A Mile A Day

Final Total - 5,928 days (Read 9 times)

jeffdonahue

So the streak ended this weekend.  

Before I start what is inevitably going to be a long post I want to thank everyone in this group for all the support, cheers and for just being a great group of people who understood what streaking is and what it meant to me.  It was a hell of a journey and there were times I don't think it would have gone on as long as it did if it weren't for the encouragement and advice I got from this group.  So to all of you that have been on this trek with me, for no matter how long, Thank you.

My surgery went great on Friday according to the doctor.  There was nothing surprising in there and they were able to just go in and cut/scrape out the loose bits and clean it up.  They put an ace bandage on it and I have some leg compression sleeves to keep on both legs for the next week to help avoid blood clots.

I had run on Friday prior to the surgery - the surgery wasn't until 1:30 so that wasn't an issue.  After surgery I just went home and laid on the couch watching TV and reading for the rest of the day.  But I didn't really need crutches.  I could walk to the bathroom or kitchen when needed and I tried to get up every hour or so to keep the leg moving and get some blood flow to the leg.  Overall I was pretty happy with how it felt.

Saturday, we had my SIL in from Arizona all day so it was a long day for me.  I had wanted to just relax so if my leg felt okay I could just maybe squeak in a slow mile on the treadmill (it was pouring out so I couldn't run outside because I couldn't get the bandage and knee wet).  But they absolutely refused to leave, so I was just laying on the couch all day while they visited.  Once they finally did leave I was torn because by that point my knee was a little achy.  But mentally I was not ready to let go so at 10:00 PM I went upstairs, set the treadmill to 4 mph (15 min mile) and ran a slow mile.

That was a mistake.  My knee hurt most of the night as I tossed and turned and was really achy all day Sunday.  At that point I knew two things.

1.)  I could keep the streak going if I wanted because I have a pretty high pain tolerance.

2.)  I was not going to do that.

Mentally I knew that ending it was the right thing to do for my health, my knee and for my long term running.

So, Sunday I hung out with my eldest daughter all day (she came by to keep me company - she's so sweet) and then my brother stopped by for a bit.  Once they left I watched some soccer and just went to bed.  My wife stayed downstairs for a while after I went upstairs, I think because she wasn't sure if was going to try to run again.

But I let it go.  It was hard, but now I can heal and I can find my next goal.  My brother put some perspective on it.  He said, for 16 years you've been "That guy" (the running streak guy).  Now you can go find something else and become "That guy."  I just need to go find that next thing once I heal up.

All that being said, I do not think I will be starting another streak.  I am too competitive with myself and if I started another one I would feel obligated to myself to beat the old one - which would not be until I turned something like 69 years old.  I do still believe that one mile runs on some rest days are good to help recovery but I will be taking days off going forward and really working to help my running continue but with more focus on staying injury free.

If you read down this far - thanks, it was long, but hell it was a long streak.

Best of luck to all of you on your running streaks and journeys.  It has been a pleasure.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Well done, Jeff! It sounds like you are at peace with how your streak has ended. Good luck with your recovery! Smile

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ojo

We will always be in awe of your streak!  Congratulations!  I know how hard it was for it to end, but our health is far more important.  Whether you start a new one or not, this will forever be a huge accomplishment that only a minuscule amount of people will ever do or even attempt.  Be proud!

Wishing you a speedy recovery!  xoxo

Sara

MM #2929

Good decision, Jeff, and congratulations on a great accomplishment.  FWIW, I'm 71 and still streaking, but I do let mine go when I get injured.  My longest is 1053 and I'm back up over a year.  I still like the discipline of it, but I accept that it just won't go on forever and I'm not willing to risk my health to keep one going.   I'm proud of you!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

jeffdonahue

Still recovering - knee seems to feel a little better every day.  Keepng my focus on next Monday when I have PT as, since they scheduled PT for that day, I am hoping they expect all pain to be gone by then.

Sadly, yesterday I did inform the runeveryday.com website that my streak ended and I looked today and my streak is now on the "Retired Streak" listing.  

Ojo

Oh!  That would make me sad too!

Sara

MM #2929

Teileen

Jeff, your streak is legendary and I really don’t know how hard it must have been to let that day expire. Good on you for doing what’s right for you and your healing. In some ways I’m jealous of the freedom you now have if that makes any sense. I hope you don’t leave our little group because streak or not you’ll always be a part of us!

Est. 2006

jeffdonahue

I'll absolutely stick around - and who knows, maybe at some point I'll do some mini-streaks.  It may depress me a bit in 2.5 years when MrCrumpton passes me though.

Just had my PT evaluation meeting - looks like they want about 6-8 weeks with no running for the knee to completely heal inside.  I'm okay with that - since the streak has already ended, it can be ended for as long as the knee needs.  That will bring me to about the beginning of June, which will give me 2.5 months to train for the Falmouth Road Race in mid-August.  It's a 7 mile race so that should be enough time to get my mileage up - won't really plan on any speedwork or anything for that race, but would just like my mileage up high enough to run the race.

Jeff, your streak is legendary and I really don’t know how hard it must have been to let that day expire. Good on you for doing what’s right for you and your healing. In some ways I’m jealous of the freedom you now have if that makes any sense. I hope you don’t leave our little group because streak or not you’ll always be a part of us!

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

So you'll be good to go when the weather is good. Wink

Half Fanatic #9292. 

jeffdonahue

That's the plan.  

Though it was like 60 degrees out here this weekend - perfect running weather.

So you'll be good to go when the weather is good. Wink

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hey, Jeff, (belated) congrats on that streak, and now it's time for something else. Glad your surgery went fine, and I trust you're getting around well now.

jeffdonahue

Yes, I am getting around well now.  I've been going to PT for 3 or so weeks now and it is going well.  I'm really just waiting for them to tell me I'm okay to try running again.  It didn't happen this morning 

Hey, Jeff, (belated) congrats on that streak, and now it's time for something else. Glad your surgery went fine, and I trust you're getting around well now.

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

Yes, I am getting around well now.  I've been going to PT for 3 or so weeks now and it is going well.  I'm really just waiting for them to tell me I'm okay to try running again.  It didn't happen this morning 

The road will always be waiting for you. You'll get back out there. Muscle memory is real.

Half Fanatic #9292. 

jeffdonahue

I had PT today and they gave me a "Return to Running Protocol" which means I can start to run this week.  The build-up is slow - very indicitave of a Walk to Run program so this week will be Walk 5 minutes, run 1 minute for a half hour and then every week I'll increase the run interval by a minute, and decrease the walking by a minute.  But at least it's something.  According to the plan I should be fully running with no walk breaks (unless I want them) by the end of May.  

That's great, Jeff!  Progress for sure!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth