Sub-4 Marathon Group

December Donuts (Read 569 times)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

QOTD: Treadmill is harder for me.  I think its a mental battle more or less.  I get bored without the visual stimuli and wind in my hair, as cheesy as it sounds. Although I have done up to 12 miles on a treadmill, I find that 4-5 is the limit before I want to scream.  I set it to a 1.5-2 incline for most of the run.  As long as I don't exclusively train on it I haven't noticed any negative effects on my training (but do we really notice negative effects or is it just that we don't perform to the best of our ability...pondering?)

On the schedule for today 6 miles; spin; weights.  Getting our Christmas tree tonight and then wrapping presents etc.  It's pretty gloomy in NYC right now.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

mdawg87

8 easy miles this morning at 10:09 pace.  About halfway through I felt my right Achilles and calf tug a bit.  I was able to finish the run, bit it remained sore throughout.  I iced it when I got home along with normal stretching.  I'm wearing my compression sleeve too.  It's still sore and I can feel it when I walk.  I really hope I haven't strained it too badly right at the beginning of marathon training.  I'll see how it feels tomorrow and make the decision if I can run on it or not.  Argh!

sprinkles:  gloomy in Atlanta too.

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

QOTD:  I don't really use a TM.  I have access to one at my gym, but if I'm there I'm much more likely to go swim for an hour.  I think last winter was the last time I ran on one.  DC doesn't get too bad in the winter; there might be a couple of days here and there that I don't want to be outside, but they typically are a one-off thing.  The rare times I use a TM, a half hour or forty-five minutes seems to be my max; I just get bored with anything longer.

I did 7.9 @ 9:02 this morning; it was 50 and overcast, with light fog.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

BelRunner

QOTD:  Treadmill is physically easier but mentally harder than outside.  I've made myself go up to about 8 on the treadmill, but I don't usually do more than 4 or 5.  I also try to run outside if at all possible and only have to use the treadmill occasionally in the winter.  

A great easy 8 for me today at 9:24.  It was one of those runs where you feel like you could go forever and you remember why you do this.  Cold though-mid 30s.  I got to rediscover which parts of my 8 mile loop get sun and which don't by noticing which parts were still icy from the snow yesterday.  

Jenny

PRs: 5K-23:08 (10/12), 10K-48:15 (4/12), 13.1-1:49:33 (10/12), 26.2-4:09:21 (5/12)

White Lightning

Well, you learn to put up with the TM on days like today, -9F windchill.

Zoe - I was seriously thinking about Victoria until I booked work for that weekend yesterday.  So the search continues for an end of October to November marathon.  

Play the Game Hard!

Ball of Fury

Morning donuts!  Just a quick update for today because we are running out the door.  Finished 3rd for females at the trail race this morning so not too bad...I was in the lead for the first 1.5 miles, but 2 super speedy women passed me and I knew I couldn't keep up with them.  They finished about 2 minutes ahead!  Will write a full RR and try to get to personals later.

PRs:  5K 22:59, 10K 46:54,HM: 1:51:15

Canuck

Congratulations on the third place Ami! Josh, that is cold. It's going down to about 30 tonight here, which is chilly for Vancouver. We may get a few flurries. Spin class and weights this morning and I will run some easy miles this evening.

PRs: 47:54 (10K); 1:46:36 (HM); 3:50:52 (FM)

Recovering from injured knee (PCL/Lateral Meniscus)

White Lightning

Amik - Way to go on 3rd place!!!

mdawg/bell/flinders - Nice runs

Me - An easy 3 miles on the TM this afternoon at 10:08.  Garmin quit working on me after first mile and started working mile three.  Weird, just shut off and turned on to the welcome screen and froze for ten minutes.

Play the Game Hard!

Docket_Rocket

Former Bad Ass

Great job, Ami!!!

I decided on a URD.  Migraine and nausea.  Napping sounds better.

Damaris

Smashy!!!

HEy all, 

Got in 8 @ 9:29. Felt great. No ITBS at all. Haven't felt this good in a long time. I found a great yoga routine for the hips on YouTube, and did that for 45 minutes. I really think the yoga is helping a lot. thanks for the tip. 

Ami, congrats on the race! 

Mdawg, argh! Hate to hear about the calf acting up again. Hopefully it's nothing. 

Flinders, Bel, great run! 

Josh, try the hard reset on the Garmin. 

Docket, feel better!

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

SprinklesRunner

Whippet

Mdawg- hope icing helps or something! Feel better

flinders- sounds like we have the same weather (I'm in NYC)

bel- that's so cold! Good running in it though.

josh- you make bel's weather look toasty

amik- nice place!

docket- feel better 

cbus- yay for the ITBS feeling better

excellent run for me today- 6 miles @ 8:20 pace (50 min)... Too fast for marathon training, but my mileage is low right now . Followed it up with spin class.  Kelly Ripa was in my class! She is beautiful and also very nice in person.

13.1: 1:45 | 26.2: 3:55

Smashy!!!

Hey all, 

Will be back to post shout outs and such. But looking for 4 easy today to finish the week around 32. Happy running! 

PRs: 21:35 (5K); 1:46:46 (HM); 4:30:46 (FM)

mdawg87

Morning donuts!  Calf is much improved today.  I decided to err on the side of caution though and went to the gym for an hour of elliptical.  Did some eccentric calf exercises after.  I'm going to incorporate those into my daily routine from now on.  My Achilles and calves tend be tight and it's now an issue with higher mileage.  I'm hopeful I can run tomorrow but will play it by ear.

sprinkles:  is she as skinny in person as she appears on TV.  I've heard she's very genuine.

cbus:  so glad you're conquering the ITBS.  Any future marathon plans since you're feeling better?

josh:  brrrr...9 degrees...I don't envy you.

docket:  feel better!

PRs:  1:38:10 (HM)  3:32:46 (FM)

WWBurhop

Three Martini Lunch

Morning, all.

Ami: congrats on the 3d place!

Sprinkles: Yeah, I think the entire east coast is socked in.  Gloomy today for us, too.

mdawg:  hope the calf feels better

Hi to everyone else.

I raced this morning.  8K, in 36:17 (7:18 pace).  It is a PR (knocked a couple of minutes off of a very soft PR set at the same race last December), so I'm happy.  I didn't decide to go for it until right before the race.  My thought process, such as it was, was "The faster you run, the less crowded it will be."  So I did. And so it was.  I was happy that the rain let up about an hour before the start, too.  I've run the course a half dozen times, and it is a bit annoying because it has four hairpin U-turns, so it is somewhat slow despite being flat.  And the pavement being slippery from rain makes it tougher.  But the course is through the monumental core in DC, and running through that never gets old.

Running there and back home tacked on 3.8 @ 9:40 average pace.

31.7 total for the week, and 1234.5 for the year.  Which means absolutely nothing other than one, two, three, four (point) five.  I'm easily amused.

M: 3:31:56

HM: 1:37:33

Dreamn

Nice race, Flinders!

Congrats, AmiK.

9 @ 9:06 yesterday and 5 cold and wet miles at 8:59 today.  Tomorrow will be a rest day since I have to travel for work and getting up to run at 4 is not realistic for me.  Ending my first full week back to running with 28.

Feel better, Docket!