Sub-4 Marathon Group

June 2013 (Read 44 times)

Ball of Fury

Cbus -  I would be happier with more mileage than that, but that is me.  You know yourself pretty darn good, and you are also making good fitness gains lately.  So... if you think you cand talk yourself down should you feel yourself overtraining, I would say go with the advanced to start.  Worst thing that happens is you gain some fitness above the beginners level plan since the speed is up front and early in the advanced program.  Keep you 5K paces honest, and be careful with that.  Those higher pace runs are stressfull on your muscles and ligaments.  If you start questioning whether of not you think you can move into next week, it would probably be a good indicator to step down.

Roll - I know nothing area rides.  I look forward to being able to do a century ride at some point, and if it is organized, so much the better.  If I delve into the triathalon arena, I think I will just immediately jump into a half ironman.  Not that I would do good at it, but I would like to experience it.  My legs are gonna need to get alot stronger.

Spent a little time in the small pool with the kids today.  After that I changed out the stem on the bike and took it out for 18.25 miles.  Much better fit now, and I upped the pace just a tad.  Had a great ride.  I need to take a slow and easy ride tomorrow and if the weather holds for me I am thinking about doing 50 miles on Sunday.  I dont care if it rains, but a torrential downpour will keep me home.

Indy:  When we lived in Indy, DH was a member of CIBA (central IN bicycling association) and he did their rides 2-3 times per week.  I am not sure how far south they go, but I do remember him riding down in Brown Co and Bloomington.  The website is www.cibaride.org if you want to check it out.  He also did RAIN (Ride Across Indiana) and loved it!

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Smashy!!!

Ami, that's great news about the hip. Hopefully you've turned the corner.

Sprink, the Sayonara is great. If you like the Rider, then I think you'd love this shoe.

Flinders, if you get a pair of the Sayonara, I think those four pair will continue to stay in their boxes.

Mdawg, Onemile, Indi, thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking Advanced because of the first four weeks. I want there to be a difference from my usual running routine and MRT, I guess is my thought. I'm already running 6 days a week (except the one week I was traveling from LA). And I'm not as worried about overtraining--mostly because what I thought was overtraining last time, I'm pretty sure, was really the illness I had. But I took another look at the plans, and I don't think I'm ready to hit 60. So I'm thinking I'll just do some homemade quality stuff during the first four weeks of Beginners. But really wish they put in an Intermediate plan.

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

onemile

Mdawg, Onemile, Indi, thanks for the thoughts. I was thinking Advanced because of the first four weeks. I want there to be a difference from my usual running routine and MRT, I guess is my thought. I'm already running 6 days a week (except the one week I was traveling from LA). And I'm not as worried about overtraining--mostly because what I thought was overtraining last time, I'm pretty sure, was really the illness I had. But I took another look at the plans, and I don't think I'm ready to hit 60. So I'm thinking I'll just do some homemade quality stuff during the first four weeks of Beginners. But really wish they put in an Intermediate plan.

You know, I was going to suggest you do the Beginners plan with some added mileage.  Maybe a hybrid between the two plans.

Didn't get to run until after 9:00PM tonight. Finished 7 miles at an easy recovery pace.

CBus - I am leaning seriously toward the Hanson Beginners. Not that it would influence your choice but, you wouldn't be alone. My MRT starts in Sept. For what it's worth, Beginners with additional miles/quality in the first 4 weeks sounds like a good path IMO.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Hello from SF!  Phoning it in from a small hotel room shared with wife & 3 sleeping kids.  9 hours in the car today

All you easterners and mids with your crazy weather. I think I'll stick with our earthquakes.

Docket - if you hear some strange guy yelling "Donuts!" at you on the bridge, it might be me

Still not sure about race day strategy. Driving around today looking at the hills spooked me A bit. But it will befun

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Ugh.  Fortunately, the weather in SF is great.  Sorry about yours!

Hi, guys.  Busy day today but I ran 2 miles with hubby.

Indi, wishing you luck with the MRI.

Hope everybody is doing well.

Who's with me? Docket, lets do this!

Damaris

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Awesome!  Will be looking for you.  I will be wearing a bright pink marathon maniac shirt And rock and roll arm warmers (black with a skull on top), if that helps.

Hello from SF!  Phoning it in from a small hotel room shared with wife & 3 sleeping kids.  9 hours in the car today

All you easterners and mids with your crazy weather. I think I'll stick with our earthquakes.

Docket - if you hear some strange guy yelling "Donuts!" at you on the bridge, it might be me

Still not sure about race day strategy. Driving around today looking at the hills spooked me A bit. But it will befun

Damaris

Smashy!!!

Dark and DR, good luck in SF! Have fun, and smash it! So jealous, as I love that city.

mdawg87

8 easy miles this morning.  At the airport waiting to fly back to Atlanta.  Will be back though in either July or August...or maybe both.  Good luck to all racers this weekend!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

Streets & Rocket - good luck in SF. Get a crab sandwhich for me while you're there.

MDawg - racking up those frequent flyer miles

5 brutally thick, humid miles this afternoon. I was somewhat attacked by a couple of large dogs that were off their leashes. The owner was at least being a Good Samaritan and picking up the litter along our nature preserve but the dogs full on attacked. Minor injuries, no stitches but I think the dog may never charge another stranger. Sucks being a dog lover and having to defend yourself from one. Oh well, feel goad about the run and forget the rest.

Stay safe doughnuts and ignore the doughnut holes.

PR's : HM 1:51:15  -  5K 21:27

Rusk Runner

I know what you are saying Roll.  I have put dogs permanently down and I tend to attack back when dogs do that crap.  I hate to do it, but I will.

16 miles recovery on the bike.  Shooting for 50 tomorrow.

Amik - I looked into the RAIN ride.  I will probably do that next year.  It looks like fun, and 160 miles in a day is definately and endurance event.

PRs...5K - 20:36, 4mile - 26:15, 13.1 - 1:32, 26.2 - 3:42

Just Run!!!

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Cbus: I looked at Hansons today and was thinking I might use it for my spring marathon because it peaks in the 60s (Pfitz peaks at 55).  I dont want to do a Pfitz plan that goes up to 70, but I think I want to challenge myself with higher mileage...we'll see, I'm on week 2 of training and still running in the high 30s...

Dark and Docket: KICK THOSE HILLS IN THE @$$!  GOOD LUCK

Mdawg : Nice 8!

Rollcast: I hear ya on the weather- it was COLD yesterday and now its humid and hot again.

Indi: My husband mountain bikes and I found myself looking at some sexy road bikes today in the bike store.  When we move someplace with trails that are conducive to biking and mountain biking, I'm definitely thinking about getting one.

Me: Nearly peed myself when I realized I was the only one on a wooded trail - ran back out and was like OMG GOING TO DIE...so I decided I was being a stupid city mouse and bucked up and ran 10 of the hilliest miles of my life- avg pace of 9:00 flat (middle of GA Range) .  I 'll take the pace given the 80 degree temps and crazy hills.  So glad I finally got that run done.  I'm going to an asphalt trail tomorrow though because this one was pretty rocky and obstacly in parts.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Evening all,

Ran 5 today. LR tomorrow.

Roll, thanks for the vote. Can't wait to see what you can do with Hansons.

Sprink, im not sure I'm ready for 60. So I'll stick with Beginners. I guess I'm kind of conservative (or wimpy).

Mdawg, safe travels.

onemile

7.8 for me tonight. Pretty humid but not too hot. There was a huge snapping turtle in the middle of my trail.  Smile

To add the to Hansons discussion... I was pretty comfortable running 50mpw with 1 speedwork / week and I found Hansons to be much harder than it looked on paper. The first 7-8 weeks were pretty rough for me and I wasn't expecting that.  It got better after that but just a warning that it is harder than it looks IMO.

White Lightning

Hey everyone, back from my mad spring rush.  Business is crazy busy which is great so I finally hired on some more help to give me a bit more free time.  Looking forward to getting back on my feet tomorrow.  Still not too hot up here yet, highs in the 50's and 60's so some nice running weather finally.  Hope all is well with everyone and will try to do some catching up.

Play the Game Hard!