Sub-4 Marathon Group

Welcome! (Read 518 times)

Ball of Fury

Happy birthday, akalei and Dreamn!

AmiK: Welcome!  Are you following a plan?  If so, which one?  What is your average weekly mileage, and what pace do you run your long runs, recovery runs and general aerobic runs?  We are happy to answer any questions you might have.  When you get closer to the actual race and start going crazy with taper madness, we can try to suggest race strategy, paces and goal finishing times that line up with the training you have done.

Josh, Sra, Docket, and others (I know LCandia was also running St. Jude, but I haven't seen her over here yet), good luck this weekend.  I have a HM tomorrow; I have no idea how I'll do.  I'm thinking of just going for it to see if I can break 1:40 (which is all contingent on the PF behaving).  McMillan says I can based on my 10K PR, (his predictions usually all line up for me for HM and under) but the 10K was on a perfect day on a flat course, so that might be a stretch.  PR is my B goal.  And if the PF doesn't behave, C goal is running the whole thing.

Thank you for the welcomes everyone!  I am following a version of HH Intermediate 2, with some added miles (no runs under 5 miles, etc...).  Wanted to do a PFitz plan but when we (meaning DH and I) started this training cycle, our base was only around 30 mpw, so we thought HH would be better at this time.  Anyway, I have been averaging around 45 mpw, with a peak of 49 so far, but should be over 50 the next couple of weeks.  A general easy run is around 9 min/mile for me, with long runs at 9:30/mile.  I know I should probably be running slower but truthfully, they feel pretty slow to me and I have have a very hard time running much under 9:30-9:35.  I did 19 2 weeks ago and average right at 9:30 with mile 19 being my fastest mile, but it was a pretty painful run just from an achy joint standpoint.  Today, I did 9.25 (ran out of time before work) at 9:01 as a GMP run and it was very easy.  Tomorrow is our first 20 miler so we will see how that goes.  I would love any and all advice you have!!  My biggest problem with races is that I continually go out too fast and then completely bonk, although I am getting better at this.  At my last 1/2, which was Nov 11, I was feeling really, really good and reached mile 11 at exactly 1:30....totally died at mile 12 and it took my 21 minutes to run the last 2.1 Angry  I REALLY want to avoid this for my first full!!  

Good luck to all those racing this weekend and again, thank you for the welcomes and I am excited to be part of the group!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Thank you for the welcomes everyone!  I am following a version of HH Intermediate 2, with some added miles (no runs under 5 miles, etc...).  Wanted to do a PFitz plan but when we (meaning DH and I) started this training cycle, our base was only around 30 mpw, so we thought HH would be better at this time.  Anyway, I have been averaging around 45 mpw, with a peak of 49 so far, but should be over 50 the next couple of weeks.  A general easy run is around 9 min/mile for me, with long runs at 9:30/mile.  I know I should probably be running slower but truthfully, they feel pretty slow to me and I have have a very hard time running much under 9:30-9:35.  I did 19 2 weeks ago and average right at 9:30 with mile 19 being my fastest mile, but it was a pretty painful run just from an achy joint standpoint.  Today, I did 9.25 (ran out of time before work) at 9:01 as a GMP run and it was very easy.  Tomorrow is our first 20 miler so we will see how that goes.  I would love any and all advice you have!!  My biggest problem with races is that I continually go out too fast and then completely bonk, although I am getting better at this.  At my last 1/2, which was Nov 11, I was feeling really, really good and reached mile 11 at exactly 1:30....totally died at mile 12 and it took my 21 minutes to run the last 2.1 Angry  I REALLY want to avoid this for my first full!!  

Good luck to all those racing this weekend and again, thank you for the welcomes and I am excited to be part of the group!

Amik, I think HH 2 is a very smart choice. The more I compare plans, the less i like Pfitz (don't throw stones). Pfitz, IMO, is a recipe for injury for many people, and the workouts seem to me kinda without purpose except to be hard. Assuming you have sub-4 speed, I think there's nothing wrong with doing some runs in that 9:30-9:35 range (maybe once a week) or doing a run a week at GMP. Just make sure you get plenty of miles (maybe the rest of your runs) in that easy range of 10:00-10:30 (there a ton of physiological benefits that come from running at these easy paces that will be needed for the marathon). And when the legs are dead, don't be afraid to drop a run at 11:30 to give yourself a chance to get recovered. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Strider24

Run Strider Run!

Happy Belated Birthday Akalei and Dreamn!

Good luck this weekend Josh, Sra, Docket, Flinders, and anyone else missed!  Excited to read your RR!

6 slow miles on the TM this week was all I did.  Still in hiding, but am starting to get a bit more excited (I think it has to do with 2013 being around the corner).

BTW, for anyone that likes the Asics GT-2160/2170 (recall there are a few in our group), Dick's has them on "Cyber week" sale for $80 and free shipping.  

Have a nice weekend!

PR:  47:52 (10K), 1:48:17 (HM), 4:01:42 (FM)

Rusk Runner

I started uploading my GPS data for this week as an experiment.  Feel free to look at my training log anytime you wish.  I wonder if that will make it easier when I post?

Amik - I have to say that it is obvious you have speed, but are needing a boost in endurance.  My last marathon was a 3:46.  My long runs on average were run at a 9:30 pace.  My easy runs were run at 9:45 to 10:00 and some times slower.  You will gain great strides in endurance buy running slow and easy on average.  Speed up for tempos, intervals, GMP runs, etc... but slow down your easy efforts.  If it pains you to run slow, you are probably overstriding.  Just take it easy, and concentrate on higher cadence, smaller steps.  You will hear of many an elite athlete that will tell you to slow down in general to gain endurance.  As far as beating the habit of starting out too fast, just concentrate on the memory of that last 1.1 mile of your half marathon everytime you start a race.

Cbus - LOL.  Its the weekend, so early today was feet on pavement @ 5:30.  Out early enough to great all of the hunters making their way into the woods.

9 miles (recovery effort) @ 9:45 avg pace. 

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Ball of Fury

Thank you both for the advice!  I know I definitely need to work more on slowing down for my easy runs and I promise I will try harder!!  I knew when we started this training plan we didn't really have the aerobic base to "race" a marathon and we probably should have waited another 6 months or so (have only been running a year...our first longer race was the WDW 1/2 in January).  But, we were lured in by that damn spinning 20th anniversary medal!!  As much as I would like to go sub 4, I would rather enjoy the race and then work on adding weekly miles so we can do a higher mileage plan for our next marathon.

Smashy!!!

Thank you both for the advice!  I know I definitely need to work more on slowing down for my easy runs and I promise I will try harder!!  I knew when we started this training plan we didn't really have the aerobic base to "race" a marathon and we probably should have waited another 6 months or so (have only been running a year...our first longer race was the WDW 1/2 in January).  But, we were lured in by that damn spinning 20th anniversary medal!!  As much as I would like to go sub 4, I would rather enjoy the race and then work on adding weekly miles so we can do a higher mileage plan for our next marathon.

I forgot to say: I agree with Indi that without disciplined pacing, all the training will be for naught. Marathoning is 100% training. The other 100% is pacing. 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

Ball of Fury

I forgot to say: I agree with Indi that without disciplined pacing, all the training will be for naught. Marathoning is 100% training. The other 100% is pacing. 

Thank you!  I definitely need to work on pacing...I finally bought a Garmin so hopefully that will help me learn to control my paces better!

akalei

Welcome AmiK! You sound a lot like me with your pacing, and with the going too fast! Smile I'm a horrible example and everyone else will yell at me for this, but I continued to do my training runs "too fast," then wound up with a comfortable 3:51:56 at Steamtown (my 2nd marathon).  I think it was really an indicia that I can probably go harder.  I never woke up sore after a long run and did all of them about a 9:30 pace, with the exception of some miles at about a 9:00-9:10 (I was following Pfitz, which calls for a few miles of several LR's at MP).  What's most important is listening to your body.  And since it's your first marathon, listen very closely! I will say that there was a HUGE difference in training and how much pain I was in after training runs between my first and second marathons, too, so there's that.  Again, listen to your body, don't underestimate yourself, but don't overestimate yourself, either!  (Fine line, huh?)

Pup and I did 5 today, were going to do 6, he jumped in the lake after ducks.  Go figure.  I was OK with it, though, since he, DH, and I are hoping to do 12 tomorrow.  As much as I've been thinking of just going for it and doing the full at Shamrock, I've decided to definitely stick with the half (well, Dolphin Challenge) for the sake of keeping mileage down for a few months and sorting out womanly issues brought on by running too much and evidently eating too little.  Which I don't understand because I'm constantly eating, but whatever.  It needs to be fixed.  Gonna come back at Wineglass next fall and aim for that BQ!

Dreamn--since we do all the same races, and are evidently twins 3 years apart, are you in for Shamrock? Smile

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

akalei

P.S. I just realized I wrote a novel.  Sorry guys.

My PR's! 5K: 21:54 | 10M: 1:16:55 | HM: 1:43:40 | Full: 3:51:56

2013: BQ or bust!

http://justalongfortherun.blogspot.com

Happy to be running

Hi! I wanted to join up and say hello! I am yet to run my first marathon but I do have a goal of going sub 4 when I do.

My name is Terry I am 51 yo male and I started runnning in March 2011. Once I target a marathon that I feel I will be ready for a sub 4 attempt I will post it here.

New runner base building for my first marathon 

I have run 2 half marathons 1:52:42 & 1:58:00

Ball of Fury

Welcome AmiK! You sound a lot like me with your pacing, and with the going too fast! Smile I'm a horrible example and everyone else will yell at me for this, but I continued to do my training runs "too fast," then wound up with a comfortable 3:51:56 at Steamtown (my 2nd marathon).  I think it was really an indicia that I can probably go harder.  I never woke up sore after a long run and did all of them about a 9:30 pace, with the exception of some miles at about a 9:00-9:10 (I was following Pfitz, which calls for a few miles of several LR's at MP).  What's most important is listening to your body.  And since it's your first marathon, listen very closely! I will say that there was a HUGE difference in training and how much pain I was in after training runs between my first and second marathons, too, so there's that.  Again, listen to your body, don't underestimate yourself, but don't overestimate yourself, either!  (Fine line, huh?)

Pup and I did 5 today, were going to do 6, he jumped in the lake after ducks.  Go figure.  I was OK with it, though, since he, DH, and I are hoping to do 12 tomorrow.  As much as I've been thinking of just going for it and doing the full at Shamrock, I've decided to definitely stick with the half (well, Dolphin Challenge) for the sake of keeping mileage down for a few months and sorting out womanly issues brought on by running too much and evidently eating too little.  Which I don't understand because I'm constantly eating, but whatever.  It needs to be fixed.  Gonna come back at Wineglass next fall and aim for that BQ!

Dreamn--since we do all the same races, and are evidently twins 3 years apart, are you in for Shamrock? Smile

Thank you so much!  I am trying to learn to listen to my body but I have a very hard time in the early stages of a race when I feel so good, ya know?  There is definitely more to running races than just running and I am trying my best to learn!  I am hoping to BQ sometime in the next 2 years but we will see how that goes!  Thank you all so much for the advice and welcomes!

Welcome, AmiK!  Sounds like you are getting some good training under your belt and good advice here.

onemile, thanks for revealing your training log.  I enjoy looking at how folks train vs. race.  You are one example of how training slow pays off.  You've got some good mileage there.

Strider, thanks for the info!  I know what I will be getting for Christmas. Smile

i ran 6 on the tm yesterday and today is my usual long run day, but the weather is supposed to be relatively nice tomorrow so I may juggle some things around.

Happy running, everyone!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Welcome, wild relic!

PRs:

5k: 25:05 (Sep 2011)     10k: 51:57 (Aug 2012)     half: 1:56:46 (May 2013)     full: 4:09:46 (Jan 2016)

Rusk Runner

hey paula, we are all posting on December donuts for this month.  See you there?

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

Hallo, my name is Simon, and I am mostly a half marathon runner, planning to move up in the next year.

I am 61 years old and have not done any serious training in the last three years, but plan to gradually rebuild some mileage

on which to base a Pfitz training programme.

Looking forward to getting lots of advice from those who have been there and done it.

PBs since age 60:  5k- 24:36, 10k - 47:17. Half Marathon- 1:42:41.

10 miles (unofficial) 1:16:44.