Half Marathon Trainers

half marathon trainers - March '08 (Read 627 times)

Me and the boys

Well, for me it comes down to, "Am I going to run this HM or not?" If so, I have to keep increasing my long runs on a regular schedule. And if it's 38 degrees with 25-mph wind, I'm not strong enough yet to do that outdoors. So I made it 8.6 miles on a TM Saturday. It did seem endless, but I did it! I'm just hoping I'm about done with that for the winter. I'm not sure I could do 13.1 miles on a TM!
    Yep, same for me. If I am gonna run, its got to be on the TM. If I wait for the timing to be right, I would only get in 1-2 runs a week. Teresa, I have done 7 on the TM so far. You made it 8.6?! Good for you! I have a 9M planned for next week, I think.
    I've been complimented here for my dedication, and it is appreciated, but you folks running all those miles on the TM are the real dedicated ones. I'm not sure I could do that.
    MrPHinNJ-Your weekly mileage is amazing! You are my new hero! The TM isnt too bad, like Teresa said, its that or nothing. I have the TV, ear phones and fan all going. Plus I throw a towel over the screen, so I am not constantly watching the lap tracker. It helps when there is a good show on (or 3), or a good action packed movie, to keep my interest. Wbertha-this is my first HM. I did a 10M race, but that was 2 years ago, before my last baby. The course is an out an back on a river side bike/running trail in Sacramento. I was supposed to do 5M tonight, but got hung up late at a clients office, and didnt get home until a bit ago. I have a ton more work tonight, so I will do the run tomorrow, which was supposed to be my rest day any way, so I am switching the two.
    -Misty "I would rather try and die, than live and wonder."
    mattw1970

Injured

I agree with MrPH! I admire those of you who can bang out all the miles on the 'Dreadmill' . I hate it but I deal with it during the week because of my work schedule. Give me outside running in just about any weather condions ( barringa heavy downpour or icy conditions) and I will run outside every chance I get!
      INJURED
      mattw1970

Injured

Sorry, Matt. My territorry includes very few hills. I'm sure someone will come along to help you strategize for your race. Ran a 5K Sat. I laughed b/c other runners said the course was "hilly" and I knew some of you would laugh at the gentle inclines they were calling hills--nothing more than the gentlest slopes. Didn't PR, but I was running on the back end of an upper respiratory infection so I shouldn't have expected my best time. Still, I was pleased with myself--ran what I felt was a consistent, easy pace. Got passed a lot in the early going but passed plenty of those people back before we were even to the turnaround. It was such a small race that even my non-PR finish of 27:04 allowed me to place in my age group--yay!
        Yes its so funny how everyone's definition of hills and a hilly course truly varies. Ive raced on some 'supposedly' flat and fast courses that had alot of hills and ive been on some courses that were advertised as hilly that were pretty flat to me. go figure. Just be careful if you see a course description that says 'generally flat with pleasantly rolling terrain' THIS MEANS VERY HILLY Tongue congrats on placing in your age group by the way! an age group placing is an age group placing. You can't control who shows up. Ive ran some of my worst times and I was still in the top 3 in my age group and ive been in races with the same amount of runners and I wasnt even top 5 in my age group with much faster times!! The worst was when I placed 4th in a race and didnt even get any recognition. the top male and female got awards, and the top male and female in each 10 year age group. 3rd place was in my age group Roll eyes
        INJURED
          I agree with MrPH! I admire those of you who can bang out all the miles on the 'Dreadmill' . I hate it but I deal with it during the week because of my work schedule. Give me outside running in just about any weather condions ( barringa heavy downpour or icy conditions) and I will run outside every chance I get!
          Matt - I'm with you - dreadmills KILL me! I've literally run in 5 degree weather, come home soaked, icicled and everything else...but I'll do anything to avoid the dread! lisak PS - anyone doing the Flying Pig in Cinci?
          Cincinnati Flying Pig May 4
          wbertha

Wendy, a Sacramento half marathon...sounds wonderful...warm and sunny. Outside my window right now, the snow is once again falling. I am not sure that spring will ever come to the Midwest. Vix, your byline is one of my favorite bible quotes...to run and not get weary. Actually, I kind of felt a little like that tonight. I did 4 miles on Monday and then 5 last night. Tonight was supposed to be 4 easy miles. Again I split it up between the track and treadmill but it felt okay tonight as opposed to usually feeling really hard on the third straight night of running. My pace was about 15 seconds per mile faster than I am hoping to do in my half marathon. Tomorrow is a rest day for me and my LSD is scheduled for Saturday. I am hopeful that I will be able to get outside as I really doubt that I could do 8 to 9 miles on the treadmill and retain even the minimal amount of sanity that I still have. wbertha
              Hello all, I have'nt posted for awhile. DD was home on spring break, busy at work, Easter, yada, yada, yada but my running partner and I did our 2nd 8 mile run yesterday (1:25:25) and took 6 mins off our first 8 miler with definite negative split. And today don't feel any worse for wear, got in 3 miles after work. Starting to think I'll make my goal for HM < 2:30:00. spring is here...have been able to get the long runs outside. so far,the longest i've gone on the dreadmill has been 5 miles. my membership expires next week, so outside it is for me for the duration of training till hm in june. we had considered running a 5k race in the morning, but have decided to wait till a little later in the day (for it to warm up a little) then going for maybe 6. happy running to all!! 2:30:00.="" spring="" is="" here...have="" been="" able="" to="" get="" the="" long="" runs="" outside.="" so="" far,the="" longest="" i've="" gone="" on="" the="" dreadmill="" has="" been="" 5="" miles.="" my="" membership="" expires="" next="" week,="" so="" outside="" it="" is="" for="" me="" for="" the="" duration="" of="" training="" till="" hm="" in="" june.="" we="" had="" considered="" running="" a="" 5k="" race="" in="" the="" morning,="" but="" have="" decided="" to="" wait="" till="" a="" little="" later="" in="" the="" day="" (for="" it="" to="" warm="" up="" a="" little)="" then="" going="" for="" maybe="" 6.="" happy="" running="" to=""></ 2:30:00. spring is here...have been able to get the long runs outside. so far,the longest i've gone on the dreadmill has been 5 miles. my membership expires next week, so outside it is for me for the duration of training till hm in june. we had considered running a 5k race in the morning, but have decided to wait till a little later in the day (for it to warm up a little) then going for maybe 6. happy running to all!!>
              Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                I had a nice 12 miler this beautiful morning Smile Right on my goal of 10:20 pace out and 9:40 coming back. Now all I got to do on race (5 weeks away, yes Lisak it's the Flying Pig) is pick up pace 1 minute per mile. Shocked Sometimes it's a little depressing when I think about 10-12 years ago I could run 1:52 half as a training workout and race it in 1:40. Don't get me wrong I love running more than ever. Aging sux, I guess that's why I work so hard against it. Smile Everyone keep up the hard work! Smile Smile Smile

Courage ! Do one brave thing today...then run like hell.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

I ran 4 miles this afternoon with my daughter, on a tiny indoor track (19 laps = 1 mile). She's only 9, but she wanted to try for a distance PR. She's faster than I am, but she ran right next to me. It was so much fun! She would count off each lap as we finished it. She had no problem completing the 76 laps - she said her effort was a 6 out of 10. I'm on cloud nine! Cool
                    I ran 4 miles this afternoon with my daughter, on a tiny indoor track (19 laps = 1 mile). She's only 9, but she wanted to try for a distance PR. She's faster than I am, but she ran right next to me. It was so much fun! She would count off each lap as we finished it. She had no problem completing the 76 laps - she said her effort was a 6 out of 10. I'm on cloud nine! Cool
                    Teresa, that is so awesome!! My daughter is 23 and she's the one who started me running 3 yrs ago. I love that it's something we have in common. She just went back to college after spring/Easter break and I already miss her. She wants to run the HM with me in June but college classes keep her pretty busy. She tells everyone when I run one of my long runs. She's never run the long distances I have run, so she tells me how proud she is!! Ran 6.3 today in cool sunshine for 22 this week. Good job! to all of us HM trainers!!
                    Goals:HM <2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner. htfu="" encourage="" my="" dh="" to="" get="" out="" of="" his=""></2:30:00 htfu encourage my dh to get out of his recliner.>
                    wbertha

Got to run outside today...it was 33 degrees but with a cold wind. Hey, I will take almost anything I am so tired of the treadmill. Did my longest run of 2008 made it 9 miles. However, I did stop twice...had bathroom issues. But I did the mileage and although my legs feel rather tired tonight, I am not at all sore. Realized that I really, really need to work on my endurance. 9 miles is good but I could not have done 4.1 more miles this morning. Tomorrow, I am going to try to get in a short (3 or 4) mile easy run. Hope to get outside if the thunderstorms hold off. Otherwise,4 on the treadmill really is not too bad. If I get in 4 tomorrow, I will have 26 for the week which is pretty good for me. Need to build up my weekly mileage a bit more in the next (yikes...only) seven weeks. Good luck to those of you who are "flying pigs". Please give us a race report. I would like to do their half marathon someday just because it really sounds like a fun and well run race. wbertha
                        Sounds like fun, Teresa. My daughter is 37 years old, and lives in Zimbabwe, so we don't run together! Mt son went over to visit and they did a lot of cycling, she was ranked 4th. in the country at one time (road racer.) They would ride 30-60 miles per day, they got to know each other better through the talks they had while cycling. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Got my last run of the month in today, 25.01 kms or 15,6 miles. Nice and easy but legs very tired at the end. A poor month, only ran 9 times for a total of 72 miles, 113kms. Total ytd 392 kms, or 245 miles. Simon.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Teresadfp

One day at a time

Marsha, that's neat you have running in common with your daughter! Will she be at home this summer? Simon, your daughter sounds amazing! Aren't these girls great?? I wish I had started training in some sport when I was young! Better late than never, I suppose. I ran 5.1 miles this afternoon, in 55:17. Warmer today - 42! I didn't even wear gloves. Still kept a hat on, though, because it was breezy. Some guys in a car yelled something at me, but I couldn't hear them, fortunately. Tongue
                            wbertha

Simon, today was also my last run for the month. Did 4 miles at the gym and ended the month with 103 miles. For me this is a good month. Anytime I get to three digits, I figure it was a good month. Tomorrow is a rest day for me. Then DH and I headed off to the outlet mall. Ended up with 2 new pairs of jeans which I really needed and 3 short sleeved tops (just in case it ever gets to be summer around here). Theresa, my daughter is grown and living in a different city about an hour away. However, we do the Komen 5K run together every year. We already have the date marked on our calendars for this May. It will be our fourth time doing it together. And even though she runs much faster than I do...on this one day, we run together. We plan to continue to do this annually even if it gets to the point that she has to push me around the course in a wheelchair. lol One cannot underestimate the good that mother/daughter time does for both people. wbertha

Prince of Fatness

15 miles today, giving me just under 43 for the week. Looks like everyone is getting some good runs in.

Not at it at all.