Sub-4 Marathon Group

February 2013 (Read 64 times)

Smashy!!!

Hey all,

6 Strength miles @ 7:43, but that has to be because of the way RA rounds up because I was around 7:42 for most of my miles. Anyway, + wu/cd = 11 mi total. I ran into some pretty strong headwinds, so that made it tougher than it had to be. But the workout is definitely not as tough as the Speed, since my lungs didn't feel like they were exploding. But thats not to say it was easy. At GHMp - :10, I was working pretty hard, and was glad when it was over. But ive learned a few things. Im gonna zero in on 7:52 for goal pace. Ill do my Tempos at 8:12, and when they go up to 7, i might throw in a couple of goal paced miles. I think these workouts will make me stronger on race day, so i wont be surprised if i do more than 7:52 on race day. Onemile, you really have to show some pace discipline on these workouts because coming off Speed, you'll have a lot of legs, and it will be tempting to let your pace drop.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

RV:  I hope you got into Chicago!  Lots of people were reporting problems with the site crashing!

MDawg:  So great that you are running pain free!

CBus/One mile:  Good luck with your strength and interval runs!

Roll:  Cute kids and a nice looking watermelon!  I killed a cactus once so yeah, I don't have a green pinkie, much less a green thumb!

Josh:  Funny, I hate living in humidity!  That was a nice tempo run and I am glad you didn't have problems with your hip or ITB...jealous of the hot tub.  Stay safe in the snow storm!

Docket:  Enjoy Chicago!

Simon:  Holy crap that's some expensive housing.  We are so spoiled in the midwest....I payed over $100,000 less for my approx 3000 square foot house than that little condo lists for!

I had the most fabulous speedwork session this afternoon!  I had taken the day off so DH and I could meet a friend at the track but since DS was sick, I had to take him to the doctor to get steroids for his croup.  So, I ended up going to the gym instead of the track (just wasn't up for the 20 mph wind thing!).  I did 2 mile warm-up, 6 x 800 @ 7:13/mile (actually did the last one @ 7:09/mile) with 400 recoveries and then a 1.5 mile cool-down for a total of 8.  I just felt really strong the entire time and never felt like it was a struggle...yay!  Then I did my PT exercises and stretches like a good little girl!

Question of the day (I always have questions don't I?):  Trying to figure out my schedule for the rest of the week.  We are supposed to have SRD tomorrow, tempo Thursday, easy Friday, long Saturday, and easy Sunday.  However, I was considering doing an easy run tomorrow to make up for missing Sunday's run...or should I just rest the ITB and forget about the missed mileage?  Then, we are registered for the trail race on Saturday and I feel like we should do it if possible.  The RD is a super nice guy who has transferred our registration twice already because of my Aunt's passing and my ITB.  This is the last race in the series and isn't super hilly.  So, was thinking of doing easy mileage on Thursday and Friday and then running the race Saturday with added miles for warm-up and cool-down to get to 10.  What do you guys think?  My two hesitations are my ITB (which felt great today) and missing the tempo run.  I have been having a difficult time completing my tempos so maybe I need to keep it in?  Anyway, I know that's a long post but would love opinions.  Have a fabulous day Donuts!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Ball of Fury

CBus:  You snuck in there while I was typing.  Great job on the strength workout!

RVD, it took me an hour and 21 minutes, but I'm in for Chicago.

Great!  Yeah, I was getting traumatized before it finally went through.  Now find yourself a place to stay.  The Congress Plaza is not the fanciest, but it is the most convenient.  If you stay there be sure to get a lake facing room.  The view is great.  (Look at my facebook page.  That pic was taken from my room right after the marathon a couple of years ago.)

onemile

Ami - I would skip the tempo and not feel bad. Hansons actually recommends deleting the tempo run on a week when you race anyway.

Cbus - nice job on the intervals!  I'm curious as to how mine will feel next week. I can see it would be tempting to go too fast. Especially since I've been doing some of my MP miles in the 8:25-8:28ish range so this will be close to that but with rests between the miles.  So I can see being tempted to hammer it.  I'm wondering if I'll find it easier than the 5k intervals.  I wouldn't mind easier right about now.

mdawg87

I've done the Silver Comet half a couple of times and last year they started a full on the same date. (For 2013 it is Oct 26th.)  It is 13 days after Chicago.  I'm thinking of doing it.  That is where I'm doing my long runs anyway.  Last year it only had 33 people (capped at 250).  Average time was 4:28:39.  It might be fun just to run it as a long run.  (Hell, with so few people I could win my age group. Joking)  Any chance you guys might be interested?

Very possibly...for the half at least.  We've not really made race plans yet.  Kinda waiting to see how my injury recovery plays out.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Josh and Roll, cost of housing in Texas seems really reasonable compared with Canada. (My son is looking for a condo on the subway line in Toronto, one bedroom, 650-700sq ft, seems like $400,000 is the price range.)

craziness. you can expect to pay between $100 and $110 per square foot in the 'burbs of Houston. Inner city, if not in the ghetto, are more but the suburbs are still reasonable.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

Wow!  SRD for me and a busy day at work, but as usual the donuts have been busy both here and on the road!  Lots of good running going on by all (almost makes me feel guilty for taking a rest day).

Cbus -  So glad to see your ITB not holding you back any longer!  Keep pushing!

Amik - + 1 to what onemile said but... should you try to settle into the plan after some of these initial commitments?

Onemile - when is your 3 x 1600's?  I think those are scheduled for like the week before taper on Pfitz.  I am hoping to get that done this time around.

For all of you folks who tried and succeeded in getting into chitown,  Congrats and enjoy the race!

Simon - Those prices are astronomical compared to us folks living out here in the boonies.

Roll - good looking garden, and as I am sure you have heard millions of times, good looking child also!  Came home and my 10 year old had a fauxhawk.  Gotta love the kids.

Glad I got the intervals done yesterday, as it was cold, windy, and pouring when I woke up this morning.  12 on tap for tomorrow.  I am scheduled for a tune up race on Saturday but there is nothing in the area that doesnt require travel and of course money.  I will probably go out and do a hard tempo/time trial effort instead.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Indy and Onemile:  thanks!  And yes, Indy I will settle in. The only other race I have planned is a 10K in place of a 6 mile tempo because I am hoping to get under 48 (42 sec off PR) to move up a seeding level for my goal HM.  And seriously, you deserve a SRD!!!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, everybody!  Kudos to Cbus on his first strength session.

RVD, knowing my husband, we won't get a room until September.

Damaris

Trail Monster

Great running all!

I did 1 mile warm up, 4 x 1 mile at 5k pace with 1/2 mile recovery, and 1 mile cool down for 7.5 miles at 9:10 average. Thrilled with that but sore as hell! I also signed up for Cleveland marathon on May 19. Yippee for #7 being on the calendar before I even run #6!

2013 races:

3/17 Shamrock Marathon

4/20 North Coast 24 Hour

7/27 Burning RIver 100M

8/24 Baker 50M

10/5 Oil Creek (distance to be determined)

My Blog

Brands I Heart:

FitFluential

INKnBURN

Altra Zero Drop

Smashy!!!

Ami, +1 to Onemile and Indi re the race. Also, I wouldn't try to make up the lost Sunday miles. Just move on. And like Indi said, try to settle into the plan.

Onemile, I think you'll find the Strength workouts much easier. You're gonna be running them 1:00 slower than your Speed. And youre right, the recovery intervals make it easier. That is why you gotta be disciplined on the pace, not only on the Strength workouts but also on your Tempos. If you run either one too fast, you defeat the purpose of the whole thing. I was reading the section on the Strength workouts, and the author stresses over and over again not to go too fast, no matter how tempting. He also hammers home the idea that starting with the Strength period, everything you do is focused on race prep. I recommend reading the section again before you start your first Strength run for a good sober reminder. Hope your last Speed workout went well!

Banshee, killer workout. Anytime I see 5k pace, I cringe.

Indi, thanks.

The weather is getting ugly right now, so I'm glad tomorrow is a SRD.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Be back for personals

tonight: first 2.2 miles were with the pup monster.

8:55

8:51

8:52

8:10

7:53

7:30

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Toronto sounds a lot like New York City Smile

I haven't been around much because work is nuts, but I'm getting the  miles in - I haven't had time to spin, which is a bit frustrating, but I'm sure this time shall pass too - with 47 miles scheduled this week I doubt I need to worry about it.

Today's run was 9 mi with 5 at half marathon pace, but I only ended up doing 4 at half marathon pace because I didn't read the workout correctly.  Splits are below -avg pace 8:55 - that felt pretty easy too.  I'm confident this plan is making me a better runner.

1 9:26.1 1.00 9:26
                              2 8:56.7 1.00 8:57
                              3 8:21.6 1.00 8:22
                              4 8:08.5 1.00 8:09
                              5 8:12.2 1.00 8:12
                              6 8:28.5 1.00 8:28
                              7 9:06.2 1.00 9:06
                              8 9:38.2 1.00 9:38
                              9 9:54.7 1.00 9:55
                              10 :04.2 0.01 12:09

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

onemile

Indi - I just did the second 3x1600 workout tonight.  And now I'm done with the 5k paced stuff. Yay! Smile  Enjoy your 12 tomorrow.

Banshee - I don't know how you can manage that 4th interval.  Nice job!

Cbus - yes, you're right. I know now is the time to get focused and reign in my pacing.  I will re-read for sure.

Rollcast - nice progression run!

Sprinkles - Nice job on the HMP miles!

Just completed my final Speed workout for Hansons.  3x1600 meters at 5k pace.  All three intervals came out to 7:09. How's that for consistency? lol  Now onto strength. Woohoo!