Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - March '08 (Read 627 times)

Prince of Fatness

Tempo run this evening. 2.2 miles warmup 4.1 miles @ 7:40 2.2 miles cooldown I am looking to up the tempo miles up to around 6 over the next couple of weeks.

Not at it at all. 

Ringmaster

Wow. I couldn't run a single mile at 7.40. Way to go, Mr. PH! Wbertha, I don't know anything about running indoors like that. Wonder if it would be a step up from the ole' treadmill, where my pace always seems dreadfully slow, even when I'm working really hard and calling it a tempo run. 10kms every day this week but Tuesday. Running with a brace to help the knee somewhat. Nice today in S Florida--67 when I went out for my run! K

Let us run with perseverance the race marked out for us. (Heb. 12:1b)
      Mile by Mile

I haven't posted for a bit...but did longest run of my life today....8miles. The last 1 1/2 was sheer HE**, running into a heavy wind and tired. I tried reciting a cadence in my head H...T...F...U... Smile. Felt great when it was over though. Quite an accomplishment for a 48 yr old woman who never ran until 2 years ago. So I'm thinking "I can DO this" HM in June. Weather was gorgeous-57-sunny. Good luck to those of you running Shamrock Shuffle and Jason you will do great in your next HM. MrPHinNJ: your warmup and cooldowns are probably my race pace, lol. VixiDu: I can't imagine running a 10K more than once every 2 weeks!! Happy running to you all.
        Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
        Teresadfp

One day at a time

Hooray, Marsha! You're exactly where I am - I did my first 8-mile run last week! Quite a feeling, isn't it? It wasn't easy for me, either. The next day, I barely made it 3 miles, and it was even harder than the 8-mile run! Yesterday, though, I ran 8.2 miles and it was a LITTLE easier, and my 4-mile run today was not bad at all. We can do this!! Teresa

Prince of Fatness

6 easy this evening.
            I haven't posted for a bit...but did longest run of my life today....8miles. The last 1 1/2 was sheer HE**, running into a heavy wind and tired.
            Good job on the 8 miler. Believe me, if you get consistent with these runs they will get easier. And now that I am not the first to mention it, I can't remember a run in the last 3 weeks or so where it wasn't windy. If I had to choose what weather I don't like to run in the most I think I would pick wind. January and February were better than March has been so far.

Not at it at all. 

Prince of Fatness

14.5 today, giving me 41 for the week.

Not at it at all. 

ohanapecosh

Great job on the 8 milers! Good milestone. 9 miles for me on Saturday, making 28 mi for the week. It was a reasonably good week. Next week is supposed to be a 12 miler, so I'm trying to be positive about that. The half is less than a month away at this point.
                Teresadfp

One day at a time

Great job on the 8 milers! Good milestone. 9 miles for me on Saturday, making 28 mi for the week. It was a reasonably good week. Next week is supposed to be a 12 miler, so I'm trying to be positive about that. The half is less than a month away at this point.
                  Do you guys think following the rule that says your long run should be no more than a third of your total weekly mileage is important? I'm getting to the point where it will be difficult to do that, so I'm curious. Thanks! Teresa

Me and the boys

hi all. just joined the group tonight! Been on RA for about a month now. Got an email this weekend about a local HM on 5/3, and DH and I decided to go for it! Its a running/walking one, which kinda was a deciding factor. I am not as concerned with running the whole thing, so much as finishing. I did a 10 mile race in 9/06, and dont doubt I can. Anyway, i modified a HM training schedule for the rest of the 7 week countdown. Tonight was 3 miles, which I did. Thanks for letting me put in my update! Cant wait to keep on, keepin' on!
                    -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
                      Alright Misty go for it!!! Teresa I don't put much into the 1/3 rule (I think more like someone's suggestion). I've been running 18 years and have trained with about 30 different runners, several have regularly violated that rule without any problems. The long run is the most important on your schedule. Sure it would be nice to do a medium long mid-week run, which probably keep you from violating the 1/3 rule but it's not nearly as important as the weekly long run. My advice would be to increase 1 mile everyother week then drop 2 miles the other week. For example Sat. 9 miles next Sat. 7 next 10 then back to 8 miles. The long run will get you to the finishline everything else will help get you there a little faster. Try to schedule a day off after you've increased your long run. I'm currently training my wife for her 2nd half and my 14th. We ran 13.2 yesterday, 5 on Sat. and she ran 3 Tues. & Thurs. last week. She also walks 4 miles on Wed. Even with the walking she way over the 1/3 mark. Yesterday's run was her longest run ever, but she feels great today. Good running, keep up the good work ladies Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Prince of Fatness

6 miles today. I agree with Sarge on the 1/3 rule. I've used the "two steps forward, one step back" approach in the past with success, not only for the long run, but also when increasing total weekly mileage.

Not at it at all. 

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Thanks for your thoughts, guys! That makes sense and is very helpful. That's neat you're running the HM with your wife, Sarge! I'll have to get DH on the ball... It's funny, he's always been the "athletic" one (he's a good bicyclist), but he just shakes his head when I tell him I'm running more than 8 miles!

Me and the boys

did 4M yesterday, and 7M today. felt really good. 6 weeks 4 days until the HM! wahoo! oh wait, i still have to get registered. lol oh, wanted to ask though, after the run and cool down, my upper body and face was covered, in what i assume was salt? Dried sweat? Is that bad? Am I missing something? I did training and a 10 mile race 2 years ago, but I dont remember this happening. thanks!
                            -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
                              I think having salt left on your face is normal after a longer or higher effort run, Misty. If you stand at the finish of a marathon you will see runners with faces encrusted with white salts, not all of them, it seems to affect some more than others. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

jules2

akborn714, being female you will never have the pleasure of finishing a run with ice on your beard it makes you look dead hard.

Old age is when you move from illegal to prescribed drugs.