Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

onemile

Sprinkles - I don't know how Pfitz defines those paces but I would also like to run in the 3:45-3:50 range and I have done some recovery paced days at up to 10:30, especially if there's snow on the ground. As long as your form is ok, I don't think you need to worry about doing them too slow. I'd worry instead about doing your fast days fast enough. Big grin

mdawg - hope this is a sign of some progress for you!

cbus - yes there is no way I want to add miles on my one rest day! LOL I was going to add 2 miles to each easy day but threw that out the window and now I'm only doing a little longer wu/cd on the Speed/Tempo days.  The Advanced plan assumes a 1.5 mile wu/cd and I usually do 3 (they say you can do up to 3 if you want and I like having some medium length runs so I decided to do it that way).  FWIW, I think you will benefit more by doing 5k pace (yes, it's harder and it isn't fun) but I think the point of the speedwork at 5k pace is to improve your v02max.  10k pace doesn't have the same effect.

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

onemile - that was basically what I did with my Hanson plan was add 2m to all the easy days and dooing LR every week. I was going to do 3m w/u & c/d on speed/tempo days, but can't do 13-16m runs during week unless i got up at like 3am.Smile 345-4am bad enough most days.  settled for 2m w/u & c/d as that is what i usually do right now. My plan will be a combo of advanced and the 16wk you can buy from their site. 18-20 milers last few weeks before taper. 16wk plan has like 5 20 milers at end. I'll just do 2. I'll load the plan on my log soon if anyone wants to take a look at it.

I  agree on the V02max. Lot of other plans do it same way like Daniels and Hudson. Phase II of Daniels which I am doing now has more workouts at R pace (5:56-5;59 per VDOT 49) which is interval pace. Phase III has more I pace which is a tad slower (6:20-6;25 per my VDOT 49). Just like other plans more faster stuff in beginning to rev up the engine and then get more specific with goal pace later in plan. All the plans follow this except Pfitz where VO2 at end of plan.

cbus - yes there is no way I want to add miles on my one rest day! LOL I was going to add 2 miles to each easy day but threw that out the window and now I'm only doing a little longer wu/cd on the Speed/Tempo days.  The Advanced plan assumes a 1.5 mile wu/cd and I usually do 3 (they say you can do up to 3 if you want and I like having some medium length runs so I decided to do it that way).  FWIW, I think you will benefit more by doing 5k pace (yes, it's harder and it isn't fun) but I think the point of the speedwork at 5k pace is to improve your v02max.  10k pace doesn't have the same effect.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Rusk Runner

Sprinkles - In my opinion, no that is not too slow for a recovery run.  Be very honest in your tempo, VO2, and GMP runs (dont run them slower than what they are or should be).  If I remember correctly, I was training at 8:30 GMP although true GMP at the time was 8:45 (ended up running 8:38 avg).  I tried not to run long runs slower than GMP plus 60 sec.  Typically any longer I stay 30 to 40 sec slower than GMP on long runs.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

Yes, I'm very interested to look at your plan. I had considered adding a LR every week but then after finding out the pace of the LRs I decided not to. And I'm glad I didn't because I really look forward to those 4 days of easy running.  Hansons has a little bit of a mini cycle of 10 days "hard" and then 4 easy recovery days. I like it (and need it).  By the end of those 10 days, I'm very ready for my easy weekend.

onemile - that was basically what I did with my Hanson plan was add 2m to all the easy days and dooing LR every week. I was going to do 3m w/u & c/d on speed/tempo days, but can't do 13-16m runs during week unless i got up at like 3am.Smile 345-4am bad enough most days.  settled for 2m w/u & c/d as that is what i usually do right now. My plan will be a combo of advanced and the 16wk you can buy from their site. 18-20 milers last few weeks before taper. 16wk plan has like 5 20 milers at end. I'll just do 2. I'll load the plan on my log soon if anyone wants to take a look at it.

MA runner girl

Question: I'm aiming for a 3:45 - 3:49 marathon finish time, which puts goal marathon pace around 8:30-8:45 for me- I typically nail these paces easily.  The question I have is for recovery runs.  Is 10:00 too slow? Is 9;30 too slow for my General Aerobic runs.  I'm doing Pfitz 18/55.  Week 4 right now.

Delurk: Sprinkles, when I was doing Pfitz over the summer, before I got pregnant, I was doing the GA runs at 9:40-10:00 based on Pfitz's definition (I think it's GMP + 10-15%? It's been too long!) My recovery runs were 10:15-10:30 pace (GMP + 20% was 10:30 but that felt too slow most of the time). My GMP was 8:45. So I would say you are definitely not going too slow. I would probably slow down the recovery runs a little more, but the GA are probably fine, considering your GMP is 8:30-8:45.

You all have me intrigued to look at Hanson.. though I do want to try finishing a cycle of Pfitz since I was enjoying the first 2 months of it before I got PG...

I'm 33 weeks pregnant now, looking forward to getting back to some hard training, my easy runs are boring me! I've been able to keep up 15mpw, with a 6 mile "LR" and three 3 mile runs. But after Sunday's 6 miler I think I'm cutting it out due to some cramping and then a really sore pelvis. I'm pretty proud that I kept it up this long though! Probably thanks to the first 8 weeks of Pfitz 18/55.

PRs: 5k - 21:22, half marathon - 1:39:43, marathon - 3:37:16

Smashy!!!

Mdawg, I think it's very likely that the pop was the original injury. I know with my ITBS, it took a while just to break through all the "surface" layers of adhesions, and once those were gone, he got deep down to the original injury. I hope this is a real turning point for you.

Onemile and Jedi, I totally agree with the below comment. Hansons has a way of pushing you, and pushing, and then pulling back just in the nick of time. As far as adding mile, I think doing the max 3 mi wu and cd is adding a lot. That takes your Tempo run to 16 miles in some cases. That's an intense workout! Chuck Norris has nothing on that. When I do the full marathon plan, I'll experiment with how much I add to the wu and cd, but the Wednesday SRD will remain holy.

Hansons has a little bit of a mini cycle of 10 days "hard" and then 4 easy recovery days. I like it (and need it).  By the end of those 10 days, I'm very ready for my easy weekend.

Regarding my goal and getting faster, I'd be very happy to improve my HM PR by 3 minutes. But I'll learn more once I start the Strength workouts. GHMP - :10 should be tough. If they start feeling doable, then I'll give myself the green light to lower my goal pace.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Smashy!!!

Sprinkles, I don't think those paces look too slower for recovery. But I like Pfitz's comment on recovery runs. He says to keep in mind that the point of the recovery run is to get recovered. So run them easy enough that you feel ready for the next day of running, and no slower or faster.

onemile

This is a nice way to put it.  And I feel the same way.

Onemile and Jedi, I totally agree with the below comment. Hansons has a way of pushing you, and pushing, and then pulling back just in the nick of time. As far as adding mile, I think doing the max 3 mi wu and cd is adding a lot. That takes your Tempo run to 16 miles in some cases. That's an intense workout! Chuck Norris has nothing on that. When I do the full marathon plan, I'll experiment with how much I add to the wu and cd, but the Wednesday SRD will remain holy.

I'm a little worried about when the tempo run gets up to 16 and then I have 16 at LR pace plus the Tues strength workout, but I think I'm going to play it by ear and maybe adjust the wu/cd if needed.

So my 15k is on Saturday.  Hansons advises if you are racing to drop the tempo run on Thursday and substitute the easy run from the day of the race.  So that would make this week be 10 easy on Thursday, 6 easy on Friday, 15k on Saturday.  Do you guys think that sounds ok?  I want to do my best at the 15k but at the same time keep decent mileage for the week.

Trail Monster

I got called in to work the 4-midnight shift. So today's run was switched with tomorrow's XT. Lots of squats, lunges, core, and some arms. I'm working on some 10' long, 6" diameter zirconium pipes tonight so I'll get some more strength wrestling them around For 8 hours.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

I'm a little worried about when the tempo run gets up to 16 and then I have 16 at LR pace plus the Tues strength workout, but I think I'm going to play it by ear and maybe adjust the wu/cd if needed.

So my 15k is on Saturday.  Hansons advises if you are racing to drop the tempo run on Thursday and substitute the easy run from the day of the race.  So that would make this week be 10 easy on Thursday, 6 easy on Friday, 15k on Saturday.  Do you guys think that sounds ok?  I want to do my best at the 15k but at the same time keep decent mileage for the week.

Onemile, I was looking at the Advanced plan, and Week 15 looks killer! But after that, it looks like it lets up considerably.

As far as adjusting for the race. Your plan sounds fine. The Hansons don't want you sacrificing too much training for a race. So I think they're okay if you are a bit dead legged going into the race. But I'd feel fine dropping the Friday miles all together. Good luck on your 15k! Smash it!

akalei

Hi donuts! Busy day/week at work, so I'm just kind of passing through.

Sprinkles: Recovery pace seems fine to me.  I don't think I even bothered paying much attention to pace on recovery runs... I worried more about how my body felt on those runs in particular.

Onemile: I still don't know anything about Hansons, but your plan sounds good from an outsider's perspective, especially if Thursday and Friday are easy runs.  Good luck in the 15K!

Question: I've signed up for the Oakland Half on 3/24, and I'm still doing Shamrock on 3/17.  Original plan was to shoot for 1:42-1:44 at Shamrock, but now I'm wondering if I should run Shamrock easy and shoot for that goal at Oakland instead.  Or should I race Shamrock and run Oakland easy?  Any thoughts?

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I used to feel like that during my first Pfitz training program.  I think trying something new always leaves you like that but once you know you're capable of even more than what Hanson is asking, it will build your confidence on race day.

Banshee, I think you are likely faster since your last 5k and as long as you can complete all the intervals at the faster pace, I say go for it Smile

Rollcast - No, I am most certainly NOT growing to love them.  I can't wait til I'm done with them. Only 2 weeks to go!  Sorry the tight pants theory proved wrong.  Do you have ideas for other possible causes?

cbus - I agree with Jedi. I'm expecting a big improvement from you!

Jedi - Nice job getting the run in this morning and good luck on the tempo tomorrow.

Another thought regarding the Hansons plan.  It seems to be a very smart program. They give you just enough recovery to hit the paces on the next workout. I am always wondering if I'll be ready for the next workout but when the time comes, I can do it.  It's starting to grow on me a little (and I hated it at first).

Much needed SRD for me today.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Based upon the GMP, 9:30 for GA runs is what Pfitz recommend.  Do you run with a HRM?  He also gives HR ranges for each run.  If yours fall within that range and now lower or higher, I think the paces are fine.  The 10mm sounds good for recovery runs according to Pfitz too.

AP4 - beautiful splits! That's what the second half of Philly looked like for me- I need to run less conservatively.  Based on recent time trials I should come out at around 3:45-3:47, so fingers crossed!

Hansons people-  I have no idea what you are talking about.

Me: 4 recovery miles today- my garmin wasn't synced properly somehow, because my phone came out to 4 miles on my usual course, but the garmin said 4.23...and I knew it was syncing up at one mile too early- oh well, not a big deal, just interesting.  I think pace was like 10:00...it was straight up black ice out there, so even if i wasn't trying a recovery pace, I would have had no choice but to run one.

Question: I'm aiming for a 3:45 - 3:49 marathon finish time, which puts goal marathon pace around 8:30-8:45 for me- I typically nail these paces easily.  The question I have is for recovery runs.  Is 10:00 too slow? Is 9;30 too slow for my General Aerobic runs.  I'm doing Pfitz 18/55.  Week 4 right now.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

By the time you reach this workout, you'll be able to do it.  Trust me (I have not done Hanson but my coach had a WTF 20 miler I doubted if I could do it).  You can do it!

This is a nice way to put it.  And I feel the same way.

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sorry for the multiple posts (I hate being too busy to respond at the time they are made).

Which one is the easiest course?  If you can do the first at LR pace and the second one is easy, it might work.  If not, switch it and PR on the first.

Hi donuts! Busy day/week at work, so I'm just kind of passing through.

Sprinkles: Recovery pace seems fine to me.  I don't think I even bothered paying much attention to pace on recovery runs... I worried more about how my body felt on those runs in particular.

Onemile: I still don't know anything about Hansons, but your plan sounds good from an outsider's perspective, especially if Thursday and Friday are easy runs.  Good luck in the 15K!

Question: I've signed up for the Oakland Half on 3/24, and I'm still doing Shamrock on 3/17.  Original plan was to shoot for 1:42-1:44 at Shamrock, but now I'm wondering if I should run Shamrock easy and shoot for that goal at Oakland instead.  Or should I race Shamrock and run Oakland easy?  Any thoughts?

Damaris