Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

My heart's still pumping after yesterday's Tempo. Luckily, I've only got 6 easy on tap today. It's cold again, so I'll try out my new Mizuno base layer.

Josh, awesome workout! I agree with Docket: go race another 5K now!

Chu, awesome workout too!

Roll, have you tried parallel lacing on your shoes yet?

Onemile, you may not realize it, but you're having awesome workouts like every week! I don't know about you, but when I look at the week in the Hansons' plan, I don't really mind whatever distance they throw at you; I only look to see if its easy or a workout--the workouts I fear. As for racing in 0 degrees. I've never done it before, so I don't have any real advice. But I'd just say, don't overdress. Do you have an outfit that you were on Tempos or Speed days when it's cold? Maybe you can go with that. I've got thinner tights, and I'd probably wear those (over the brushed tights). Up top, I'd wear one my light but very warm base layers (both are Mizuno), and a throwaway t-shirt over the top, with some homemade throwaway arm sleeves. I'd probably wear real gloves, and keep them on the whole time. But good luck! The race route is going to be plowed right? Or is it indoor?

Flinders, nice miles.

Jedi, what size Ronins did you get? According to RW, i should go a whole size up. (FYI, I want them to fit more like performance trainers than racers.)

To those who are in Blizzard territory, be safe!

Happy running everyone else!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Roll, have you tried parallel lacing on your shoes yet?

tonight is the parallel lacing run

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

onemile

My indoor track is awesome and I'm so lucky to have it in my city. It's a 443 meter track that goes around the Olympic Speed Skating oval.  It saves me when I have a speed workout and we get a ton of snow!

cbus - Thanks!  I've only ever done a MP run in those temps, nothing faster so it's hard to say.  I know what I would wear for that but I'm thinking I should probably dress a tad lighter. I guess I would rather err on the side of being a little cold.

Yes the route should be plowed and it says it will be "excellent winter running conditions". Hope so.

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Morning!  Still stuck in court but at least I was told there are donuts at the office so I cannot wait to get there and eat one.

6 mile recovery run tonight.

onemile, 0?  Ouch.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

cbus - Thanks!  I've only ever done a MP run in those temps, nothing faster so it's hard to say.  I know what I would wear for that but I'm thinking I should probably dress a tad lighter. I guess I would rather err on the side of being a little cold.

I think this is smart. (So leave the balaclava at home Wink.) (I wish there was an emoticon wearing a balaclava.)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

cbus - shoefitr said based off my size 13 Musha 4 that i should get a size 14, but RWH don't carry that size and might as well wear the shoeboxes if i go that size. i got a size 13. First run I had a little bit of rubbing on my pinky toe, but changed to my ultralight balega socks and were perfect. Love the shoe and will be racing my half in them next month.

Jedi, what size Ronins did you get? According to RW, i should go a whole size up. (FYI, I want them to fit more like performance trainers than racers.)

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

I cancelled my run last night and did 44 minutes on the exercise bike instead.

We had cold temps and snow, overnight about 10 inches so "cross training" today with a shovel! Fortunately it's my day off.

My son toughed it out as there was limited transit running today, worst winter storm since 2000 according to the weather network.

He ran to work, lots of snow on the sidewalks, 21kms or 13 miles, took over 21/2 hours. I must admire his tenacity.

Nice runs guys, Cbus that's a good tempo and very encouraging. Josh, you are going to have the biggest PB in 5k history!

Nice to have that big indoor track, Onemile.

I will post my intended races, I have had to cancel any early spring races but am working towards May and June. Still hoping to become a marathoner in October.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.

Ball of Fury

Happy Friday Donuts!  DH and I did Shoulders and Arms this morning and then will have 4 easy miles this afternoon.  Cold here again, and some rain, but nothing terrible.  You guys be safe up in the Northeast!

Nachos:  Congrats on the weight loss!!

Banshee:  Good for you...getting your run in even when tired and working weird hours.  I know how hard that can be!

Indy:  6:45/mile....wow!!

Roll:  Nice 8...sorry you are still having foot problems.  Hopefully, the parallel lacing will help.

Docket:  Eat a donut for me!

Chubacco:  Sounds like a great run!!

Flinders:  Nice double!

Onemile:  Wow, that's cold.  I would probably wear tights, with wind resistance running pants over them and then an UA cold gear base layer with a regular long-sleeve on top.  Definitely a hat and gloves.  But, I tend to get cold easily!

Jedi:  That's a nice pace for your 7!

CBus:  Enjoy your 6-miler...I just wish it was as warm here today as it was yesterday.

Simon:  Wow...your son really is tenacious!  Stay safe!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

cbus - shoefitr said based off my size 13 Musha 4 that i should get a size 14, but RWH don't carry that size and might as well wear the shoeboxes if i go that size. i got a size 13. First run I had a little bit of rubbing on my pinky toe, but changed to my ultralight balega socks and were perfect. Love the shoe and will be racing my half in them next month.

Jedi, Shoefitr says 11 for me. I normally wear 10. According to Shoefitr 11 is an exact match. In either case, we're not talking shoeboxes here. But what do you say? Do the Ronins run smaller than the Riders/Precisions?

White Lightning

Thanks everyone, I slept very well last night

nachos - great job on the weight loss

rollcast - I had some issues with my big toe falling asleep, had to have a bone re-set in my foot.  When my arch collapsed the more tired I got, it was pinching a never.  I still get it every once in a while

chubacca - great run.  I'm in the same boat, how am I going to feel this weekend and going into next week.

flinders - great paces!!

onemile - I would wear what I would normally wear for an easy run at 25F, as long as the wind isn't too bad

jedi - nice running the day after your tempo.  I'm totally okay with my SRD today Smile

cbus - I will if you will.  Realistically though, won't get to one until the summer

amik - I took this week off from P90X.  Going to adjust things a bit and do two on, one off.  I might do my legs & back tonight though

SRD for me.  Enjoy your day everyone

Play the Game Hard!

Smashy!!!

Thanks everyone, I slept very well last night

cbus - I will if you will.  Realistically though, won't get to one until the summer

Josh, I slept well last night too! As for a 5k race. There is one in March, before my Half, that I thought about doing. But there are a number of factors working against it. 1) I loathe the idea of paying for a race of 3.1 miles. I feel like if I really wanted, I could just do that on my own. 2) the idea of running all out for 5k sounds terrible. Like Clubber Lang from Rocky III, my prediction is "Pain." In fact, I threw up a little in my mouth just thinking about it.

So I think for the time being my 5k PR will remain a hypothetical.

rollcast - I had some issues with my big toe falling asleep, had to have a bone re-set in my foot.  When my arch collapsed the more tired I got, it was pinching a never.  I still get it every once in a while

how long did that take to heal?

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

Just a tad smaller and more narrow than Rider/Precisions. Nice snug fit though.

Jedi, Shoefitr says 11 for me. I normally wear 10. According to Shoefitr 11 is an exact match. In either case, we're not talking shoeboxes here. But what do you say? Do the Ronins run smaller than the Riders/Precisions?

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

onemile

Docket - enjoy the recovery!

Simon - 10 inches! Wow.  I would imagine that would be quite a shoveling workout.

cbus - it's low wind so I think I can get by without the balaclava.  Smile And then I can wear sunglasses.  Regarding the 5k.  I have a very hard time replicating 5k pace/effort outside a race environment. I think it's worth the $25 to do it as a race. You won't push yourself as hard in a time trial. And yeah, racing a 5k is awful and not fun but I think it would be good for you to have that to plug into whatever pace calculator you use (or Hansons charts)

Amik - I was hoping to get away with just one layer on the bottom. We'll have to see how I feel once I do my warm up.  Enjoy the 4 easy.

josh - dressing for 25 easy makes sense and I know what I'd wear for that. Thanks!  Enjoy the rest.

One more question and I swear I'm done... any tips for racing a 15k? I haven't done this distance before.

Smashy!!!

cbus - it's low wind so I think I can get by without the balaclava.  Smile And then I can wear sunglasses.  Regarding the 5k.  I have a very hard time replicating 5k pace/effort outside a race environment. I think it's worth the $25 to do it as a race. You won't push yourself as hard in a time trial. And yeah, racing a 5k is awful and not fun but I think it would be good for you to have that to plug into whatever pace calculator you use (or Hansons charts)

One more question and I swear I'm done... any tips for racing a 15k? I haven't done this distance before.

Onemile, I promise I'll consider considering racing a 5k Joking. As far as racing a 15k, I've never done one before either. But I always liked the idea of taking a race by stages. So maybe break it up into three 5K sections? Then you might approach the race as a whole as a long 10k, and go hard through stages 1 and 2, and hang on for 3. Or, as a short HM, and start more conservatively in stage 1, then take it down a notch for stage 2, and then go really hard for stage 3. Maybe three 5k sections gives too much distance to the start; so maybe break it up into 1 mile, then 2-7, 8-finish? I dunno, just throwing some ideas out there... Joking