Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Ball of Fury

Good morning Donuts!  I didn't get to Shoulders and Arms yesterday because we went to look at cars and I ended up buying one so that pretty much took all day.  I did enjoy the SRD though!  This morning was our first Hanson tempo run, so 5 miles @ GHMP (8:00 min/mile).  I did 1.8 mile warm-up, the 5 miles with average pace 7:58, and 1.2 mile cool-down for total of 8 miles.  I got the workout done, but it was a little harder than I felt like it should have been.  I absolutely could not have continued to run that pace for 8 more miles, but I guess that's what the training cycle is for right?  It was a pretty nice though, because the sun came out and it was 35 degrees...downright warm!

Indy:  Good for you...we all deserve to sleep in every one in a while!

Banshee:  That is scary!  Glad you are ok!!

Flinders:  Nice run!  It does take a while to get used to morning running, but once you do,  you have more energy throughout the day.

CBus:  Good luck with the tempo!  It is absolutely beautiful here right now, so hopefully the weather will be good for you.  I am the exact opposite....I would run intervals any day over a tempo!  And I think  your intervals paces are just right!

Cmb:  Nice run and I am glad your ITB held up.  I could never have people (especially in-laws) over with a messy house so I totally understand!

Onemile:  I raced a 5K last  year at about that pace and yes, it was tough..mostly on the lungs.  I did manage to pr but it wasn't easy!

Jedi:  Nice run!  I so hope spring arrives soon!

Bago:  I am sorry I don't have any advice but I hope it is nothing serious!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Thanks for the replies, all.  10 mi GA this morning- didn't upload splits because ran out of time to do so - something like 9:05-9:25 I think average.

Ami- what kind of car?

CMB- I have to clean like a crazy person every time we have guests...and right now my house looks like running exploded everywhere. Shoes, pants...socks...hats.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Most people's 5k times are faster than their equivalent HM time. Putting the HM time in the calculator may work for CMB but it does not work for most people.  Don't slow down your 5k intervals. I know you're looking for an excuse to slow them down but as long as you can complete them all at the same pace, I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice by slowing them down.

Hmmm, maybe you're onto something... You should be a therapist!

Ami, congrats on the car! I may be wrong, but the Tempos should be done at GHMP + :20.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning...eh, afternoon!!!!!

My breathing is still shallow today and I'm wheezing but I am hoping to finish as many miles between 10 and 12 tonight.  They will be slow, at this pace.

AmiK, do you have a specific P90X calendar?  Not the one they provide because I don't have time for those, but which ones do you do?  I like the S&A and the B&C but I wonder if two a week might be enough or whether to add the Back and Biceps to the mix too.

Cbus, you have not raced a 5K lately?  Not sure whether the paces are OK or not because I am not sure if you were scared of the 7:25, the 7:10 or both.

Damaris

Rusk Runner

cbus - I agree with onemile. And if you call waking up at 4:30 sleeping in.....

Jedi - I dont know. That comes to about 80 % rest time, which given my comfort level, I may actually need cut down to 65 or 70%.

Docket - Sorry about the Asthma. You truly are one of the gutsiest runners here.

Onemile - I would be jumping for joy to run a race in those temps. Dress accordingly (not too much) and lett'er rip!

Bago – Maybe it’s a fluke?

I cant base time off of a 5K so I use my 4 mile time and guess what I am pretty sure I might be able to do. Although I post my 5K PR, it is absolutely not indicative of what I can run in a 5K.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Smashy!!!

Cbus, you have not raced a 5K lately?  Not sure whether the paces are OK or not because I am not sure if you were scared of the 7:25, the 7:10 or both.

Try "ever." I'm not scared of 7:25 or 7:10. Right now I'm doing them at 7:08. Like Onemile said, I'm looking for an enabler so that I can slow down to those paces. Big grin

Indi, 4:30? For me, that's early (or shall we say, late). But, for you, it's down right lazy!!!

Onemile, forgot to sound off on the 18 degree start temp. I'd wear a throw away layer. Are you used to racing in arm sleeves? That might be appropriate for those types of temps. If not, I made some out of old tube socks, which worked great. I think after a mile or two, you'll be nice and warm. But I'd also do a warm up before the race--maybe like a mile jog with some GP strides? But yeah, like Indi said, smash all 15 ks!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

indi - I usually do them 1/2 of what workout is i.e. 400 do rests at 200 or sometimes by time like 90sec-2min.

Jedi - I dont know. That comes to about 80 % rest time, which given my comfort level, I may actually need cut down to 65 or 70%. 

cbus - #doworkgetfaster - not gonna happen by lollygagging intervals at HMP.Smile Also I have advanced Hanson Hm plan and tempos done at goal HMP.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

cmb4314

I'm now wondering if I'm running my Speed too hard. After reading how CMB gets her speed paces, I plugged my half pr into Mcmillan, and it gave 7:25 as my 5k! Even when I plug my half goal (1:43), it only gives me 7:10! Oh well, the hay is in the barn, as they say. I may slow down next week's Speed workout to 7:10-7:25, unless anyone things otherwise.

No, I'm the totally backwards one.

My PRs don't even remotely line up.  My HM is my "strongest" time for me, in that it predicts the fastest paces, so I use it.  I use whatever PR gives me the highest VO2Max value, and base my intervals off of that.

I always wonder why my legs are so damned slow.  I should be able to run an entire 5k at a 7:40 pace, but I've never come anywhere near maintaining that pace for a full race.  I managed that pace for the first, downhill, mile of my last 5k, but I couldn't sustain it.

You will note that my 10k PR is an 8:22 pace.....and my HM PR is an 8:24 pace.  Because that makes SO much sense Joking.  The 10k PR is surely soft because of race circumstances (super crowded first mile, hard and hilly course, fell on my face and lost at least 5 seconds), but it's not THAT soft.  And I don't think I gained absurd amounts of fitness over the summer, because my 5k PR didn't really change.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

nachosgrande

Ami - Nice workout.  The first tempo run of the cycle is always the toughest.  I remember running a tempo only a week before my first HM last year and I could barely hold 8:00 for 4 miles before basically bonking.  10 days later I ran 7:55 for 13.1.

Sprinkles - Solid 10 this morning.

Indi - Way to push through and get the intervals in.  Glad to hear the shins are manageable.

Jedi - You are fast.  Good workout.

Cbus - Agree with Onemile and others.  You should be plugging your 5k time into McMillan for paces instead of your HM.

Docket - Sucks to hear about the recent flare up.  Hope things clear up soon.

Bago - At the beginning of the year I switched from all 12mm shoes to all 4mm and I made sure to keep everything under 6 miles for the first couple of weeks as I made the transition.  Still, my calves were thrashed.  My advice is to keep your runs in the 8mm's short for a bit until your calves/achilles adapt.

Me - Tried to run a LT or tempo workout last night.  I typically use a HR monitor for my workouts to make sure I'm in the right zone but I forgot mine yesterday, so I had no clue if I was really in the right range effortwise.  Ran 2 warm-up miles and then 3.3 at tempo with paces of 7:48, 7:47, 7:41 and 7:19.  6.1 miles in total. Frankly, it felt pretty damned hard and I noticed my newer midfoot striking gait started to breakdown as I picked up the pace and fatigued.  Pretty depressing since I could "comfortably" hold 7:25 for a good hour last summer.  Not sure what kind of pace I'll be able to hold for my half on 3/10 - might be looking at something in the 1:47-1:50 range.  On the bright side, my left leg shin splint issues have been incrementally improving since switching to the lower drop shoes - despite upping my mileage of late.

Ball of Fury

Sprinkles:  I bought a Kia Sorrento...I really like it!

CBus:  I am using GHMP for Tempos because that is what it said on the bottom of the plan I printed out.  Figured since the FM plan calls for Tempos at GMP that I should use goal pace too, especially since the HM plans have shorter tempos.

Docket:  We are doing just the strength workouts from the P90X schedule so we are following the Beachbody schedule but only for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  We have easy runs on Mondays and Fridays and then SRD on Wednesday so those are the best days for us to do strength training.

Jedi:  Where did you get the advanced HM plan?  Is it the same as the HM plan on their website?

Nachos:  I bet you will surprise yourself, just like last time!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

There are no enablers here.  If I could run at 7:08 without having an asthma attack (which I cannot), I would.  So get out there and give me 7:08!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Try "ever." I'm not scared of 7:25 or 7:10. Right now I'm doing them at 7:08. Like Onemile said, I'm looking for an enabler so that I can slow down to those paces. Big grin

Indi, 4:30? For me, that's early (or shall we say, late). But, for you, it's down right lazy!!!

Onemile, forgot to sound off on the 18 degree start temp. I'd wear a throw away layer. Are you used to racing in arm sleeves? That might be appropriate for those types of temps. If not, I made some out of old tube socks, which worked great. I think after a mile or two, you'll be nice and warm. But I'd also do a warm up before the race--maybe like a mile jog with some GP strides? But yeah, like Indi said, smash all 15 ks!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

I'll check it!  Thanks.

Sprinkles:  I bought a Kia Sorrento...I really like it!

CBus:  I am using GHMP for Tempos because that is what it said on the bottom of the plan I printed out.  Figured since the FM plan calls for Tempos at GMP that I should use goal pace too, especially since the HM plans have shorter tempos.

Docket:  We are doing just the strength workouts from the P90X schedule so we are following the Beachbody schedule but only for Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays.  We have easy runs on Mondays and Fridays and then SRD on Wednesday so those are the best days for us to do strength training.

Jedi:  Where did you get the advanced HM plan?  Is it the same as the HM plan on their website?

Nachos:  I bet you will surprise yourself, just like last time!

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

I usually don't get too excited about one workout, but I just had an awesome Tempo run. I knew it was going to be a good one when I put in my first mile at 8:11 and it felt EASY. Even though today was 1 mile longer, I knew it was going to be a breeze. In fact I had a real hard time staying on 8:12, so I let my self drift to 8:08-8:10. At the end of mile 6, I was feeling great, so I put in a sprint to the finish and ended up with 7:49ish. In the end, I put in 6 Tempo miles @ 8:07 avg., + wu/cd = 10.2 mi total. Somewhere between last week and this week, I think my body adapted to the training. Now I'm considering lowering my goal by :05. Next week, I'm gonna aim for 8:08 for my Tempo workout.

Ami, coolio! Smile

Jedi, that's why it's called the ADVANCED half marathon plan. Wink

Ball of Fury

Awesome run CBus!!

Hey all,

I usually don't get too excited about one workout, but I just had an awesome Tempo run. I knew it was going to be a good one when I put in my first mile at 8:11 and it felt EASY. Even though today was 1 mile longer, I knew it was going to be a breeze. In fact I had a real hard time staying on 8:12, so I let my self drift to 8:08-8:10. At the end of mile 6, I was feeling great, so I put in a sprint to the finish and ended up with 7:49ish. In the end, I put in 6 Tempo miles @ 8:07 avg., + wu/cd = 10.2 mi total. Somewhere between last week and this week, I think my body adapted to the training. Now I'm considering lowering my goal by :05. Next week, I'm gonna aim for 8:08 for my Tempo workout.

Ami, coolio! Smile

onemile

Woah! Nice. I can't imagine running those paces and having it feel EASY!

Hey all,

Ami, coolio! Smile