Half Marathon Trainers

November, Already? (Read 32 times)

Cyberic

Wow lph53, that is very nice! I bet you're grinning from ear to ear Smile

This morning I was going to run my usual route up mount Royal. When I was nearing the path I saw this woman entering, maybe 15-20 seconds before me. As I was running up, I figured I'd pass her in around 1 km judging from the distance I was gaining on her. When I got near her, she accelerated to stay ahead of me. I didn't mind as I was training, not racing. But when there's someone in front of me, I have a tendency to try to pass that person. So every now and then I'd come besides her and everytime she'd accelerate to stay ahead of me. I found that very amusing and was grinning openly. She never acknowledged my presence by looking at me. She kept staring ahead as if I didn't exist, earbuds in place. But she knew I was there because there was no passing her. So near the top of the moutain I pulled up beside her and started talking before she had a chance to leave me behind. I asked her if she ran marathons. She answered a short "No". Didn't say anything else. So I pressed her: "What distance do you run then?". She answered she didn't run, she wasn't a runner. So I asked what sport she practiced, and she said she biked. I told her: "Well you are the competitive sort, that's for sure".  And then she finally smiled back at me and said she bikes with men. So after a two minutes chat I said bye and let her take the lead again. I stopped pressing her and she slowed the pace a little. That had me grinning again. Going down the mountain I once or twice pulled beside her, to be left biting her dust every time.

It was a very amusing run. I'm used to running by myself and today I figured that if I had a training partner with a fitness level similar to mine, we could push each other and have fun doing it.

hog4life

Cyber, that was funny.

19.3 miles for the day with a 13.1 half in the middle.

Cyberic

Hog4life, I admire you marathon trainers. You race a half-M and then run a few extra miles just for the record. I was completely wasted after my half. I could not have run anymore that day.

hog4life

Cyber, thanks, but I am a big n00b when it comes to the 26.2 distance. The guy that won the half finished in 1:06 for a state record in AG, I think, he run 164 miles this week, and said he had a 24 mile LR on tap for the day after the half. Now that's insane! Second place finisher was in a 1:15, not even close.

NRA, how long you been in the Searcy area? I grew up in Blytheville, my wife is from Magnolia.

No running today.

Hog4life, I was born in Searcy and have been back here since 1982.  It was a good town to grow up in, so my wife and I decided to stay here and raise our kids.

I wondered if you had ties to Arkansas and thought you might be a Razorback fan when I first saw your name.  Either that or you were a Harley man or pig farmer.

Zelanie

Cyberic- Funny story!  There are a few people I know in my running club who are about my pace.  When we run together, we all tend to run just a little bit faster than we do when we run alone. Smile

Mitch- Sounds like a great day!  Hoping to get a chance to read your RRs later on.

Well I am doing a bit of a happy dance right now.  I did my last real "workout" before my HM today.  I probably erred on the side of making it too easy since I am making it up myself.  This one was sort of a Hudson mashup.  It was 6 min @ 5K pace, 3 min. recovery, then 2 x 1.5 miles at HMP/10K pace somewhere with 4 min recoveries.  If I'd have been thinking, I'd have done the faster interval last to make it more challenging.

But the good news is that the whole workout felt easy.  I had no trouble holding 7:54 pace for the 6 minutes, then did the first "HMP" interval at 8:32.  Felt easy.  So for my second interval, I ran it as a progression, and ended up with an average pace of 8:14 for that interval. Smile  The 8:32 pace felt like it could be my HMP, so that is very exciting for me.  I still won't start at that pace, but if things are feeling good on race day, I might just try to get there after the first couple of miles. Smile

Sorry for the private log, BTW.  I am playing in a mileage game that's based out of Runners' World online, and our team is competing against another team for mileage.  So logs are set to private to discourage snooping. Shocked

hog4life

Well, I haven't run since the half. The PF in my foot is still a little mad at me for running 19.3 miles. I have a little weekend getaway planned, so I'm not sure I'll do anything for a few more days. There is a 7 mile trail prediction run near the area I'm going, that looks very interesting. If my foot feels a little better by then, I might run it for the heck of it, the race fyler makes it sound like a good time.

Trying to get a few quality weeks in before possibly attempting a Dec 8th half.  I won't run it in a blizzard - but if the weather is decent I am hoping it will be a good opportunity to fit another race into the calendar year.

This will only be my 3rd half....and I really enjoy the distance...I hope to hit a full marathon next fall - but will try and get a new PR in the next 10 months or so.

Ready, go.

redleaf

rough week at work but hanging in there Smile

Glad to see everyone. Mitch hope the rest helps!

First or last...it's the same finish line

HF #4362

hog4life

5 days of no running. Work has taken a little change for the worse(depends how you look at it), I thought I was going back to 8 hour shifts, but instead, we are going to 6 days per week, and with me working 12 hour shifts because we're short handed, that's 72 hour weeks. They are saying through the end of the year.

On a brighter note, my foot is getting better. We are leaving in the morning for a little weekend getaway for R&R, Xmas shopping, hot tub and beer. I'm taking some running gear, maybe I'll get to run.

an amazing likeness

rough week at work but hanging in there Smile

From the news...you're not the only person in Toronto having a rough time at work.  Wink

Acceptable at a dance, invaluable in a shipwreck.

Zel, sounds like an agresssive workout just beofre a race, but that doesn't mean it was a bad one, so let's hear out you did.

Cyberic- Funny story!  There are a few people I know in my running club who are about my pace.  When we run together, we all tend to run just a little bit faster than we do when we run alone. Smile

Mitch- Sounds like a great day!  Hoping to get a chance to read your RRs later on.

Well I am doing a bit of a happy dance right now.  I did my last real "workout" before my HM today.  I probably erred on the side of making it too easy since I am making it up myself.  This one was sort of a Hudson mashup.  It was 6 min @ 5K pace, 3 min. recovery, then 2 x 1.5 miles at HMP/10K pace somewhere with 4 min recoveries.  If I'd have been thinking, I'd have done the faster interval last to make it more challenging.

But the good news is that the whole workout felt easy.  I had no trouble holding 7:54 pace for the 6 minutes, then did the first "HMP" interval at 8:32.  Felt easy.  So for my second interval, I ran it as a progression, and ended up with an average pace of 8:14 for that interval. Smile  The 8:32 pace felt like it could be my HMP, so that is very exciting for me.  I still won't start at that pace, but if things are feeling good on race day, I might just try to get there after the first couple of miles. Smile

Sorry for the private log, BTW.  I am playing in a mileage game that's based out of Runners' World online, and our team is competing against another team for mileage.  So logs are set to private to discourage snooping. Shocked

LPH

"Today I broke my record for most consecutive days lived!"

Zelanie

Hah, not that close to my race, I have another week still.  Smile

From the news...you're not the only person in Toronto having a rough time at work.  Wink

Isn't that true!

Sorry I have not posted in a while- I really have not run in 3 months and did not feel I had anything to contribute. But, as you can see, I do snoop around every now and then and try to keep up with events.

I have had a pulled muscle in my back recently, from lifting the back of a lawn tractor while putting it away for winter. You would think I would know better! Anyway that is mostly healed up, and I plan to start rebuilding my fitness and running base,  and  possibly doing a 5k and a half in the spring.

Congratulations to you all for keeping up the good work, and especially to the racers, some good results and really good causes.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

hog4life

Simon, nice to see you back. Sorry to hear you've been having some back issues, And I hope you can progress safely.

The weekend getaway was great, finished all the Xmas shopping, did a dinner/show, plenty of R&R in the hot tub. After 7 days of no running, my foot is no better, yet no worse either. So I've decided to proceed with caution. If my foot starts acting up, I'll shut it down. I did 10.15 miles on Sunday morning from the cabin, then took Monday off for the commute home.

I got another 9.4 mile run this morning. I think my marathon is about to be derailed! My work schedule has changed, again, and I will be working 12 hour shifts, 6 days per week. It will be very difficult to get my runs in, but I plan to do the best I can. I will not be opposed to a DNS or even a DNF if it comes down to it. I have a lot of people think that I'll be okay, but we'll just have to wait and see.