Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

onemile - never ran a 15k before. Might do one on 2/23 if schedule allows it. I was going to do mine at HMP sicne 2 weeks before my HM. Are you doing any Hms before full? I like cbus' idea too. Another suggestion run 10 seconds faster than HMP.

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Congrats on all the great runs, everyone!

Today was an SRD for me, but I did 5 miles recovery- making this 4 runs in a row for me.  Time to take tomorrow off.  I signed up for a 90 minute Spin class...which should work out considering that we are getting the storm overnight tonight, and its going to be slippery.  It was wet and rainy and snowy out this morning, so i am glad it was a short run.  Calf/ shin is bugging me a bit, so the next 24 hours should make it feel a bit better.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

cmb4314

Morning everyone!  Congrats on all the solid runs!

I was supposed to run 4 recovery miles today.  I was thinking I'd get up early and do it, but last night I was so tired after staying up so late cleaning on Wednesday night that I couldn't bring myself to set the alarm early.  I won't have time between work and our dinner reservation, so I probably wouldn't get around to having time until 8:00 tonight, after a bunch of food and wine.  On top of that, my IT band is a little bit sore from the intervals the other day, and I'm in taper.

So to heck with it.  I don't think a 4 mile recovery run is going to doom my marathon.  I'm going to go drink wine and eat dessert and go to bed early Smile

Onemile - I agree with Josh, I'd dress like I was going for an easy run in slightly warmer weather.  I'd also recommend making sure that your clothing is adjustable - I like wearing full zip jackets for racing/tempo runs in cold weather, because then I can open them up and let air in if I get hot, and it's even easy to take off if absolutely necessary.  I'd also be prepared to spend some time carrying your gloves and hat - I know that I always need them early on in races or else I'm really uncomfortable, but after a while I end up carrying them.

My wildly inconsistent PRs:

5k: 24:36 (10/20/12)  

10k: 52:01 (4/28/12)  

HM: 1:50:09 (10/27/12)

Marathon: 4:19:11 (10/2/2011) 

Rusk Runner

onemile, I raced with temps in the teens and used compression shorts under my tights, UA heat gear shirt, superpower hoodie (lightweight), Brooks beanie over head and ears, Koppel lightweight gloves, and merino wool socks.  Did not weigh me down and I was sweating pretty good after a 4 mile race.

Cbus, pace smart for 2 miles, re-evaluate very quickly after the 2 miles, go hard if possible for a half mile more, and then go for broke.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

onemile

cbus - I hope you do a 5k because I think you'll surprise yourself.  I like the idea of breaking the race up into segments. In my last half my goal was to make it to mile 10 and then run a 5k.  Maybe for this one I should run a hard 10k followed by a hard 5k Smile

jedi - I do have a half planned for March 24th, 4 weeks before my marathon.  I feel like I know how to race a half but a 15k is new.  My plan was to try to run 10 seconds faster that goal HMP (8:00). So around 7:50. I don't know if I can do that but I will try.  My actual HMP is 8:07.

Sprinkles - enjoy the spin class. Hope your shin/calf feels better.

CMB - I plan to skip the gloves completely because I ALWAYS end up carrying them. My hands tend to get really hot when I warm up so I just tuck them into my sleeves.  And a jacket with a zipper sounds good.

onemile

Thanks. I was thinking to do shorts over my tights but I do have a little pair of compression shorts I could try too.

onemile, I raced with temps in the teens and used compression shorts under my tights, UA heat gear shirt, superpower hoodie (lightweight), Brooks beanie over head and ears, Koppel lightweight gloves, and merino wool socks.  Did not weigh me down and I was sweating pretty good after a 4 mile race.

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

cbus - I hope you do a 5k because I think you'll surprise yourself.  I like the idea of breaking the race up into segments. In my last half my goal was to make it to mile 10 and then run a 5k.  Maybe for this one I should run a hard 10k followed by a hard 5k Smile

Onemile:  ^This.  I haven't raced a 15K, but I have raced several 10-mile races.  This is what I do.  I typically try to pick the pace half-way between HMP and 10K pace and run the first 6 miles at that pace and then go all out to the end. The last 5K or 4 miles will be as fast as you can go given the conditions and how you are feeling.  If you want to play with pace dicipline, you can start at HMP and click down 10sec/mile each mile until you reach 5K pace and run the last 5K at that pace (or something like that; sort of an in-race cutdown workout).  I can't help you with clothes for "feels like 0." For me, that is a "stay inside" day.

cbus:  I know the feeling of not wanting to pay for a race that will be over in 23 minutes.  I decided that I probably won't run a 5K this year for that very reason. One thought:  Is there a local running club near you that puts on races?  That can be an option if one exists, because at least the ones near me often put on low-key races that are free or nominal charge for members and $5-10 for non-members.  That'd get you the race atmosphere without costing you a lot of money.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

onemile

Awesome - this is what I will do. Thank you!

Onemile:  ^This.  I haven't raced a 15K, but I have raced several 10-mile races.  This is what I do.  I typically try to pick the pace half-way between HMP and 10K pace and run the first 6 miles at that pace and then go all out to the end. The last 5K or 4 miles will be as fast as you can go given the conditions and how you are feeling.  If you want to play with pace dicipline, you can start at HMP and click down 10sec/mile each mile until you reach 5K pace and run the last 5K at that pace (or something like that; sort of an in-race cutdown workout).  I can't help you with clothes for "feels like 0." For me, that is a "stay inside" day.

cbus:  I know the feeling of not wanting to pay for a race that will be over in 23 minutes.  I decided that I probably won't run a 5K this year for that very reason. One thought:  Is there a local running club near you that puts on races?  That can be an option if one exists, because at least the ones near me often put on low-key races that are free or nominal charge for members and $5-10 for non-members.  That'd get you the race atmosphere without costing you a lot of money.

cbus - OMG I will pay for your 5k. Pick one out and sign up already!  And I'm expecting Sub-22. Got that?

White Lightning

I've always been reluctant to run a 5k because running fast has always hurt me in some way.  Once I get into the interval workouts later in the cycle i'll maybe get the confidence to go for one, just don't see the point to do it during my marathon cycle.  The first 5k that I could run this year is the day before my first 20 miler.  I'd rather run that 20 fresh to make sure its successful

Onemile - I'd be wearing my tights, regular socks, long sleeve compression/wicking shirt and my nike elements jacket.  Beanie and gloves.  But I would throw on another jacket or track pants or whatever it takes to stay warm standing around and take them off right before the start, like you would for the start of a cold marathon.  I'd make sure I had something dry to change into afterwards and have someone with the car nice and toasty with some hot chocolate/tea/coffee waiting.  I did that one one of my longer runs a few weeks ago.  I stopped at my car with two miles to go and started it so when I got back, I had something warm to sit in.  As you can see, i'm a sissy when it comes to cold weather

Play the Game Hard!

Gunnie26.2

#dowork

josh - you have to run fast to get faster. That's how it works. 5k's good replacement instead of a tempo run or intervals that week. I agree with some of the other comments though paying for a race that will be done in 20min I have hard time with as does my DW.Smile. I usually won't spend more than $25 on a 5k. More than that not worth the ROI on the investment. Last year was the most 5k's I ran in one year. 3 plus a 5 miler. The first one I ran was my first one in almost a year and a half and PR'd by 1:15 and won my AG. 3 weeks later PR'd again by 30sec and won AG again too. They were good work and good confidence booster for a half i was training for which i ultimately DNS'd due to coming down with pneunomia. Definitely help you get faster. I've grown to appreciate them this past year, but half still my favorite distance as is the marathon.

I've always been reluctant to run a 5k because running fast has always hurt me in some way.  Once I get into the interval workouts later in the cycle i'll maybe get the confidence to go for one, just don't see the point to do it during my marathon cycle.  The first 5k that I could run this year is the day before my first 20 miler.  I'd rather run that 20 fresh to make sure its successful 

PR's - 5K - 20:15 (2013) | 10K - 45:14 (2011)  | 13.1 - 1:34:40 (2013)  | 26.2 - 3:40:40 (2014)

Up Next:

???

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Sheesh!  I've been too busy and had to read two pages to get back on track!

Well, they didn't leave me one donut, but two.  Should I eat the second?  I'm doing my LR tomorrow so I need the extra calories, no?

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Sheesh!  I've been too busy and had to read two pages to get back on track!

Well, they didn't leave me one donut, but two.  Should I eat the second?  I'm doing my LR tomorrow so I need the extra calories, no?

In some cultures it's considered rude not to eat both donuts (namely, all of them). Big grin

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

But they left both on my desk!

Well, too late, I already ate it, haha.

Damaris

In some cultures it's considered rude not to eat both donuts (namely, all of them). Big grin

ha

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Cbus, you have to run a 5K, it's a classic roadrace distance. The atmosphere at a small, local 5k cannot be beaten, all types of runners from local bankers and real estate people, serious runners to people "running" with little kids and dogs in sunglasses.

Our local 5k is connected with the carrot festival, but typically attracts a really strong field! Las time I ran it was 2009, I was 59 years old and ran 22:08, finishing 46th. of 149 runners, and 19th in my age group. The winner of my AG ran 16:11! The following year my time was beaten by an 80 year old- though it was Ed Whitlock, and he did set a world record.

Anyway, give it a try, it's fun.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.