A Mile A Day

Question for Young1 (Read 116 times)

Just a quick question since you have been doing this for almost two years now. Have you had any times where you have been injured? I ask because last Sunday I went for a run in the snow and I started to feel a tightness in my right shin. During the run I figured I had just landed wrong because the pain went away after a few minutes. But on each run since then I have a slight tightness in my shin at the start of the run. It usually loosens up after about a bit and doesnt come back, but I am started to fear I might have a shin splint in that leg. So have you had any times that you were injured and how did you get through it and still keep your streak?

2015 Goals

Run 1,800 miles

Do 10 minutes of core work every day

10 mile goal: 1:12:00 (Black Cat 10 miler - March)

q day

Jeff, I don't know if injured is the right word, but I've run through a lot of pain. I really believe that you can run through most things, but of course, there are injuries you cannot. I suffer from piriformis (left side), and it has gone on for at least six months. That has progressed into a tight left hamstring that just doesn't go away. Neither has kept me from running or racing, but I am concerned that it doesn't heal. As a member of the USRSA, I get their quarterly newsletter (the Streak Registry) and you wouldn't believe what the members have run through. Of course when you've run 10, 20, 39 years in a row, you face nearly everything. My toughest day (so far) has been day 275 on 3/25/07. Check my log to feel my pain! The Streak Registry's quote is; "The race is not always to the swift, but to those who keep running." Lance Armstrong said; "Pain is temporary. It may last for a minute, an hour, a day, a year. But eventually it will subside.... If I quit however, it lasts forever. That surrender-giving up-stays with me forever. So when I feel like quitting, I ask myself, Which would I rather live with?" Go to; runeveryday.com/ (then) Other Lists and Running Sites (to) Members in the News (to) John Watt's story. He explains it better than I can (and he's streaked for 28 years). Running everyday has given me tremendous confidence, new personal records, and belief that there is so much more. "The dues I pay.... is running everyday."-me My suggestion is to take it as easy as you can and try to heal. One day, one mile at a time. Streak on, and good luck! Darrin

"If you always do, what you've always done; you'll always get what you've always got."