hi, Bunny!

All, great job on your runs.

Damaris

Hi Bunny!

Great new on the recovery D_R - You are so strong I bet your body is recovering more quickly than someone not as fit.

Barb - Thanks for the info on the 10Miler - I am supposed to pace a friend in the Fool's Dual Half in Gloucester that weekend - but she was just diagnosed with bursitis in her hip - so I may be using it as a training run.  How are you feeling about New Bedford?

Zelanie - LOVE those unexpected confidence boosting runs.  Everything goes and flows the way you want it.....I think you are going to kill that 10 miler!

Redleaf  - Do you have a running partner or a running group?  I think it might help provide motivation  - I know many mornings when I would rather sleep - knowing someone is waiting for me gets me out of bed and on the roads....especially in the winter time as I am a cold weather wimp.

Hog- I will have to take a look at that plan for my next half....I usually cobble together my own plan using workouts from different programs (Pfitz, Daniels, etc...)

Me - So the big news is that our pediatrician offered me a legit comp number to run Boston - and of course I said yes.  So now I have 45 days to prepare.  Revamping my whole plan and hoping to get in enough miles to be able to finish - - I haven't run a marathon in over 20 years.....and I only ran the one.  So I will attempt to ramp up my long runs and try to keep everything in perspective.  I was planning on a marathon this year - and I will run another properly trained - but it was too good to pass up a number to Boston.

Ready, go.

Welcome Bunny!

Docket - so glad you are doing so well.

Red - one foot in front of the other..just have fun..you will get it back!

Tara - Feeling better about NB - a little jittery, but that is normal.  Hoping for decent weather.  My plan is to try to stay at the back and startslow and build up.  Hopefully I can keep slow the first half so I can tear it up the second half.  Not sure how it will all play out with the low HR training..My goal is to finish unijured first, and hopefully a better time second.  The low HR training has me enjoying running in a different way.  Hard to describe.  I have always been a balls to the wall - which is slow compared to all of you, and never trained this way so it is definetely a learning experience and a "work in progress".  To bad about your friend, but glad you will still do it  - Fab about Boston - what an opportunity.  I say go with it and have fun!

Getting my last long run tomorrow in what is supposed to be nice 45 degree weather in New Enlgand.  Where we should be at this time of the year.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

lsp

Lump Off

Thanks for the hellos all.

Mitch!!  Hey - good to see you as well.  It's good to be back to running and I hope I can keep control of my allergies this year.

tarac - An entry for Boston?  That just sounds great, well, except for the short prep time.   

I just finished a super easy 3 miles and then I have a 5k tomorrow.  I have idea what pace to run since I've been on break for a few months; the devilish part of me is thinking 'run the 1st mile as hard as you can and then blow up'.

redleaf

Hello superbunny!

TaraC - that's awesome. Good luck and enjoy the experience in Boston

And no, I usually run alone. I am very slow and most of my friends are much much faster. So much so that they occasionally join me for what are MY tempo runs and to them are long slow runs. lol

So the couple of times I've gone out with a group I don't know I've felt like I'm holding someone back.

But really I know it's just me and I'm making myself snap out of it! I already told DH he's on toddler duty in the morning tomorrow before our other obligations so I can go run.

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

Cyberic

Tara, I didn’t know there were such entries for Boston. Good Luck!

Today was my seventh and last consecutive day of a big mileage week, everything being relative, of course. I took the week off work to stay home with the kids. But each morning I left DW and the kids for a run.

So, 7 days later, I ran 99 km (60 miles-ish). My base was around 50 km. So I doubled the volume just for this one week. Not so smart a move from what I hear. But a little leg soreness aside, I’m still healthy. It’s a good confidence builder because I now *know* that my body can handle it ok.

I realize how time consuming it is to run that much. That is one single week at 60 miles. For a lot of people on this forum, that’s below their base volume. And in a marathon training cycle they go way above that.

Welcome super bunny and welcome back Damaris!

March check in!  I'm taking a rest week this week, stepping back to an 8 miler tomorrow and just a long walk today. Overall 17 miles and some cross training. Last week I ran my first 27 mile week for about 2 years And boy was I tired. Getting comfortable with mileage between 25-30 (or more) is a goal I have for this year. Also did a one mile TT  at 9:20, wasn't easy but  I could have gone faster. Working my way towards an < 8:50 mile by May which correlates to a 2:20 HM according to McMillan. Trying for 2:20 in the fall. My spring HM is hilly.

i've got that same Ryan Hall step down work out  to do on Tuesday, not as fast! Getting through it will be a confidence booster.

Happy Saturday, A

Recalculating...

an amazing likeness

March? Time marches on...apologies to all for my not being around much -- lots of good news here to celebrate with Docket sounding upbeat and on the mend. And sounds like Hog4Life is back in the groove which is grrreat to hear.

I've been focusing on steady base miles and working through some hip pain that is holding me back...time to get this sorted out because it's getting annoying and limiting my training.

I, for one, am a huge fan of the early change to the clocks tonight, it means my daily runs will at least start with some dusk still in the sky..it's been a long winter of dark and cold runs, they're getting old.

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  I did 4 miles yesterday and although slow, they felt great.  More running tomorrow but today it's bike day.

TaraC, that is great news about Boston.  Hope you have tons of fun!

Barbs, hope your LR went well.

Superbunny, nice 3 yesterday.  Good luck with the 5K.

redleaf, I also like to run alone.  Enjoy the run.

Cyberic, awesome miles.

ayola, great cutback week.

milktruck, sounds like a good plan.

Damaris

lsp

Lump Off

Morning all.  I had a decent 5k on Saturday; well, better than I thought.  I'm going to start training for a May 10k starting - today.  I'm using a Pfitz plan from Road Racing for Serious Runners so the plan is to be serious.

Mitch - you doing Cotton Row this year?  That is the 10k I'm planning for.  I'm going to do lots and lots of hills and I will run up that darn hill in the race.

DR - running 3 weeks post surgery?  That is pretty darn good.  I had some major-ish surgery a couple years ago and was out for 12 weeks.  It was total boredem.

MT - great to hear from you.  I was getting worried.. I hope you get the hip thing worked out soon

DR - great on the 4 mile run - you are recovery superbly!

Superbunny - glad you had a great race.  I love when that happens.

Cyber - Wow - great mileage!

I got outside on a beautiful sunny 45 degree morning Saturday and had a horrible long run(probably not as bad as I think, I just disappointed in myself).  Was planning on 10 miles and gave up at 7 miles.  I can't even pinpoint the problem.  Just wasn't feeling it, my heart rate was all over the place. I kept stoppin got walk (something I have a hard time doing, but am trying)  I figured rather than keep stressing out I should just finish up to my house and call it a day, after all 7 is better than none  JUST MEANS I AM GOING TO HAVE A GREAT RACE!.  I wanted to really get in a great 10-11 miles since the half is this weekend, but oh well.  I know I can do it, but sometimes my head just gets in the way.  Got just under 5 in on the DM this morning.  I can't wait for spring and lighter morngings so I can run outside early.

Run, Walk, Crawl, just Finish.

HF # 1189

hog4life

A, nice miles, keep the hard work going and you'll get that 8:50!

MT, sorry about the hip, hope it gets better soon.

SB, Yes I'm doing Cotton Row, both of them(10k + 5K)! Not sure what the heck I was thinking . We definitely need to visit again and meet up when you are here. Did you get moved okay? I'm wanting to do the 4 Bridges Half in Oct, but haven't signed up yet.

Docket, I was back running after 2.5-3 weeks of my surgery too. Just be careful, it took me about 2-3 months to feel okay with running a little faster.

Barb, I struggle with the mental demons too! Good luck with your half this weekend.

I had a good workout this morning of 9.5 miles total with 6x1200's starting at mile 2. I used 1/4 mile recoveries at 9:30-10:00, so the mile splits were coming in at 8:18, 8:20, 8:33, 8:35, 8:51, 8:35. I will probably be looking to target 8:25-8:30 for the April half. I just hope that Whiskey Hill don't hurt me too bad like last year.