A Mile A Day

The end is coming. Maybe. (Read 16 times)

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

That is fantastic! Congrats!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

Ojo

Fabulous news!

Sara

MM #2929

So happy to read this positive news!

Out there running since dinosaurs roamed the earth

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Hi teileen - So glad to hear your good news! How did the MC Half go?

Teileen

Thanks, everyone!  And sorry I hadn’t checked back to see your question about the half!  It went pretty well considering.  I did quite a bit of walking and finished in 2:25.  My local running group, mothers run this town (MRTT) was doing course support on the last hill so after I finished I ran back to where they were and ran back and forth with folks until the very last runner. Man that was fun!  So total mileage on the day was just over 17. 

Since then it has been a bit of a struggle. My medical oncologist put me on tamoxifen on 5/23. It’s been awful and they decided to take me off it for 30 days this past Thursday.  I also started a five day course of radiation last Wednesday (weekend off) which is causing some additional fatigue. My 50k training plan starts Monday and I’m pretty bummed at just how much less fit and more fat I am this year versus this time last year.  Yesterday Strava reminded me I did a hill workout all in Z1 HR and averaged a faster pace that day last year than I was able to do on a flattish run last night with my HR in Z4.  ðŸ˜¬. Thanks, Strava.  I know I’ve gone through a lot this year and I need and am trying to give myself some grace.  What is it they say, comparison is the thief of joy.  I’m working on it.

Est. 2006

Teileen

Greetings steakers.  It’s been a while. The rest of 2023 running wise went pretty well. I ran a 10 miler in early Oct, 50k on 10/29, a 50 miler (JFK50) 11/18, a marathon on 12/3, and a 15k on 12/9. And maintained my streak. I’m not going to make my goal of 2023 miles in 2023 but all considered it’s fine. 

I went for an oncology follow up on 12/1 followed by imaging and unfortunately I had to have more biopsies. Other side this time. Surgery recommended for focal atypical ductal hyperplasia. Surgical consult Jan 5. 

I hate all of this. I want to just get rid of them but a major consideration is my relationship with running.  In particular what it’s done for me in terms of maintaining back health and my mental health. Running through a lumpectomy is one thing. Aesthetic flat closure double mastectomy is another. 

I’m coming up on 9 years on 12/28.  I’d hoped to make it 10 for a nice round number. And I’m still in denial. I still wonder if it’s possible to eak out a minimum treadmill mile bandaged up. I’ve done it before. I guess I’ll just have to see.

Est. 2006

CanadianMeg

#RunEveryDay

The running has probably done a lot to keep you healthier while going through this cancer garbage. Good luck! Do what you can!

Half Fanatic #9292. 

Game Admin for RA Running Game 2023.

jeffdonahue

Play it day by day, but you have to do what is best for your health overall.  I do agree that running not only probably is helping physically but can help keep you in a good mental state which is also super helpful during tough times.

Merry Christmas Everyone!!!!!

Teileen

Thanks guys!   Totally agree. And I’ve been super thankful for my streak the last few days when otherwise I might have just turned into an amoeba and not moved for several days. Instead I hoped on the treadmill to see how it would go and ended up running 3.5 miles and feeling better. One day at a time. 

Merry Christmas!!🎄

Est. 2006

LedLincoln

not bad for mile 25

Keep the faith, teileen! You are obviously super tough! I'm sure the streaking has helped you, so keep it up if you can. It sucks that you have to go through this. Here's to a better 2024, for you and all!