Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

akalei

Thanks for the input, guys.  I'll go with racing Shamrock, running Oakland easy. Smile

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I only did 8 X 100m and 6 miles.  I almost got an asthma attack at the end of the 8th stride so I shut it down.  I had my allergy shot today so it figures.

Damaris

Hi guys!

I just cannot keep up with this thread, but a quick few comments:

1)Mdawg- hope that is a good sign for your leg I have never had a soleus problem, cramps in the gastrocnemius quite often.

2) Sprinks, I am certain 10/mile is not too slow, sounds just about right. I am impatient and almost never run slowly enough, but I do such low mileage I take the attitude that any running is better than none, regardless of pace. I do not use a monitor but feel the "general aerobic" pace for the semi-long run, at 70-80% (IIRC) of MHR is not a slow run but a steady pace. This run goes out to 14 miles, over 2 hours at 9 minutes/mile!

3)Hansons- I have never used their plans but from what I know about them I respect their methods. It is remarkable they have had success turning runners like Brian Sell and Desi, who had solid but not exceptional collegiate careers, into stars. The brothers really seem to embody the idea of taking personal responsibility for one's success or failure, and working hard to reach a goal.

4) Pacing- my PBs for 5k, 10k and HM are 7:09, 7:24 and 7:30. So a spread of about 20 seconds per mile, or 5 seconds on a 400m interval. I have trouble running intervals that accurately. Ideally I would try to do 5k pace, but Pfitz makes a distinction between lactate threshold and VO2 max pace based on 10k/HM times- this is beyond my level of sophistication.

5) Akalei, I would choose to race even if you do fewer miles that way. The higher intensity compensates for the miles, and in any case monthly miles is a more important indicator than weekly, IMO.

6) Banshee, what are those pipes used for- zirconium?

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Rusk Runner

cbus - LOL.  I am just glad I got the faster stuff done while I could still see the potholes in the road to avoid them.

Postponed todays 6 recovery miles to tomorrow.  I have a half day of overtime, so I can comfortably slip in my run in the light of day.  I woke up at 3 and decided I would catch up on some sleep/rest.  I dont do that very often but, what the hell, its a cutback week.

Happy running everyone!!  I love the fact that the tread is hard to keep up with.  We are a solid group.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Trail Monster

Worked 4-midnight last night and working 8a-4p today. Let the crazy season begin.

Simon, I have no idea what the pipes are used for. I'm an industrial radiographer so I just make sure they won't blow up.

speaking of blowing up, had a very scary situation last night. Our radioactive source got stuck and it took about 1.5 hours to unjam it. Thankfully it was caught in the shielded position. I really hate my job sometimes.

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning all.  I was able to get in 3.5 @ 8:18 yesterday at lunch, followed by 2500yds in the pool after work.  The 8:18 pace felt easier than the 9:20 did in the morning.  I must just need to get used to running early again.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Fuel rods for nuclear power plants, possibly, Banshee.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Smashy!!!

Morning all!

I've got a 6 mi tempo run on tap today. I'm gonna do it after work so I can take advantage of the predicted sunshine. Kinda looking forward to it.

Indi, what? You slept in? My jaw dropped when I read that. I can't believe it: you actually sleep in.

Banshee, way to do work, literally.

Simon, did you post your races on the 2013 Race Schedule sticky?

Happy running everybody!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

cmb4314

Morning!

Managed to run my intervals last night without much complaint from the IT band, though I did decide to cut my run down from 8 to 6 miles - I finished my intervals at 4.5 miles (2 miles warmup, 5x600 w/ 200 rests) and decided I'd rather just stop at 6 miles and go home and eat dinner sooner Smile  I am tapering and I'm low on sleep this week, so I'm not that concerned about 2 miles.

Re: interval speed: I try to run mine based on my best race time, which for me is not my 5K PR, but my HM.  My HM indicates that I can run ~7:40 pace for a 5K, so I try to keep it in that range even though I've never come close to that in an actual 5K.

In-laws are coming for the weekend.  My husband's mom told him "oh, don't do anything special for us", which he took to mean "I don't have to clean up the house".  So, he went to bed, and was mad at me for not just going to bed with him, but I'm not going to host guests in my house and have it be a mess, so I was up until midnight removing the clutter so they don't think we live in a pig sty.  Both of us working full time and marathon training has not been good for the state of our home.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

onemile

Josh - massages sound like a good idea.

alkalei - I think that sounds like the right choice, to race Shamrock.

rollcast - good luck on figuring out the issue. I hope it's not compartment syndrome.

indiana - nice job on the intervals. I think I dread true tempo runs more than intervals too (but not the Hansons MP tempo runs)

Damaris - sorry about the almost-asthma attack but nice job getting 8 of the strides in at least.

Banshee - wow, scary!!

Flinders - nice pace on the 3.5!

cbus - good luck on the tempo!

cmb - glad your itb seemed better for your interval run!

10 easy for me tonight then.  It's gonna be only 18 degrees for the start of my 15k. Do you think that's too cold to race well?

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Morning Donuts! 9.3m this morning with 45min@T+15sec on the mill at gym. Warm-up and cooldown to/from gym.. Tempo avg @ 7:09 pace. First half at 7:13 and second at 7:08 as those were settings I had to work with. Enjoying my mill runs, but so ready for spring to get here.

On intervals i base it off my 5k PR which works well with Daniels and his VDOT paces. I will do same when i start hanson, but hoping to have faster 5k PR by time I start Hanson marathon plan in July.

Nice running all!

indi - nice intervals! Why 2:45 rest intervals?

aka - smart choice on choosing Shamrock. A fast friend of mine going for sub1;20 at Shamrock.

DR - don't know how you deal with that asthma

Simon - I am hoping that rings true for me too with hanson plan this fall

Flinders - nice lunch run

cbus - rock that tempo today

cmb - way to be smart with the intervals. Nice job!

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

bagopux

Over the weekend I finally bought a new pair of Saucony Ride 5s.  These have an 8mm heel drop. I've been running in 12 mm for years.  I ran in the Ride 5s for 2 miles on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday.  No problems.  Ran some more miles in my Ride 4s.  Last night, I did 8 miles in the 5s on the treadmill (with no incline).  Still no problems.  This morning I did 5 miles w/ 8 x 2 min. intervals in the 4s.  On the hill back to my house I felt a sharp pain in the back of my left leg about 3 inches above the ankle.  So bad I had to stop running, but didn't feel it at all when I walked.  Felt it when I flexed the foot though.  Now its about 4 hours later and there is no pain at all.

I've never had any injury or pain in that area.  From what I've read it seems a little high for achilles tendonitis and a little low for a calf strain.  But my guess is that its achilles tendonitis brought on by the new shoes and me stupidly running 8 miles in them last night and then doing intervals on hills this morning.

Does anybody have any experience with this and have any advice?

Thanks.

Smashy!!!

I'm now wondering if I'm running my Speed too hard. After reading how CMB gets her speed paces, I plugged my half pr into Mcmillan, and it gave 7:25 as my 5k! Even when I plug my half goal (1:43), it only gives me 7:10! Oh well, the hay is in the barn, as they say. I may slow down next week's Speed workout to 7:10-7:25, unless anyone things otherwise.

Indi and Onemile, I agree Tempos are harder than Intervals, but they don't suck as much as Intervals, if that makes sense. And I'd much rather do a Tempo than repeats, every time!

Pux, I suggest getting some traditional 12mm heel dropped shoes, and rotating them with your Rides, until you fully adjust to the lower heel drop.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

bagopux

Pux, I suggest getting some traditional 12mm heel dropped shoes, and rotating them with your Rides, until you fully adjust to the lower heel drop.

Cbus, I am doing that

Sat. 2 mi (8mm, track); 7 mi (12mm, track)

Sun 3 mi (8mm); 5 mi (12mm)

Tue 5 mi (12mm)

Wed 8 mi (8mm, treadmill)

Thu 5 mi (12mm) --> pain ... ouch

onemile

Most people's 5k times are faster than their equivalent HM time. Putting the HM time in the calculator may work for CMB but it does not work for most people.  Don't slow down your 5k intervals. I know you're looking for an excuse to slow them down but as long as you can complete them all at the same pace, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by slowing them down.

I'm now wondering if I'm running my Speed too hard. After reading how CMB gets her speed paces, I plugged my half pr into Mcmillan, and it gave 7:25 as my 5k! Even when I plug my half goal (1:43), it only gives me 7:10! Oh well, the hay is in the barn, as they say. I may slow down next week's Speed workout to 7:10-7:25, unless anyone things otherwise.

Indi and Onemile, I agree Tempos are harder than Intervals, but they don't suck as much as Intervals, if that makes sense. And I'd much rather do a Tempo than repeats, every time!